Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tubing flanges - what are they called?
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:19 am    Post subject: Tubing flanges - what are they called? Reply with quote

What is the name of the flanges used to join two sections of tubing for a removable section of cage or bridge the body? (muffler clamp, tubing flange, thingy?)

Should they be caps (closed ended) or open and welded around the tubing like muffler clamp?

Where is the best place to buy them?
http://offroadwarehouse.com/i-11643862-synergy-tub...thick.html

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Flanges"..... I would prefer open end as you can slide a pair of flanges on tube (bolted together with washer spacer), and weld frame member into place, and then weld "flanges" in exact place you want them and then remove bolts and then cut tube with hacksaw, and you have perfectly aligned "connection"...

This site has tons of precut parts for just thing you are doing...

http://www.aa-mfg.com/

Site search results shows...

http://www.aa-mfg.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=flange

Get their "free" catalog... And they do custom orders and will give quote if you send them a sketch...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
prctowd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another supplier for all kinds of brackets and such. They are in my town so I can just will call them. www.tabzone.com

Jeff
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roll cage tube connectors/billet tube clamps are a bit slicker for joining sections of tubing

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1CAASUA_enUS589U...ZXF_YsXWcw

ammocan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Tubing flanges - what are they called? Reply with quote

heywebonya wrote:
What is the name of the flanges used to join two sections of tubing for a removable section of cage or bridge the body? (muffler clamp, tubing flange, thingy?)

Should they be caps (closed ended) or open and welded around the tubing like muffler clamp?

Where is the best place to buy them?
http://offroadwarehouse.com/i-11643862-synergy-tub...thick.html

I agree with the previous remarks about how these should fit. If you make proper preparations and order pipe flanges then your better off. Factory pipe flanges slide over the pipe and with perfect fit for welding and often have slightly elongated bolt holes to make bolting together easier. In theory your alignment will be perfect with factory ones unless you don't get them rotated and aligned on the 360° axis.
I made mine the way I did because it was just too easy to make a flat plate rather than cutting an opening for the pipe to slide in. If you have to do garage made ones like me then that would be entirely too much effort. Just take the extra 30 seconds to make sure your parts are properly aligned and weld together. If you take your time (which isn't much for these) you can get a nice finished product and no one will know it's not a factory part and I doubt mine is lacking in any strength but again even I would rather get these out of a box than make my own.

Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use the slip over flanges you can also use a sleeve inside the pipe to add strength and aid in alignment of the tubes.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: