Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ecotec fuel system question
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject: Ecotec fuel system question Reply with quote

I'm not a regular on this side of the forum, but you guys seem to have done a decent amount of Ecotec swaps over here.

I'm very close to being finished with an Ecotec 2.4 swap into a Vanagon Syncro. I'm trying to sort out my fuel system, which is my last hurdle. My engine has the fuel pressure regulator built into the fuel rail however it is a return less system (I assume all ecotecs are return less).

I'm curious how everyone tends to deal with the fuel systems on these engines? Do you just use the stock fuel pressure regulator and allow the computer to control the fuel pressure by the fuel pump or are you adding aftermarket fuel pressure regulators and creating a return system?

If you go the second route, what do you do about the pressure regulator on the stock fuel rail?
shephard_scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know only the 02-05 2.2 ecotec engines had a fuel pressure regulator built into the rail. This would mean it would have a return line. When the 2.2 went to throttle by wire and the 2.4 came out they switched to controlling the fuel pressure by pulse width modulating (on and off time) the fuel pump. You will have to use an external fuel pressure regulator and run a return line from that back to the tank. As another option look through the forums and you will see some people using a fuel filter assembly that has a pre set regulator built into it with a return line coming out. I believe they were used on jeeps. I have the 2003 2.2 engine that has 2 lines off of the fuel rail so I never had to mess with any of that.
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shephard_scott wrote:
As far as I know only the 02-05 2.2 ecotec engines had a fuel pressure regulator built into the rail. This would mean it would have a return line. When the 2.2 went to throttle by wire and the 2.4 came out they switched to controlling the fuel pressure by pulse width modulating (on and off time) the fuel pump. You will have to use an external fuel pressure regulator and run a return line from that back to the tank. As another option look through the forums and you will see some people using a fuel filter assembly that has a pre set regulator built into it with a return line coming out. I believe they were used on jeeps. I have the 2003 2.2 engine that has 2 lines off of the fuel rail so I never had to mess with any of that.

Mine is the 2.4 with the drive by wire. The fuel rail has a pressure regulator on the end and it has no return lines.

This is a picture of it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Do you guys think I need to find a fuel rail off an older 2.2 with no regulator and just use the aftermarket regulator with the return or has anyone been successful using the stock regulator and allowing the computer to regulate the fuel supply?

Edited for better pic
shephard_scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That isn't a fuel regulator, I'm not sure why they put that section on there, if it was a regulator it would have a return line. You will more than likely have to use an external fuel regulator, every swap I have saw had to. Alpha Fab Industries here in Michigan would be a good place to contact. They deal with 2.4 liter engine swaps.
takotruckin
SUPER Baja

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a pulse dampener to prevent fuel pressure spikes as the fuel injectors are firing. You will need an external regulator.
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks for the replies all. I've ordered an external adjustable fuel pressure regulator, as well as the adapter to go from the GM fuel line fitting to the 6AN style with the corresponding fuel hose & fittings.

I haven't picked up a fuel pump at this time, I'm going to first test with the stock inline vanagon pump to see if it's enough or if I'll need a higher volume pump (engine will be bone stock).
shephard_scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the pump you use builds the correct pressure the volume should be fine. What I found listed for 2.4 engines is fuel pressure 50-60 psi and and pressure should not drop more than 5 psi after 1 minute of being off.
Alpha Fab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2006+ 2.2 and 2.4's run very high FP. 58 PSI, to be exact. Make sure the pump your using is meant to be computer driven!You'll get surging right away if the pump is incorrect. Also keep in mind the danger of running lean without the right FP!

Specializing in EFI systems engineering, design and tuning for the GM Ecotec Platform.
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha Fab wrote:
The 2006+ 2.2 and 2.4's run very high FP. 58 PSI, to be exact. Make sure the pump your using is meant to be computer driven!You'll get surging right away if the pump is incorrect. Also keep in mind the danger of running lean without the right FP!

Just saw your post. Yea I went with an E200 I think it was Ford electric fuel pump. Was a very common fuel pump from the 80's EFI fuel injection motors they ran and it was threaded on the exit side of the pump allowing my the adapt a 6AN fitting.

The van has now going on 3k miles with the conversion and it's been running pretty much flawless. This is an older picture of the install. It's completed now but I haven't taken any up to date pictures of it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: