Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bostig V1 trailer hitch question
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pianobrooks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Bostig V1 trailer hitch question Reply with quote

I've recently installed a used Bostig V1 in my 84 Westy, and would like to add a hitch that is capable of holding a cargo box (not an actual trailer). Currently my westy has a tow bar but the ball is a permanent component; there is no square receiver that could be used to attach a cargo box.

My question is, does anyone know whether I could mount a GoWesty hitch in place of my current tow bar? Would there by a mounting issue with the bostig? I know the GW hitch is designed to sit snugly under the bumper, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was interference. I asked GW and they weren't sure.

And on another note, for Bostig V1 owners: is there a separate online forum where you all hang out, or is this it?

Thanks ~

- Brooks
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Go Westy hitch has a brace to triangulate it off the toe eyes and the stock engine carrier. I had looked at buying one for my Vanagon. I ended up fabricating my own to work with the TDI. I notice the Bostig puts the muffler on the side similar to mine. Perhaps you could do something similar.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All -

I have the GoWesty 2" receiver hitch on my van and will be installing a Bostig this Spring. Has anyone modified the GW receiver to fit with a Bostig? Alternatively, what receiver hitches are folks using with their Bostig vans?

My intended use is for a two-bike hitch mounted rack.

Thanks.

Jim

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Hi All -

I have the GoWesty 2" receiver hitch on my van and will be installing a Bostig this Spring. Has anyone modified the GW receiver to fit with a Bostig? Alternatively, what receiver hitches are folks using with their Bostig vans?

My intended use is for a two-bike hitch mounted rack.

Thanks.

Jim

Your GW towloop variety would need to me modified. The "stiffener bar" redesigned to clear exhaust.

The current crop of true hitch/receivers should all work with your engine transplant. None are "cheap". Each is of as good or better quality than the big name fabricators like "Reese" etc..

Have a look in the FAQs on "hitch" and "towing".. There are literally dozens of threads on hitches and towing and bike racks. I have one in there somewhere on installing the Burley version (lots of pics)

Better options than the GW hitch (but pricer):
Burley builds a hidden hitch.. (works with the original bumper)
RMW builds a hidden hitch (works with the original bumper) and they also build an integrated bumper w/ hitch.
GWesty builds an integrated bumper hitch.

Each of these products installs in the subframe channels and avoid any interference with the engine/exhaust area. They are pretty bombproof.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
rockfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along j_dirge's train of thought:

Perhaps a larger investment than what you have in mind, but the GW steel plate bumper has the hitch sleeve integrated into the bumper...and there is no stiffener bar that would interfere with Bostig engine. Instead the two mounting brackets run farther back into the chassis. Check out the GW installation video as well.

Only downside is that they're out of stock at the moment.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
- John Wooden
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. I was hoping to see if there were any cut n weld modifications to a GoWesty hitch for the Bostig versus spending $ on a new hitch and selling sell the GW hitch. Maybe I'll just go with the Burley which is a far better solution if this van every actually tows anything.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: