Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What does a 50 year old transaxle need?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: What does a 50 year old transaxle need? Reply with quote

Now that the weather isn't so nasty, my 65 project is finally moving along again.The pans are in and the chassis painted and now I need to think about reinstalling the transaxle. But before I do I am wondering if I shouldn't do more than just change the fluid. The car was a daily driver before I started the restoration. It ran great and had no problems shifting, so I don't think anything is wrong. That said, I'd feel like a fool if I put it back together only to have to take it out again because I neglected to take care of something a 50 year old transaxle would naturally need.

I do think putting in a new clutch would be smart, but because my car was converted to 12 volt I don't know what to buy.

thanks in advance
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the engine is out so it should be easy to see what flywheel and clutch setup you have. Post a photo.

These transaxles are pretty robust and if they were never ran low on oil they will last a good long time. There's really no "user-maintenance" things to do except change the oil and the rubber axle boots (make sure that if you have split replacement boots on there, that they are installed with the seam off to the side and not straight up)

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lavo56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the tranny is out, check your motor mounts and the rubber boot the clutch and accelerator tubes go thru as they exit the chassis.

Steve
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the accelerator cable sheath in place?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=400171&highlight=accelerator+boden+tube

Good time to wander thru the parts manual and pick out all the pieces you are missing.

http://oacdp.org/type1part.html

Torsion bar rubber bushings 311 511 245 are probably pretty worn out if original.

How is the nose cone shifter bushing? A lot easier to replace now.
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the above and...

...check to see if the shift detent plugs are still in the trans and in good shape. They were made of plastic and totally fall out causing an oil leak when they get old like these have...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If they are still there, test their integrity by probing gently with a sharp pick to see if they crumble or flake apart. If so, you would want to replace them now when the trans is out...
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Transaxle-Detent-Plug-Kit-3-Pack-p/5017.htm

There is also a fourth smaller one in the lower part of the gear carrier housing, have a look at it too for same reasons....

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
dbuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: What does a 50 year old transaxle need? Reply with quote

I'll look over those plugs and bushings this weekend. I did think about a new nose cone, but not about just that bushing or the ones for the torsion bars. The accelerator cable sheath seems ok.

Here is a pic of the clutch. Whoever modified it to 12 volt used a clutch made in Brazil. I want a new one from Germany if possible, though I don't know what to order.

Bret2094
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What does a 50 year old transaxle need? Reply with quote

dbuche wrote:
I'll look over those plugs and bushings this weekend. I did think about a new nose cone, but not about just that bushing or the ones for the torsion bars. The accelerator cable sheath seems ok.

Here is a pic of the clutch. Whoever modified it to 12 volt used a clutch made in Brazil. I want a new one from Germany if possible, though I don't know what to order.

I don't see what's wrong with that one myself

Bret
1962 Karmann Ghia
1967 beetle( august 66, first car)
1967 beetle (parts car)

1977 Westfalia Camper

1972 Plymouth Duster

Just another 22 year old jackass who caught the bug, and lives by the motto " NO fatchicks allowed" , I've got too many cars as is (buses N/A)
Miklo
¡Chale!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That brazilian Sachs is pretty decent clutch.

What havent seen mentioned is the input shaft seal... Another must on 50 year old transmission.

Antelope Valley's Mobile Air-Cooled Guru

Dr OnHolliday wrote:
As I remember it, lowriding was not one of the criteria that Adolf gave to Dr. Porsche...
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst you have the gearbox out, why not also change the input shaft seal? I always do, and helps prevent a contaminated clutch in future. Plus change the starter motor bush, which is a piece of cake to do at this stage, and costs little or nothing to do.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove the starter and clean all the mating surfaces where it contacts the starter housing. Clean all the starter electrical connections and the wire contacts.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
Remove the starter and clean all the mating surfaces where it contacts the starter housing. Clean all the starter electrical connections and the wire contacts.

Also grease up those surfaces to keep oxygen and thusly corrosion for as long as possible. Dielectric grease or bulb grease are best.
60's Burnout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd gear synchro? That's the first one to fail, since it gets the most use. But if you don't remember grinding the gears while it was running, you might pass on it. Only hard part to replacing it is the Belleville washer you have to compress to get the snap ring on or off the shaft.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

before you re-install tranny, use a wire to clear open the breather hole near the top. it is often clogged with grime. a clogged breather can cause leaks at seams/seals. if you want, clean up the case and paint it, the magnesium case is pretty reactive to chemicals an salt, a coat of paint will help reduce corrosion. a nice thin coat of matt black would look good and be protective.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
dbuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:28 am    Post subject: What does a 50 year old transaxle need Reply with quote

Thanks for al the tips.

I am ordering all the seal and gasket kits and all plugs and bushings, but I haven't found the smaller detent plug yet.

laststarfighter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: What does a 50 year old transaxle need? Reply with quote

Being an old thread, I'm afraid no one is looking at it. But if so can anyone help me find the location of the breather hole near the top mentioned? Thank you I have a 71 Super Beetle.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: What does a 50 year old transaxle need? Reply with quote

Starting on the right side of the image above.
First section is the nose cone.
Second is the gear carrier, I think!
The breather hole is on top of the gear carrier section. That is if my memory serves me correctly.
See the correct answer below. Embarassed

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!

Last edited by 67rustavenger on Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: What does a 50 year old transaxle need? Reply with quote

laststarfighter wrote:
Being an old thread, I'm afraid no one is looking at it. But if so can anyone help me find the location of the breather hole near the top mentioned? Thank you I have a 71 Super Beetle.

It's the smaller hole in the top center of the nosecone...

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What does a 50 year old transaxle need? Reply with quote

dbuche wrote:
What does a 50 year old transaxle need?

A birthday party !!!!

I gave my 1970 a 50th birthday party last year !!!!

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
laststarfighter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What does a 50 year old transaxle need? Reply with quote

Thank you SNRF61 for the picture of the breather hole location.

While cleaning the transmission out of the car today, I found another mystery hole on the driver's side transmission side cover at the top. There was not one on the other side. The hole was almost completely clogged. and I started to clear it with a pick but wondered if I might be damaging some type of screen inside. Any ideas on what this hole is and if I should try to clear it somehow?
shows the cover plate and a close up of the hole is

Thank you[/img]
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: What does a 50 year old transaxle need? Reply with quote

@laststarfighter

That hole is an unused part of the casting and not drilled through. If it were there would be a big trail of oil leaking from it.

You're safe to move ahead with your cleaning job Wink

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: