Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru 2.5L Turbo in a 85 Westy?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WestyMeg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Subaru 2.5L Turbo in a 85 Westy? Reply with quote

I'm hoping someone can help me here. A guy has a 2.5L Subaru Turbo engine (think it's an '06) for sale and I'm really looking into a conversion for my '85 Westy (plan on taking it cross country and back in a couple summers). The big question is, will it fit? If anyone has any idea please let me know. Also, any resources for the conversion would be appreciated as well.

Thanks folks! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncromikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup it'll fit. It's a bit tight because of all the stuff you'll need to get in there but it's been done a number of times. The power is amazing. My van is now truly a treat to drive. It's nice not having to worry about having tonnes of people pass you waving as they go by with one finger. Shocked
If you're thinking about getting this engine there are a number of things you should see if you can get with it. I believe the 06 has an immobilizer you'll need to deal with and the easiest would be to get the entire harness along with a few other necessary bits and bobs to get it to run.
Here's a link to my favourite thread. Very Happy
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=528954&highlight=

Cheers,
Mike

My build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=528954
WestyMeg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike! I will read up on it. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JPrato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This engine requires an aftermarket ECU according to Small Car's website. It does have the immobilizer. I don't know if you used the car's gauge cluster and key switch that you could use the stock harness and ECU. It seems like you could but that is a lot of work. I thought about using our 06 Legacy GT turbo in our Westy some day but I'm not sure now. Some how, I managed to break a piston land on cylinder number 4 and the engine now needs a complete tear down. I'm sure with the engine running well it would be awesome in the Westy but with know piston and valve train problems, not to mention the "banjo nut filter screen problem" I'm not sure I want to mess with such a "delicate" engine. I guess I'm just spoiled by 03 Jetta 1.8T engine. At 192k it just keeps on purring with only routine maintenance!

Edit: and BTW I don't baby the 1.8T. I love to give it some "exercise" now and then. On ramps are fun!

87 Syncro Tin Top project
84 Westy, 2.5L Subaru power
06 Subaru 2.5 turbo in waiting
46 Cessna 140

Last edited by JPrato on Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call John at European Auto Tech in Tucson, Az:

http://www.europeanautotech.net/meet-the-team

He did this to a '90 Westy and matched it to a Porsche G50 5-speed transmission. It puts out 250hp. Scary fast.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncromikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need an aftermarket ECU. You don't need to buy from SmallCar. The ECU that comes with the car is just fine. If the year you purchase has an immobilizer (which I believe the 06 does) you need three parts from that car. First you need the ECU, second the key that runs the car (with the microchip in it and not just the valet key (which typically is grey in colour) and the immobilizer module. If you can you'll also need to get the antenna for the immobilizer which is the ring on the ignition switch itself. It's the ring that lights up circling the hole where the key goes in. If you have all three ... Ok, maybe four ... you should have no problem getting it up and running. I believe there are other ways too but I haven't tried those yet so I can't comment ... Yet ...

As for the filtered banjo bolt ... Well there is quite a bit of controversy on that ... In my eyes, it's there for a reason and I've left the filter in it cause, well it is a filter for the turbo and replacing a 10 dollar bolt every once in a while is a whole lot cheaper than replacing a turbo. It is a filter and as with any filter it will need to be occasionally changed. Filters plug if they are not cleaned, it is in their nature.

Delicate engine ... Bahhahaha! With regular maintenance and the proper fluids these guys will last just like any other engine. I've got tears from laughing so hard ... Delicate engine ... Good one!

"Subaru gears" has a nice option as well to use a Subaru 5spd transaxle. I looked into the Porsche G50 tranny but couldn't find one at a reasonable price. I ended up beefing up my stock transaxle to match the 300+hp the van is putting out currently. Once Subaru gears gets their syncro conversion all worked out and for sale ... I'll be looking at that too. One more highway gear would be really nice to have. Two extra would even be better ... Hint, hint ... Subaru Gears.

It boils down to doing a lot of research. Take everything, including from me, with a grain of salt.

Cheers,
Mike

My build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=528954
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: