Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Powdercoat or rollon truck bed liner on custom hitch/bumper?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ar_sims
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used all of the products above and I use to powder coat out of my shop as side income when all the local places had shut down.

If you bedliner use the U-POL kit. It isn't much (120 with the gun) and has a really nice texture when sprayed and is UV stable. I also believe it is a stronger coating than the others. Bad part is since you add hardener to it you can't just open the can and touch it up.

I prefer powder coating because you get a nice tough coating that looks really nice, is very uniform, and comes in a variety of textures and colors. Unless you have the powder and the right materials you can't really touch it up either. Removing powder coating is really tough, I have yet to see a properly prepped part fail after being bumped. Also depending on your area it can be pretty cheap, last load I took in to have done cost $60 stripped and coated.

All in all both have their ups and downs, if you keep your bumpers from hitting stuff too often powder coating will last a long time and can always be dipped and recoated.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez.. I must be the unluckiest guy in the world..
Because it seems every piece I buy that is powder coated.. the coating fails within one year..
..and not just little chips that can be touched up.. But it cracks or chips a little then corrodes under and sheets of it come off in the following months.

I trend towards cheap rattle can.. You can see when it begins to fail.. and then just ht it again..
Easy to maintain.
Easier to repair.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update -

Deciding to go appliance 'epoxy' rattle can (not really epoxy since it doesn't have a catalyst)

http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/specialty/appliance-epoxy-spray

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(wondering what is possible wtih this litttle can? - http://www.mtfca.com/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=179374&post=335361#POST335361 Detailed paint test further up in that thread

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
)

My thought is I used that successfully in other applications and holds up well.

In my custom bumper/swing away designing I'll be making changes periodically and this will allow me the flexibility to do so without affecting higher dollar powder coat or 'gooping' it up with bed liner - if I have to grind some of this rattle can off its easy..

When I feel my design is 'finalized' I'll take to powder coater. Since they do a total prep, I'm not that worried if I get some rust / paint imperfections in teh mean time since they'll clean that up.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good stuff in a can:

http://www.apstowerpaint.com/product/2k-epoxy-primer-bare-metal-step/6
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:
Geez.. I must be the unluckiest guy in the world.

It is called Karma Exclamation
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many dislike Eastwood products but these have held up very well in my testing.
The can is really cool how they keep it separate until you mix it:

http://www.eastwood.com/paints/2k-aero-spray-paints.html

Once mixed, run out the can, it doesn't hold past a few hours.

Yes, extremely expensive by the can, but if you lack the HVLP equipment, you cant beat it.

Exclamation Wear full on safety equipment when spraying 2k products, even from a can. Cover every inch of your body, protect your eyes and use a respirator that can handle chemicals Exclamation
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: