Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Most popular engine conversions in Europe
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Most popular engine conversions in Europe Reply with quote

As I strugle with the idea and preps for our moving to Europe in the next 4 months, I keep going back and forth on whether I should sell my Westy here or take it with me to Spain. Every morning I wake up switching my mind about it.

If I were to take the Westy with me I would like to eventually do an engine conversion, does anybody have any info on the most popular options in Europe? I would prefer one that fits under the engine lid.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you take the van be sure to investigate the Renault UN1 5-speed transaxle.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd think TDI conversions would be the most popular due to higher fuel costs and the substantial improvements in MPG offered in TDI conversions. Until recently gasoline was about $8 a gallon. Down to more like $6 now with the recent dollar/Euro exchange rate shift. I don't know about Spain but in some other areas the WBX with CAT can go into certain places where other Vanagon engines are no longer allowed due to pollution law changes.

Mark
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you don't drive a manual, you'll definitely be better off taking your west with you, from my experience automatics are a rarity
i'd say you are best looking for a turbo diesel, but that does potentially limit you, some cities would not let you drive into the city, london, paris, i'm not sure how many others.

i know that london makes a charge of 200 pounds per day if you were to take a diesel van into the city, any van pre 2001 is subject to this, my pops has a 2000 mercedes sprinter based RV, it's 6 months too old to be allowed in, my brother lives in london, so now pops can't go into london to visit my brother.

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I was 30 years old when I first drove an automatic and I've been driving since I was 14 so no problems there. Yes, automatics are not very common in Spain and are usually offered as part of the deluxe option or trim of a given model so you pay more for them.

Mark, I think your opinion makes a lot of sense, Vanagons are not known for their aerodynamics and fuel economy, gas prices are very steep in Europe compared to NA. The number one choice in Spain is the TDI version although manufactures always offer a range of gasoline engine displacements within a model starting with a small engine/very economical option. However, not long ago I read an article suggesting the French government is now after diesel vehicles with potential heavy taxes due to pollution, some suggest this has been orchestrated in conjunction with auto makers. Hard to stay ahead of the curve.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems every vehicle I saw in Europe last summer was a turbo diesel for very good reason, cost/km. As for the tax on driving your vehicle into major metropolitan areas, I wouldn't want to take my van (or any car for that matter) there anyway. The ease of public transportation into these areas negates the urge to drive in at all. Besides, there so much countryside and small towns to explore in a Westy away from these areas, why hassle with the congestion in the first place? We camped in our rented T5 Westy in the suburb of Maison Lafitte and trained 10 minutes into Paris everyday- it was awesome.

Would you have the conversion done in the States or once you get there? I assume there are more TDI mechanics in Spain compared to California.
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

small engine diesels are definitely popular in europe, but i don't think they are the be-all-end-all. there may be more than north america (how many <4L diesels are available here?), but most people in europe still drive petrol, er, gasoline, engines over there.

most of my friends had transporters, aka the eurovan, and had custom camper setups. i think if you bring a vanagon over, it'll be harder to find parts for because less people kept them going rather than moving along with the transporter, *cough* eurovan, concept.

it is an easy choice. if you love your van, import it and pay $$$ to do so. otherwise, move, and do what the locals do.
Van called Finally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I moved from Seattle to London, I shipped my '90 multivan on a roll on, roll off ship. I'd installed a Subaru a couple years before and figured it would be easier to keep mine than to buy one here and put in a new engine. Having been here for 2 years, I think I've done right.

The aftermarket shops in Europe aren't quite as nice as in the U.S., but you can get all you need for your van in Europe. The Subaru conversion is very popular in the UK. The cost of fuel is quite high, but the driving distances are insignificant when compared to the Western U.S. Map out some destinations from where you'll live in Spain and you'll see how many places you can visit without driving too far. This past summer we took a road trip and drove about what we'd do back in the U.S. (Seattle, Montana, Idaho, Oregon, back to Seattle in 2 weeks). In that trip we drove from London through Germany to the Czech Republic, down to Munich, over the Alps through Austria to northern Italy, around to Provance in France, and back up through France to London. The mileage and timing for the 2 trips was very similar.

The other big advantage of bringing over a West coast van is rust. The roads in Europe are heavily salted in winter which means that most of the older vans are rust buckets. To get a clean one, you have to buy from Sweden.

As for driving into big cities with your van, this will be up to you, but my experience has been fine. The drivers in Europe are better behaved, but can be a bit more aggressive (think getting passed on the autobahn by station wagons while doing 90 MPH like we were standing still). We've stealth camped in London, driven through Paris, camped in Munich during the beer festival and a whole bunch of great camping in between.

In all, I think we've made the right choice bringing our van over here. Your experience may be different, of course.
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My OP advice is to sell or mothball your current rig (unless you don't plan to return) and go with options when you get there. Depending on where you wind up, the local rigs are often tuned to that area's climate and terrain.

I lived in Switzerland for a good while off and on going all the way back to the late 60's. Those old air-coolers were tuned way differently that over here, much peppier for Alps driving. Also, you should have some interesting options we don't have regarding new/old campers.

Hauling your current rig over there is just one more hassle to deal with. Start trolling the Euro ads like Lars' Tristar Connection and several others.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How popular is the Zetec in Europe?
Caro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Most popular engine conversions in Europe Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:

I keep going back and forth on whether I should sell my Westy here or take it with me to Spain.

What part of Spain are you moving to, and is it a permanent move?
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spain is not the first place to be when thinking into T3 service.

Many ppl put a 2E from Golf3 GTI into the van.
Or a AFN TDI with partical filter.
Both because of the green city sticker.
The MV get the green sticker also.
If your van is over 30 years old you get oltimer plates which allow you to drive into green city zones no matter what engine.
This in Germany. No idea on other countries.

I personaly ignore the green zones and drive in with my AAZ.
Never payed a ticket.

mTDI and AAZ is also used often.
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the eastern EU countries the diesel conversions are popular due to lower incomes and high fuel costs. Altough here in Hungary it is not that easy as you have to have a permit from the local DOT to swap an engine.

I read lot on other european countries forums, and it seems that the main trend is the TDi (110HP, 90HP), followed by the AAZ and other 1.9 diesel engines (eg.: from Skoda) and some V6 Tdi-s

As Waldi said beside the main course in Germany the 2E GTI is mentionable, and few Subarus.

In the UK the petrol vans are more common, so the main trend is the Subaru beside the AGG (Golf 4 GTI), but the 110HP TDI Passat engine is also often mentioned.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: