Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Generator stand louvered gasket?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ztnoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject: Generator stand louvered gasket? Reply with quote

I had to remove the generator stand and fan from the '73 Thing ("parts car") I'm working on.
I got the engine to run but various gas leaks in intake manifold rubber boot gaskets and the fuel pump have lead to some basic top side housekeeping.
When I removed the stand, the louvered metal gasket under the stand was facing with the flat part of the "quarter moon" toward the right bank of cylinders, 1 & 2, with the louvers protruding into the oil filler hole in the block. I know the louvers are to point downward into the filler hole.

I have literature which shows the flat portion of the "quarter moon" louvered area of the gasket should face rearward, toward the flywheel.
I'm confused about which is correct, given what I found physically in place and what I have read. The two conflict.
What is the correct position for the gasket under the generator stand?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scott H
Samba Luddite

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was correct the way it was installed. The flat part goes toward the #1 & 2 cylinders.

Your literature showing it with the flat toward the flywheel must've been the Tom Wilson book. The Wilson book I have has a note on the picture stating to see the caption, where there is a correction saying to rotate the plate 90 degrees so that the flat edges are toward the #1 and #2 cylinders, same as the Bentley states.

hth
ztnoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Generator stand louvered gasket? Reply with quote

Gentlemen,
I was dressed down several places yesterday for my post "Generator stand louvered gasket?".
Not necessarily for my question about placement of the louvered gasket, but for my description of front and rear.
It's been made very clear to me this is a sensitive issue among VW aficionados.
It was a matter of my terminology.
I've "got it" now....front is front, rear is rear.

I admitted up front when I began posting I am a green novice to VW mechanical work.
I've got three Things I'm currently working one, each with differing problems, and I always have about 147 thoughts going on in my head about the complexities and peculiarities of each vehicle's problems.
I have five manuals and books I am working from and the information as to specific procedures sometimes conflicts, which adds to my confusion about what is proper and acceptable.

The odd thing to me is that at the three sites I posed the question, respondents knew exactly what I meant in terms of direction.
The problem was my jargon.
I apologize for my linguistic frailties.
Front is front, rear is rear. Got it.

Thanks for your help.

ztnoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: