Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 brake line kit install
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mile High Puma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: 67 brake line kit install Reply with quote

I decided to get the 1967 brake line kit from W.W. for my 65 DC running a 67 master cylinder. Kit looks to be top quality but I have a couple of questions. First is concerning the line going from the rear tee to the left rear hose. Seems that the shortest line in the kit is still 2 1/2" longer than the original line, Was there a difference in the way the line was done in 67?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The next question is where does the front tee mount on a 67? I have searched for a good pic showing the tee but can't find one. There looks to be a boxed in section right at the top of the panel where a sheet metal screw would go in or were they mounted lower in the panel with a bolt and nut on the back side? Did the line run through the large hole above the master cylinder?

bpmail1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm doing this same job in these days. my is 1964 single cirquit so i cannot replay about front T...

i have some question about where to pass front lines and i would like to see some pictures...

about the shorter pipe yes in the kit is longer than the original, i shaped in a large S and solved...
i supposed the job was more difficoult to do but having just some care bending the tubes in large enough radius there are no problem.
bye p
T1 split panel 1964 turquoise - resto in progress
https://photos.app.goo.gl/8E6ZTL8Nmti421bI3
Click to view image
my resto project thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=566418&highlight=
bpmail1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just found this... i think is what are looking for
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/621574.jpg
T1 split panel 1964 turquoise - resto in progress
https://photos.app.goo.gl/8E6ZTL8Nmti421bI3
Click to view image
my resto project thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=566418&highlight=
Mile High Puma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I have found that pic but at that angle it is hard to tell where the tee is, also I don't believe that is a 67 M.C.. I will post some pics of the tubing routing shortly.
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grabbed a few quick pics that may help. The hard line at the rear just needs a slight S bend to allow for the extra length.

For the front tee, you should be able to work out its location from these two pics:

I'm not sure what the small hole next to the tee mounting point is for, but it seems to be present on all buses. The existing hole (present on your bus) is about 3/4 in. to the passenger side of the hole/captive nut that the tee bolt goes into. This puts the tee above, and slightly to the passenger side of the large hole for the brake line. (The tee should probably be mounted straight, but Hans installed them standing on his feet, I imagine, not on his back like I was.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yellow diamond marks the spot...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mile High Puma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Z, those pics are what I was looking for. bpmail1, here are some other pics of the tubing I have put in place. I won't finalize anything till I get my clips and other hardware painted then I can fasten it all down and center the tubes in the holes before inserting the grommets. Also I found that routing the long piece is easier if you insert it from the rear under the torsion tube, then move it forward through the holes until it clears the torsion tube and withdraw it back over the top of the tube.

chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont forget the rubber grommets where the lines pass thru the frame
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mile High Puma wrote:

I know you'll finalise the connections later, but I'd trial-fit all the connections now and bend the pipes to conform to where the holes for the pipe clips are. Otherwise you may find you've left yourself short at one end or the other.

FWW, I found that rear short line from the tee to the flexi was a b!tch to fit. It was at least as difficult as the connecting lines inside the front drums.

The length is so short that getting the two bends in place so they entered the fittings at the correct angle to was virtually impossible. The screw threads won't bite unless they're lined up perfectly (or you'll risk stripping the thread).

I think I resorted to approximating the bends, then connecting all three hard lines properly to the tee piece and bolting the tee down tight (even the small differences between loose and final fit on the tee piece screwed up the short line fit). I then connected the other end of the short line to the flexi and 'massaged' it in to place.

Even after doing that, the angle still wasn't quite right, so I couldn't get the securing clip for the flexi pipe in to the retaining bracket on top of the torsion tube. I had to grease the clip and tap it in as far as it would go.

I was working with Cunifer, which can cope with being bent and re-bent. If the WW lines are steel, be careful (I'd buy a spare short line in case you scrap the first).

For the front tee, I bolted through that 'spare' hole and used a couple of sizes of washer, stacked one on top of the other, to 'step down' the hole size and stop the bolt head pulling through. I'm trying to avoid adding any additional holes to my truck.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: