Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Blinking temp light does not work
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject: Blinking temp light does not work Reply with quote

Morning! So, flashing coolant light not working as of this morning. It flashed a few random times while driving this morning which had me pulling over. Coolant level was perfect in both tanks.

The temp gauge works (and is reading normal) it's just the blinking light that's quit. No flashing upon starting, no flashing ever now.

Sorry if this is a redundant thread; feel free to redirect me.

Thanks!

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote." - Melville
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When mine was blinking 24/7 thousands of miles from home I just loosened the little nut that holds the plastic foil right behind it and it went completely out.

So, in your situation, you might check to make sure that nut is snug.
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Ahwahnee, I forgot to mention that I had explored the foil and connections behind that gauge, all was tightened & normal.

Hmm..

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote." - Melville
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, I would pull the connector off the sensor on the tank and see if that causes it to blink (it should).

If it does blink with that then the problem would seem to be a shorted sensor (though I have never heard of this, usually they fail by being open even when immersed).

If it still does not blink that would suggest a short somewhere else (perhaps).
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unplugged the sensor, still no blink. Dumb question but can the bulb itself fail?

crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The temp gauge led should blink at least a few times every time you turn on the key. If it doesn't then it can't be because of anything in the engine compartment. It must be something up front, probably in the dash, most likely in the cluster.

As usual it is possibly a ground issue. The blinking led in the temp gauge uses a ground path in the cluster that the gauge needle doesn't use. When that ground path gets weak the led can flash when it shouldn't. When the ground path goes away completely the led can't flash at all. The needle will still work in either case.

Check those 3 nuts again, one of them is part of this ground. I would remove them, clean things, and put back.

Sure, the red led could itself fail but that is pretty rare. The led is part of a tiny circuit board inside the gauge and other parts on it can fail too. Either way you would pretty much need a different gauge unless electronic surgery is something you are familiar with.

Does everything else in the cluster work correctly now?

Mark

childofthewind wrote:
Unplugged the sensor, still no blink. Dumb question but can the bulb itself fail?
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ground stud on the back of the gauge should show 0 ohms between the stud and the chassis, correct?
the craigness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine does this every morning coupled with the temp needle going all the way off the scale until about 30 seconds to a minute of running then it goes to normal. I'm suspecting a bad ground behind the dash. Anyone else have an idea?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took out the instrument cluster today, tightened the nuts behind the gauges and voila, it's flashing normally again. (between when I initially posted this and now the flashing came back but wouldn't go away, this time. Now it's flashing just for a few seconds right after starting, like it should!)

Next up is draining my tranny fluid to see how things are looking...

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: