Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Top canvas mating with windows...
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
grainger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Top canvas mating with windows... Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Is this normal... the canvas not mating with the windows?

If not, how do I fix it?
erdonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Mating top canvas and sides Reply with quote

On mine, it seems to be caused by a bent top frame. I have seen a lot of Things with the same problem. None are perfect, but a lot are like yours (and mine). I'm eventually going to get a new or good used top frame, canvas, and side curtains. One other by-product on mine is that the bent top frame has pulled the windshield back.

Ed
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Top canvas mating with windows... Reply with quote

grainger wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Is this normal... the canvas not mating with the windows?

If not, how do I fix it?

It's an endemic problem. The top frame has some typical weak spots. A poorly installed top can exacerbate the issue. Greg at German Motor Works can take your frame apart, weld on appropriate reinforcements, and put it back together, resetting the giant rivets at the hinge. Better than new, and I think less $ than new. I think I read Mike Basso provides a similar service, but I'm not sure.

Be sure to have the top canvas properly reinstalled, and then ensure that you are raising and lowering it properly, or the problem will re-occur.
Big Luni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, does your top have the side clips riveted on? Alot of replacement tops don't have them, but you can pick up a set cheap from most Thing suppliers. Even if the frame is a little bent, those can help alot.
chinarider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's VERY normal for Things. The type of metal used for the soft top frame had to flex enough to deal with the physics of lift (same as an airplane wing) at speed, yet be rigid enough to keep it's shape. Metal that's too soft would look much worse than most of our soft tops do after 30+ years, and metal that's too rigid could potenially crack and break apart. Colder climates exacerbate the problem.

In addition to GMW and Things Unlimited, the Thing Shop sells reinforcement bars that you can weld in place, that'll straighten out & stiffen up the frame.

I got satisfactory results by simply hammering the metal back into shape, using a combination of hardwoods and clamps. It's remained relatively straight for a few years now, but I'm planning on replacing it in time (you can only bend metal so much).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: