Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aftermarket Parts Quality
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

What aftermarket parts are better in quality?
Sheet Metal
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Interior Parts
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Exterior Parts
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Engine Parts
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Seals
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Suspension Parts
22%
 22%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 9

carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:47 am    Post subject: Aftermarket Parts Quality Reply with quote

I was thinking of how aftermarket parts have (or haven't) changed in quality over the years. I restored my 1965 beetle in 1998 and am currently restoring my 1961 beetle. Looking back at how crappy some of the aftermarket parts I used on my 1965 and having to replace them, once again and sometimes not finding any better quality parts to use, I was curious if anyone thought that the quality of parts and fitment is getting better? I read SSSSSOOOO many grumblings of parts not fitting, parts not lasting, etc...etc..etc... What does everyone else think?? You would think after ALL of the years these companies have made aftermarket parts, they could tweak them and get them to factory specs??

"Just When you think you are getting ahead, you're always wrong."
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A local vendor has told me on more than one occasion that I'd have to file this or that to make a part fit. For instance, I bought a new urethane coupler and the "Y" was too narrow to accept the shift rod. On another occasion, a new clutch pedal shaft had the clutch-pin hole in the wrong place. I was told by the same vendor to remove some of the metal at the opening that accepts the clutch shaft.

I get supposedly "German" parts that don't fit, also. My new sunroof seal was too fat and the roof wouldn't close. I had to remove some of the inner rubber of the seal to get it to work. A German inner scraper was too long, and I had to trim 3/4 inch from the lower portion.

These companies who make these parts just don't seem to care. Apparently, they feel that this is all you get. Take it or leave it.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your poll question makes no sense.
"What aftermarket parts are better in quality"
Each part will have good and bad suppliers, or manufacturers.
So are you asking if aftermarket sheet metal is better than aftermarket suspension?
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree- your poll is not conclusive for any purpose. If your version of "better" aftermarket means compared to itself, maybe there has been some improvement in interior and seals. If it means better than factory- not by a mile.

Every poll has a declared comparison. Yours has none- and No "none" box to mark.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A totally useless post....

... so enter the trolls.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: I'd have to say... Reply with quote

Certain exterior parts come to mind (as long as price isn't much of an object.)

Stainless Bumpers
Aluminum Running Boards
Fiberglass body parts

Then again, probably, for the right amount of $$, you could pick up a decent aftermarket part for any of these categories.

Or, if you really had the right amount of $$$, you could print out your own parts or have them fabricated by someone, like Jay Leno has done on some of his autos.

Kyle
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: