Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vaman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: 35PDSITs Reply with quote

I swapped my Kadrons for a pair of 35PDSITs because they have chokes. I had to modify the linkage a lot. Now I find that the throttle plates do not return to their closed position because there are no return springs on these carbs.

Anyone else face this problem and solve it?
dma1260
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Distributor - tight / loose ? ! Reply with quote

Hey - this is a great thread ! Thanks you for all the info.

I got duel 40/44 ESI Kadron's on my 1700 engine. I have 7,000 miles on them, they were running fine up until about 500 miles ago. I started to get a Popping out of my exhaust when I put the engine under a load (lower RPMs) in 2nd and 3rd gear.

I adjusted valves - timing - and mixture screws. Synched carbs (using Uni-Synch tool) got a great idol going, very smooth. But when I step on the accelerator - I get POP POP POP in the same RPM range. Here is my question:

I pulled my .009 distributor and noticed that the shaft is loose - it has some play in it when I spin it. Also it spins with NO resistance. I have a second distributor that I can drop in - but the shaft on the back up Distributor has NO play in it and can be turned easily by hand - but it does have some resistance,
as I mentioned - it can be easily turned by hand. Is this considered normal ? and if my other Distributor is loose - could that cause a misfire ?

Any and all info is appreciated !

Thanks,

Tony
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thought I would add this video on carb sync. Sometimes its easier to understand by seeing it in action.

Link

AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale posted up these sheets from the Pierce site that should help others with the process.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

CARBURETOR SET UP AND
LEAN BEST IDLE ADJUSTMENT

It is important to follow all linkage and lever installation instructions. The number one and two reasons for tuning errors are improper linkage installations and over tightened linkage nut, causing a binding in linkage assembly.

CALIBRATIONS MAY VARY DUE TO REGIONAL FUELS AND STATE OF ENGINE TUNE AND PERFORMANCE. POOR RUNNING QUALITY DOES NOT MEAN A DEFECT IN THE CARBURETOR. AN ADVANTAGE OF THE WEBER CARBURETOR IS ITS EASE OF ADJUSTMENT AND TUNING.

SET UP ADJUSTMENTS

Start set up by confirming carb base line settings. Do not depend on the factory delivered settings. Check them before the carb is installed.

All settings are done with choke disengaged or warmed up so that the choke is fully opened and disengaged. This is done on automatic choke carburetors by first opening the choke butterfly by hand and inserting a wood block or wedge of some kind to hold open while the linkage is cycled (linkage operated through its full movement ) to clear the choke cam. (You will hear a metallic click as the cam is released. You can check the fast Idle screw under the choke assembly to confirm that it is not in contact with the choke fast idle cam.)

Set the Idle stop screw (speed screw see fig 1) by backing out the Idle speed screw until it is not in contact with the throttle stop lever. Cycle the linkage again to be sure that the linkage comes to close without any assistance. (Checking for linkage bind) Now bring screw back into contact with the lever and continue to open or screwing in 1 turn no more than 11/2 turns.

Set the mixture screw (see Fig 1) by first screwing in until the screw stops, bottoms out. DO NOT FORCE OR BIND AS THIS WILL CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE SCREW AND IT’S SEAT IN THE BODY OF CARBURETOR. Back out the screw 2 full turns.

TUNING
BE SURE TO FOLLOW THE NEXT INSTRUCTIONS IN THE PROPER SEQUENCE, DEVIATION WILL CAUSE THE CARBURETOR TO NOT FUNCTION TO ITS IDEAL SPECIFICATIONS AND MAY NOT PROVIDE THE PERFORMANCE AND FUEL ECONOMY AS DESIGNED.

4a. Start the engine, the engine will run very slowly more like a tractor. As long as the engine stays running idle speed is not important at this point.

4b. The first thing to do is not set up the idle speed, but to set the Idle mixture screw to lean best idle setting. First, turn in the mixture screw until the engine dies or runs worse, then back out the screw (recommend turning ¼ to ½ turn at a time). The engine should pick up speed and begin to smooth out. Back out ½ turn more, or until the screw does nothing or runs worse then turn back to the point where it ran its best. Use your ear, not a scope or tuning instruments at this point. You want to tune the engine by sound. Adjust to best, fastest and smoothest running point.

4c. Now that the mixture screw is at its best running location, you can adjust the Idle speed the screw. The screw will be sensitive and should only take ¼ to ½ turns to achieve the idle speed you like. Check and set idle to your driving preference. Put the car in gear and apply slight load, (AC on) and set the Idle as you like it. Don’t set it too high, as this will cause causes excessive clutch and brake wear. The Idle only needs to be 7 to 900 RPM with light load or AC on.

5. Recheck timing and vacuum hook ups. Recheck mixture screw to lean best idle again. If all is still best and smoothest idle then confirm and note the final settings. To confirm settings with the engine running. Start by screwing in the mixture screw and count the number of turns it takes to bottom out and note if the engine dies. If Idle Mixture screws are with in ½ turn of base line setting then all is well and have fun. Also check the speed screw and note how many total turns from initial contact. You may have opened (turned in) the speed screw. Your final setting should be under 2 full turns. Reset the screws (back in) to the best final settings (Per your notes) and go on a test drive and have fun. If the settings are other than described then you may want to recalibrate the Idle circuit (low speed circuit) to your engines needs. This is done by following the rule of thumb BELOW.

Simple Rules for low speed calibration

If the mixture screw is more than 2 1/2 turns out turns then the Idle jet is too lean (too Small). When the mixture screw is less than 11/2 then the Idle jet is too rich (too large). These assumptions are based on the fact that the speed screw setting is not opened more than 11/2 turns. If the speed screw has to be opened 2 or more turns then this is also an indication of a lean condition usually requiring greater change. At times it may appear to be showing signs of richness or flooding it is really a lean condition. See pictures and notes in the tech 2 article supplied in the kit instructions, view and please understand the need to keep throttle plate as near to closed as possible so as not to prematurely expose the transition holes. This is what causes the visible rich condition, and confirms the need to increase the jet size.

EXAMPLE: With the speed screw set at no more than (1 1/2) turns in after contact with the stop lever; and the best idle occurring with the mixture screw set at 3 turns from bottom, indicates the need for a larger Idle jet. Achieving the best idle at under 2 turns indicates the need for a smaller idle jet.

The secret to understanding the critical nature of the carburetor set up and the advantages of a WEBER over other carburetors is the Idle circuit. Referred to as the low speed circuit by Weber, this circuit is responsible for 80% of the driving operation. This is the reason that the Weber should give a fuel economy improvement over most factory carbs along with significant performance gains. In the worst case you should not see a significant fuel economy loss over stock, while improving HP & Drivability.

IDF / DCOE / IDA / 38 DGAS Adjustments
Addendum to lean Best Idle adjustments Notes and adjustments for IDF and DCOE Carburetors

All adjustment procedures are the same as the progressive carbs. It is important to understand the dynamic differences of the two carb styles Progressive and Synchronous carbs Or better described as individual runner carbs.
The progressive idles through barrel and one mixture screw hole, then transitions to a secondary barrel with an additional Idle / low speed jet. The Individual Runner carbs IDF and DCOE have individual Idle jets and mixture screws for each barrel. They also have an additional air bleed screw and lock nut. This is not used for Idle adjustment or Idle quality. The settings for this screw should be closed.
The Main adjustments Speed and Mixture Screw for the individual runner carbs have different values than the Progressive. They tend to be ½ of those used on the progressive

Standard IDF & DCOE Settings

Speed screw ¼ to ½ turn in after contact with lever. Mixture Screw 1 turn out from seated

Follow the same basic procedures as used with the progressive carbs with the exception that there is no choke system and no need to clear the choke cam.

It is important to be very sure there is no throttle shaft bind or over tightened levers. This is the number one reason for most adjustment and tuning problems.

The rules of thumb still hold true the base line settings are only the starting point. The example would be If your mixture screw is out more than one turn like 11/2 turns then your idle jet is too lean go up one half size on the Idle jet not main jet. If you mixture screw is not out one full turn something like only 1/2 turn out from seat then your Idle jet is too rich. This is all based on the important fact that your speed screws are not open more than ½ turn if they are then that is also an indication that you have a lean Idle circuit. You are cheating by opening the throttle plates and exposing additional progression holes in the transition.

These carbs are also commonly used in pairs, this makes the synchronization important please be sure when ever balancing twin carbs to bring the high carb down to the low carb, then bring them both up to proper idle speed demands.
'72Westy-Betsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Replacing "needle" and "seat" on Dellort Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm looking to replace the needles and seats in my Dellorto FRD 34 B carbs. I have a few questions that I could really use answers to.

This link:

http://www.cbperformance.com/searchresults.asp?cat=131

takes me to a great exploded view of the carb, it only seems to show one needle and float in the carb, is that all there is? Also is the"seat" the housing that the needle valve sits in? There is nothing called a "seat" in the part diagram...

This link:

http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=2743

takes you to a rebuild kit for the carb. Is it possible to remove the carb, open the top half of the carb to replace the needle valve and the float, if needed, without having to then reset the air/fuel mixture? Also, will the fuel pump rate be affected by doing this?

If there is a good post that addresses all this please let me know.

Thanks a lot for your posts.

'72Westy-Betsy
campervan12000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Brosol twin carbs Reply with quote

Hello, I am new to this forum and am trying to pick it up as I go along, be patient, I bought a rail with a running engine and I know the carbs to be Brosols, cos that's whats stamped on them. The distributor is an 050, Any idea of the exact type of carb and the best distributor to run with them? Thanks....

Any advice would much appreciated.
1970 Cabriolet Beetle
1972 Bay Window
1973 Beetle Rally Yellow 1303
1991 Passat Estate 1.8 Silver metallic
2003 Passat Estate 1.9 Red TDI Anthracite metallic Passat
1999 2.0 New Beetle Cyber Green metallic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally am not a fan of ANY dual single barrel carbs even the stock carbs that came on type 3s or late type 2s. I would rather run a stock PICT 30 than to spend money on a "stepping stone" type dual carb setup.

Those look to be PDSITs like the ones sold by SCAT and are known to be difficult to tune correctly.

http://scatvw.com/master/carb_kits/solex_carbs.shtml

They have a port to use a SVDA type distributor but not sure if they pull enough vacuum to make it work correctly. All of the current production SVDA distributors are made in china (YES EVEN THE PETRONIX) and have stiff vacuum cans and other issues to work out so beware.

The 050 is an all mechanical advance and was a known as a mileage distributor back in the day but are no longer produced. I personally plot the curve on any used distributor as many are altered or just plain worn out and may damage your engine if not working correctly.

With that setup on a stockish engine it should work OK as long as the carbs are jetted appropriately, synced, and the distributor is working correctly and timing is per spec.

Like mentioned at the beginning of the post if your engine is not healthy the carbs will make it worse.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
I personally am not a fan of ANY dual single barrel carbs even the stock carbs that came on type 3s or late type 2s. I would rather run a stock PICT 30 than to spend money on a "stepping stone" type dual carb setup.

Them's wise words. I would add to that a single two barrel.

Dan
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on fishers vid, he should of synchronized all 4 bbls, and set the opening times different,you can't see both sides at the same time, use your finger on one side and look at the other so you can see and feel them both moving/opening at the same time.also oil those moving parts!!!kinda sounded like it might of needed a valve lash adjustment too. but over all it was a good vid for the first timers.also 2 snails are better than one Shocked
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After noon all I have a pair of Dell 40 carbs now all four throttle valves are opened the same and all bypass screws are closed. Now three of the barrels have a reading of 6 on my snail gauge but barrel 3 has a higher reading of 7 does this matter?
If so i take it I should open the air bypass screw on its parter barrel number 4 to read 7 as well and then turn the throttle stop screw on the other carb witch both barrels read 6 to increase there rading to 7. Now if I do this the throttle valves/butterflies on this carb will be open more than compared to the other carb does this matter
Tmagz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys! Don't mean to hijack this post but I saw that a lot of knowledgeable, dual carb people, are talking and asking questions on this feed. I couldn't resist asking; Does anyone have any knowledge of dual holleys?

I don't have a lot of money so I get my parts at swap meets. Working on a dual setup for my first motor (1800cc). I noticed that the vw crowd runs a TON on carburation on their cars. How do you run so much carburation on such a small motor and still maintain good pull/idle/throttle response? Thanks guys
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is me trying to explain that last week
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=626072&highlight=120+degrees
Tmagz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Modok! I liked your posts on that thread, lots of knowledge and funny! I think some of these people do live on venus... I saw that you were talking about creating a formula including cfm. I am currently a mathematics student in college so I may be able to help you play around with that.

Also, I'm getting mixed reviews from people. Do you think that dual holley bugspray 200cfm carburetors (~23.75mm venturies) on an 1800cc vw engine is an appropriate amount of carburation? Max rpm will be about 5500rpm (Don't want to beat the crap out of it) but I do want it to run crisp! Kinda "shut down" the haters out there, you know?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The size of the carburetors is OK, however those aren't really intended to be used as "IR carbs". The problems you may run into:
lack of jetting adjustment (no main air bleed and no emulsion tube)
some cylinder running richer than the others if one barrel steals the other's standoff because they don't have separate velocity stacks, and it may go wonky in turns because the float bowls aren't supposed to be side to side. Float bowls are supposed to point forward.

they tried it in the 1970 "the how to hotrod" book and it kind worked. Mark Tucker ran those too and kinda worked. not ideal, but better than a progressive!
doug80
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject: manifolds missfit ? Reply with quote

I got this set of dual delorto 45 used with the manifolds but after tying to install them the cross bar linkage will not clear the top of the generator, nor is the crossbar long enough to reach the other carb.
Im wondering if i might have the manifolds for weber carbs.. Help
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm refreshing a dual carb'd motor that I'll be dropping in next month.

One of the things I want to install is a dual oxygen sensor kit - like in the link below.

Which 2 exhaust pipes should I use to read the o2?

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lm2.php

Or should I just get the AEM 4 channel kit?

http://www.aemelectronics.com/?q=products/wideband...controller
Amrth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread

My first post in samba! Thanks you for such a knowledgeable thread. I have picked up a 64 Std with 1700cc motor with dul carb setup.

This thread help me understand what this setup is all about.

Cheers,
george4888 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

Does anyone have a link showing how to cut out access panels in a 1964 Beetle or any Beetle compartment, so I can install my dual Weber carbs and later on, be able to access the number one and three spark plugs and adjust the mixture screws ? Thanks.

---George K. ---
www.bayareavwclub.com
1969 Beetle, 2007cc engine

"Life is hard, but it's harder when you are stupid."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
subhuman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

here is one on the weber windows
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=512166&highlight=weber+windows

you can have everything you want, just don't want so much!

"the wrong way always seems the more reasonable."
george moore

1963 type1
2002 Subaru Wrx

never argue with an idiot, they will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
Mark Twain
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hebygb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Dual Carburetor How To Thread Reply with quote

I have dual carb set up (Delorto 44s) The left carb has two hose barbs, the right carb one. On the left carb, when I removed it, I forgot to note which barb had the hose from my fuel tank, and which connected to the right side carb. Can anyone help me out?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: