Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Whiteline endlink bushing installation (Video)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Whiteline endlink bushing installation (Video) Reply with quote

There have been a few threads about this, but the procedure is kind of hard to describe in words so I decided that would put together a little video showing how I install the endlinks and bushings onto the sway bar. The video shows the Whiteline endlink bushings, but the procedure will work with any bushing.

I have included the video embedded here, but it's easier to see if you click on the link to view it in a larger format.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oXY68F8Uwo

Link

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]

Last edited by Christopher Schimke on Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job Chris, thank you for this.

alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
FNGRUVN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey just in time. I've got my front end apart and I was going to leave my old bushings in place because it looked like a PITA and my old bushings weren't that bad. I think I'll change them out after seeing your video. Thanks.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to the feel of the Whiteline products.

Nice vid.
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

Very nice video!

I betcha this will mean more sales for your products, as more noob mechanics see exactly how its done and thus gain confidence to try it themselves.

In general a clear video showing proper technique is WAY better then written instructions, IMHO.

Thanks!
CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Pretty cool.
I did it by herniating myself while having a conniption fit.
But if the easy way works for you then who am I to argue?
Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Glad you guys like the video. I'm definitely not as cool on camera as Jed, but I try.

It's funny that this video below comes up along with mine. I know how that guy feels...and that's exactly why I made the video.

Link

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
vweggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice video, thanks!

What are the differences between the Powerflex bushings and the Whiteline bushings?
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vweggie wrote:
Nice video, thanks!

What are the differences between the Powerflex bushings and the Whiteline bushings?

For most locations, Whiteline bushings are nearly identical to the Powerflex bushing in terms of performance. The biggest difference is that Whiteline uses a plated steel inner sleeve while Powerflex uses stainless and the Whiteline bushings are all black while Powerflex is a combination of purple and yellow. However, the Whiteline bushings are quite a bit cheaper.

Here is a breakdown comparison of the two bushings based on location and not including the material difference for the inner sleeves (mentioned above):

Upper control arm - Only available from Powerflex at this time.

Lower control arm - Same durometer (hardness), same installation difficulty level (easy), Whiteline has a textured inner bore to hold grease, Powerflex is smooth (yet this has not proven to cause any problems in this location).

Radius rod - Only available from Powerflex at this time.

Chassis to sway bar - Nearly identical durometer. Whiteline has a textured bore, Powerflex has a smooth bore.

Upper endlink to sway bar - Whiteline is a higher durometer urethane compared to Powerflex. This makes installation a bit more difficult, but also gives better performance and helps prevent the upper endlink from popping off the bar under extreme conditions. Whiteline has a textured bore, Powerflex has a smooth bore.

Lower endlink - Nearly identical

Steering rack - Nearly identical

Rear trailing arm - Whiteline is only available as a one-piece press-in bushing at this time. Powerflex is available in both one-piece press-in or two-piece. Durometer is nearly the same between the two. Both brands have textured inner bores.

Gearbox - 2wd only at this time for both. Whiteline bushing are solid (no reliefs in the design) while Powerflex has reliefs that help mitigate vibration transfer. Whiteline gearbox bushings are of a harder durometer urethane while the Powerflex gearbox bushings are softer.

insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steering rack bushes?
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, they are up there on the list in between the lower endlink and rear trailing arm bushings.

insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked oopppssseee
whafalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for this video, I'd probably still be in the garage swearing otherwise. The blunted screwdriver rocks. Using your technique it was like learning to waterski, it took several attempts but I could see the possibility, and then it goes! And then the second side goes! It's tough to believe that I may have a quiet smoother riding van. You give great service Christopher!
Oh, the key for me was having as much of the bushing out while not having it weasel out as you hold it steady and pick up your hammer, and a 2lb single jack worked great and the lips of the bushing cover any impact mark that may be there. And I thought I was going to have the excuse to go buy a dead-blow, those are cool, dang.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really happy to hear that you found the video and the procedure helpful. It's definitely one of those things that takes a bit of trying to get right, but once you have the "feel" for it, it becomes much easier. As you most likely discovered, there is a really fine line between the whole thing being a fumbled mess and fitting together very smoothly. Finding that "line" is the key.

Pascal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did my Powerflex bushings using an improvised "Christopher technique".

I used the vise to get the bushing in the endlink but used a bicycle tire change tool to push the lip in. I then grease the bushing and endlink and anti sway bar and propped one end of the bar on a block of wood on the ground and the end that needed pounding was propped on another piece of wood on my retaining wall. I then used my rubber mallet and pounded the parts together just like in the video. Easy peasy.

Thanks for the great video procedure Christopher!
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I tired a different method, perhaps not the most pratical, but it was fun. I welded on a 3/8" stainless bolt to the end of the drop link and made a bullet shaped tool that threads onto the bolt that allowed the bushing to slide onto the sway bar with little effort. I'm not suggesting this is in any way a better way than Chris's method.

Perhaps one benefit is that the end cap I made to cover the bolt might prevent a softer polyU bushing from slipping back off the sway bar. I've heard that can happen.

I can't resize my pics right now but it's written up here on my blog

https://shufti.wordpress.com/2015/04/25/vanagon-ki...rop-links/

Alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I opted for the easiest install going....I purchased T3's 25mm bar upgrade kit and did away with wrestlin' with that idiotic bulbus end on the stock bar altogether Wink

Get on the list and enjoy the ride Exclamation
msewalson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went the long bar clamp route when installing new end link bushings. I tried following the video but found it to be a bit difficult. I got the bushings started into the end link like Chris does in the video but instead of clamping it into a vise and beating on it with a rubber mallet I opted to use one of my long wood working clamps to press it on to the end of the sway bar. Worked like a charm but have to agree next time I'll be going with the upgraded anti-sway bar as well.

Matt
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: