Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Give Me One Good Reason to Stay
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GypsyDriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Wayne wrote:
sasquatch88 wrote:
GypsyDriver wrote:
Nobody ever walks up and tells me how they used to own a Ford F150 or a Keystone Hideout trailer.

Just the other day I was wheeling through starbuck's parking lot and a cute college chick sitting with her friends sees me coming, punches the sky and yells "woo HOO! love your van!!"*

Sasquatch smiled, flashed her the peace sign and says to himself, "this is why I roll v-dub."

so you bought a "van" to impress pubescent girls?

Well..."cute college chick" is not "pubuscent" ... suffice it to say the van strikes a cord in people's hearts ... a longing for a freer, simpler time.

I've had the same thing happen to me checking in at a state park in the Texas hill country ... a young, attractive woman checking us in just gushed over how much she loved my van ... almost to the point of discomfort ... OMAGAWD!
sasquatch88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow

Last edited by sasquatch88 on Sat May 16, 2015 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
GypsyDriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tschroeder0 wrote:
I made them wait until I felt very good about everything being up to par, so they could truly enjoy the van and my van karma would remain intact.

This is a real thing and something I very much believe in. I would not sell my van without repairing the transmission and disclosing the other known deficiencies. I would want it to bring smiles the very first day of its new ownership.

I've sold a beloved Jeep, vintage Chevy Suburban, and a Triumph Classic motorcycle only after substantial repairs prior to sale and basically interviewing the buyers. When I sold the Jeep, I almost turned around after driving 5 hours to deliver it because the boyfriend of the girl buying it started to piss me off.

I'm not selling my van any time soon. But, if I ever do, it'll go to a good home delivered in as good condition as I can afford and fully disclosed. And may the CampMobile Gods recognize my efforts and part me forward!
Bruce Wayne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sasquatch88 wrote:
Bruce Wayne wrote:

Oh Bruce, I'm detecting a distinct lack of appreciation for college chicks in both the tone and the substance of that comment!

“And the rest is rust and stardust.”

what's more annoying than a "college chick"? two
Bruce Wayne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TequilaSunSet wrote:
Bruce Wayne wrote:
sasquatch88 wrote:
GypsyDriver wrote:
Nobody ever walks up and tells me how they used to own a Ford F150 or a Keystone Hideout trailer.

Just the other day I was wheeling through starbuck's parking lot and a cute college chick sitting with her friends sees me coming, punches the sky and yells "woo HOO! love your van!!"*

Sasquatch smiled, flashed her the peace sign and says to himself, "this is why I roll v-dub."

That comment was way out of line... in no way does a college chick compare to where your mind is at.

when your my age,college age is pubescent.
AKWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
a partial analysis of the lyrics:

You're happy when I'm on my knees (reaching into that tiny door)
One day it's fine and next it's black (the exhaust seems sooty)
So if you want me off your back (dropping the fuel tank again)
Well, come on and let me know
Should I clean my grounds so it will go?
Should I stay or should I go now?
Should I stay or should I go now?
If I go, there will be trouble (engine fire)
And if I stay it will be double (illegal camping fines)
So come on and let me know

Ok, this is now on my Westy playlist. Thanks Merian, this song now has new meaning.
215/70-16's

www.CatchTheKraken.com

"Never go to Alaska as a young man because you'll never be satisfied with any other place as long as you live." -John Muir
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned several buses when I was younger, and then 4 vanagons. Due to young children, work and family expectations and finances I could not devote the time and money like I wanted to them. I did enough to keep them running reliably but sold them before something major developed. I got a lot of reliable miles from them. Bandit will probably be my final Vanagon, what Bandit wants, Bandit gets. I try to devote at least a couple hours a day to Bandit. No compromises. These vehicles are 24-35 year old. You haven't done a full coolant replacement yet? At this age, it's not a matter of just fixing what goes wrong, it requires restoration of the entire system if you want reliability. When you touch something expect Murphy's law. If something goes wrong with a repair redo it and learn from the experience, then come share it here for the rest of us to learn as well. Bandit's restoration does not aggravate me, it's my hobby.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GypsyDriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greebly wrote:
I have owned several buses when I was younger, and then 4 vanagons. Due to young children, work and family expectations and finances I could not devote the time and money like I wanted to them. I did enough to keep them running reliably but sold them before something major developed. I got a lot of reliable miles from them. Bandit will probably be my final Vanagon, what Bandit wants, Bandit gets. I try to devote at least a couple hours a day to Bandit. No compromises. These vehicles are 24-35 year old. You haven't done a full coolant replacement yet? At this age, it's not a matter of just fixing what goes wrong, it requires restoration of the entire system if you want reliability. When you touch something expect Murphy's law. If something goes wrong with a repair redo it and learn from the experience, then come share it here for the rest of us to learn as well. Bandit's restoration does not aggravate me, it's my hobby.

I've been following your Bandit build. Nice van! I've completely overhauled the fuel delivery and camper systems. A good bit of pre-emptive replacement in the cooling system and drivetrain. I'm pulling the transaxle for the third time in July .... looks like I'm going to swap it for a German Transaxle rebuild. I'm an active duty Army officer ... not home often enough to dedicate the hours it needs right now. One day that'll change.
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll get there. I understand the frustration. Having to redo prior work is aggravating. If I am capable of doing something myself I will. Too many times when I have had a contractor, or mechanic work on something I have been unhappy with the quality of their work. Hope you get it sorted out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greebly wrote:
You'll get there. I understand the frustration. Having to redo prior work is aggravating. If I am capable of doing something myself I will. Too many times when I have had a contractor, or mechanic work on something I have been unhappy with the quality of their work. Hope you get it sorted out.

I am on year 13 of my van.. and at about 200k miles..
My current repairs are now repairing several of my own old repairs.. "Round 2"
..many of which I have learned from and am now I finding I am often unhappy with my own original attempt.

Its a bittersweet pill. Round 2, is.
I'll check back in at 300k and "Round 3"

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My philosophy is that I can pay the local mechanic to do it or I can pay myself. Works most of the time....

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
often, an old vehicle is sold just after the owner has fixed different things and done so many, many times - they get frustrated and finally sell it

the new owner then gets a vehicle with nothing wrong and all new parts, or with just one final thing to do

you are right...I just sold a very nice Carat and I am about to sell a 2WD Westfalia that I spent one year sorting out...

-engine/waterpump/exhaust/smog
-clutch
-paint
-pop-top canvas/seals
-steering rack/tie-rod/alignment
-windshield
-major cleanup
-suspension
-etc, etc.

the new owner will be happy. I just finally got a Syncro project and there is no way I have the time to maintain more than one of these at the time...

Wink
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:

I am on year 13 of my van.. and at about 200k miles..

what do you suggest for 200k maintenance items?

not the 100k stuff, I'm (finally) up to date on most of those...
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GypsyDriver wrote:
I'm an active duty Army officer ... not home often enough to dedicate the hours it needs right now. One day that'll change.

Thanks for your service. Retirement used to be sweet with the military, not so much anymore.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Thank you for all that you do for all of us not in the military. My hat is off to you Sir.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWinVT wrote:
This is only our third summer with our van and I cannot t imagine not having it. Our daughter, 2 1/2, demands (as only a 2 year old can do) that we pay in the bus every night. It's great!! I drove in the driveway today after work and gave her a honk of the horn. The smiled big and said, "that's daddy I. The bus that goes 'brrrrrrrr'". priceless and would not sell it for the world. 😊

THIS! 110%
GypsyDriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Yes, Thank you for all that you do for all of us not in the military. My hat is off to you Sir.

Thank you. I enjoy my service. Home with the van this weekend, then on the road again Monday. I've got several little projects to tinker on.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GypsyDriver wrote:
dobryan wrote:

Thank you. I enjoy my service. Home with the van this weekend, then on the road again Monday. I've got several little projects to tinker on.

So you've gotten over your discouragement and despair about Van repairs?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
GypsyDriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
GypsyDriver wrote:
dobryan wrote:

So you've gotten over your discouragement and despair about Van repairs?

Dave

Yeah, I was just publicly complaining trying to push myself over the hump to spend the time and money it'll take when I get back in July to get her back on the road. Like I said, if I can have her back on the road and driving down Hwy 30A on the Emerald Coast by labor day ... it'll make it all worthwhile again.

I contacted German Transaxle about a rebuild for my automatic. I have all the seals and gaskets for another complete reseal, but its slipping badly and I'm wondering if a good rebuild wouldn't be more in order.

FYI, Samantha at GoWesty says they're starting an in-house rebuild program soon and will offer the taller gears ... but no timeline. I thought German Transaxle previously did their rebuilds, but I guess they're trying to bring it in-house.

I'm also just about there mentally to pull the trigger on a new engine. Its been a good van and I had a few years with only minor issues. It was my daily driver for a couple of years. But, I'd like to get it ready for the next decade or so of service.

I really like the Bostig build: only ~$500 tied up in the engine itself and the engine is readily available. But the conversion kit is pricy and the engine's been out of production for 10 years.

but also like the Subi 2.5. with the RMW conversion kit. That engine's still in production, but the older models RMW recommends seem to have some of the same problems as the VW WBX and GT doesn't warranty transaxles hooked up to 2.5s.

Lastly, I'm tempted by the GW rebuilds, but having ~$5 to $6K tied up in just the engine itself is hard for me to get by mentally (as opposed to the Ford and Subi engines which can be had locally for $400 - $2K.

Anyway ... I know there are lots of threads on these decisions. I'm readin' 'em.
sasquatch88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow

Last edited by sasquatch88 on Sat May 16, 2015 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: