Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing Dual Port Manifold Boot
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject: Replacing Dual Port Manifold Boot Reply with quote

All- I need to replace the pass side intake manifold boot on my stock DP engine in a 65 bus. You would think this should not be that complicated. I would prefer to not drop the engine for what *ought* to be a fairly straightforward procedure, however there sure is not much roof to work with engine in bus.

Can someone tell me if there is a way to do this without having to take an advanced yoga class or dropping the engine? If you have ever tried to replace this boot you will know the PITA I am talking about
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it years ago so it can be done. I will get back to you if I can remember how I did it.
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would pull the motor.

Both manifold ends and the generator/alternator will need to be removed to replace the boots. And i would do both boots. I don't know if this can be done with engine installed. If so, you'll likely spend more time than if you just drop the motor and do it that way.

www.stanagon.com

My '61 Mango bus thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110367
My '64 vert thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386344
My '71 squareback thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637709
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing Dual Port Manifold Boot Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
All- I need to replace the pass side intake manifold boot on my stock DP engine in a 65 bus.

Can someone tell me if there is a way to do this without having to take an advanced yoga class or dropping the engine?

No. Not "advanced" yoga but some does help. Laughing

Consider the amount of time AND frustration it WILL take versus the same dropping the motor to do it. Treat it as you would to say replace the clutch = motor drop, replce item, inspect all sorts of things while you're at it, reinstall motor, drive away! Should not take more than a couple of hours without rushing it. Think
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanagon wrote:
I don't know if this can be done with engine installed. If so, you'll likely spend more time than if you just drop the motor and do it that way.

It can, but after doing it once you'll drop the motor the next time, everyone has to learn the hard way.
X3 on dropping the motor, the end job will be better quality and no doubt a few other things need looking at or cleaning while you are in there.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will it run well enough to make it here? Bring it down and we'll drop it, check everything out and get it roadtrip ready Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it can be done. I have done it twice on the '69. Pull the carb off. Loosen the boot clamps and then remove the left (driver's side) end casting. Remove the center bolt holding the center manifold section to the block. Slide the center section to the left, pull off the old boots and replace with the new. That is a bitch to do - note "yoga" reference above - re-clamp boots and replace all components.

If you have a good place and the ability to drop the engine I would do so. Take care of all the small stuff while you have the engine out.

I do not have a convenient place to pull the engine and am getting a little old to do so.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all it sounds like an engine drop is in order! Smile Much obliged
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can replace the DP boots by moving a bunch of stuff out of the way with the engine installed.
I think you have to remove air cleaner, carb, fan belt, undo gen strap, undo intake to heat risers, remove thermostat under motor (un bolt thermostat, unscrew thermostat) lift gen out of the way (don't need to remove it IIRC) so you can shift the manifold up so left manifold end can be pulled off. Right side manifold end can stay on head IIRC. Do replace both boots. Watch out for dirt falling into head. shop vac? You will need new intake to heat riser gaskets, and at least one DP manifold to head gasket.

It may be about the same work as pulling the motor, as getting to the boots is much easier with the engine out.
Do the oil cooler seals and main seal need replacing as well? fuel line? Clutch? Top tranny oil? axle boots?

There is a similar debate about pulling the motor to replace the generator.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not all that needs replacing is that one boot. The boots are brand new but unknown to me one of the boots had a vertical crack in the seam , letting the air and and making the engine run like crap. From the sounds of it it is easier to drop the engine than dismantling everything just to replace a simple boot. Somebody should really step up and make a boot that doesn't require dropping the engine to install Smile
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
Believe it or not all that needs replacing is that one boot. The boots are brand new but unknown to me one of the boots had a vertical crack in the seam , letting the air and and making the engine run like crap. From the sounds of it it is easier to drop the engine than dismantling everything just to replace a simple boot. Somebody should really step up and make a boot that doesn't require dropping the engine to install Smile

I would love it if "someone" would make better boots. Each time I look at the latest reviews on TS and get the **best** ones. So far all of the boots on my engine started cracking after 2-3 years.
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just downgrade to single port heads, no f'in boots to worry about.

www.stanagon.com

My '61 Mango bus thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110367
My '71 squareback thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637709
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanagon wrote:

Downgrade?
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
Stanagon wrote:

Downgrade?

Shhh, then everybody will be doing it.

www.stanagon.com

Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some 16 years ago I was sold a pair of black manifold boots, which lasted only a few months before cracks appeared. I went back to the ruddy-colored ones and never had a problem with them.
The 1958 walk-thru camper that I bought for $150 (that is not a misprint) some 20 years ago came with two engines. One of them, an "H" single port engine, went into my 1963 camper after I finished restoring it 12 years ago. All I did to it was convert it to a dog house cooler, install an alternator, and install new pushrod tubes and gaskets. That sucker is still in my 1963 camper. A bonus is that the single port engine does not have the "pause" that dual port engines have when taking off in first and second gears.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: