Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

lifting a 2WD
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
baghall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:37 pm    Post subject: lifting a 2WD Reply with quote

Hi,
I have just been reading some of the posts on lifting a 2WD but didn't find anything on using syncro springs to do this. I was wondering whether I coud use front and rear springs to lift my bus, as I was told to get springs from a ford for the front. Was hoping that the sycro springs would do. They are in good condition. Also wondering what, if any, other mods are needed, particularly to the front, such as steering, sway bar etc.
Thanks

Included 2 photos from a trip I did near the end of 2014 with her. Over 2000kms covered in 2 weeks finishing with a Kombi Klub weekend.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome Smile

i think syncro springs are actually shorter, the list is done through different suspension, and an added subframe.

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
baghall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubbachicken wrote:
welcome Smile

i think syncro springs are actually shorter, the list is done through different suspension, and an added subframe.

I don't want to read this. I was told that they would give me lift, so if not I have wasted only $200. Will find out soon. Plan to do the work in 2 weeks.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont waste your time, they are shorter.

GW 1.5s, Schwenk 1.5s or Burley parts will lift a 2wd van.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you don't want to read that, read this instead!

http://www.gowesty.com/library_article.php?id=1113

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=23689&category_id=91&category_parent_id=

Do some research before blindly going where others have gone before.
there is more than enough information in the threads to keep you reading for a few daze. Do a search.

Last edited by Steve M. on Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:06 am; edited 1 time in total
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the Syncro front springs are too short and won't help you the Syncro rear springs are longer and will definitely raise it up. Maybe too much. Watch the shock absorber travel range and CV joint angles.

Mark
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow this link into the FAQ section.....

Lots of information, many have blazed a trail for you to follow!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6236054#6236054

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On this same topic, I've read in the past, that the 84 and 85 Westys had the tallest front springs of all Vanagon in stock form. I was wondering if the 84 and 85 springs are the same? I've seen some people say both model years and I've seen others say just the 85 was the tallest.

Assuming the 84 springs are the same as the 85, would swapping a set of 84 springs which I have, lift the front of my current 2wd front end on my 86 Van? If so does anyone know how much I'd gain?
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you're driving a tintop, you can run Westy springs in the back to gain some lift.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been sitting on a pair of Syncro rear springs for a while now. I guess I need to be the guinnea pig to see haw they pair up with my yall 85 front springs. I have a feeling they'll give me too much lift but we'll see. I've got a saggy ass that needs attention...
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benandmj wrote:
I've been sitting on a pair of Syncro rear springs for a while now. I guess I need to be the guinnea pig to see haw they pair up with my yall 85 front springs. I have a feeling they'll give me too much lift but we'll see. I've got a saggy ass that needs attention...

This is what I'm curious of. I'm halfway through my Syncro conversion but the front half will be put on hold till next winter. Due to this I didn't use the Syncro rear springs on my converted van because they would sit way higher than the front being it's still the stock 2wd front end on a tin top body (soon to be pop top).

I've since bought a 84 Westy as a donor for my pop top conversion and I'm curious if I'd get enough lift out of the front springs vs my 86 tin top springs to be able to use the rear synco springs now.
baghall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok guys thanks for the tips very much appreciated. I am definitely using the syncro rear springs was just hoping the fronts were longer as well. I actually got all four springs for $200 which seems like a good price in aussie land. My understanding is the rears will give nearly 2" lift. This may compensate some of the rear sag but will need to pack the drivers side due to the cabinets I am installing.

Looks like I might have to get the Gowesty fronts at some time. I already have an inch lift in the front due to tyre size but am not satisfied with what I have on the rears ATM as they are just too large a diameter, and I am worried about breaking the transaxle.

It's all fun and games till you break something!
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an Austrailian guy who posted in the Prerunner Vans thread with an 85 panel with syncro springs in the back. Not sure whats in his van, it may be light, but it looks pretty raked.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if GW or Schwenks are going to be purchased....all 4 are recommended.
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured I'd give a little research I just did on my own vans..

My 86 2wd (which I'm converting to a Syncro) & the 84 Donor Westy which I have seem to have the exact same ride height.

I measured from the center of the wheel hub to the bottom of the wheel well.

On both vans the front was 17 & 1/8" the Rears were roughly 17 & 1/2"

On my Syncro which doesn't have a motor or rear shocks.

The front was 19 1/2" the rear was 20".

Measuring like this means tire size has no influence and I was able to quickly tell that it seems my 86 tin top has the same springs as the 84 donor.

Another thing to note, is I've removed the roof of the Westy for my pop top swap as well as the rear folding seat/rear cabinets. The Tin Top is also empty inside.

Also keep in mind I've completed the rear half of my Syncro conversion, so the motor/trans sits a bit lower, the gas tank is in the rear and the motor is actually a bit lighter than a stock WBX. Meaning there is still a chance that the Westy springs might give a small amount of lift to the rear but it seems to be the same in the front.
idahoskier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been running syncro rear springs with my stock 85 fronts for a few years now. I really like the spring rate of the syncro springs... With four bikes on the back it barely squats at all. I really wish I could get fronts with the same spring rate. I have added monroe coil over shocks in front and they help a little. The van is still raked but not too bad 18.25" front and 19" rear axle center to fender. Its functional Very Happy

oldskewlsk8ter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idahoskier wrote:
Been running syncro rear springs with my stock 85 fronts for a few years now. I really like the spring rate of the syncro springs... With four bikes on the back it barely squats at all. I really wish I could get fronts with the same spring rate. I have added monroe coil over shocks in front and they help a little. The van is still raked but not too bad 18.25" front and 19" rear axle center to fender. Its functional Very Happy

I really miss that Van. Lookin good tho!
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idahoskier wrote:

Cool! Any CV issues? Also, I can't remember if the wbx is heavier than your suby.
idahoskier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldskewl - Years of happiness and adventure with this van. Thanks again Exclamation

Benandmj - No issues... yet Laughing I have in excess of 20,000 miles like this and I installed new CVs around the time of the lift. I repacked once and flipped them. They looked OK to me at that time. I would wager that they will have a shorter life expectancy because of the lift but I am OK with that. I do not believe there is much of a weight difference between the EJ22 and VW 2.1.
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Westy had Carat springs, so it was "lowered", but I put notably larger wheels and tires on it t bring it back op, so overall height remained about the same, or slightly lower, so I didn't have an MPG penalty from lifting the van, but ground clearance was significantly increased. If Im going to go "offroading" it'll be on 2 wheels or on foot, but the extra ground clearance was nice and came in handy here and there.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: