Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

how to buy a Vanagon
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilbressl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 11:27 pm    Post subject: how to buy a Vanagon Reply with quote

My daughter just graduated from college and wants to buy a Vanagon so she can camp when she isn't working. She lives in Berkeley, Ca. I'm trying to help her and am interested in thoughts and advice regarding such a plan. thanks for your help.
[/quote][/code][/list]
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your question is too general to get much of a response. Do you mean where to look, what to look for, how to evaluate or maybe what is a fair price?

The GoWesty site has a good overview article in the library section.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There for sure is gobs of Vanagons posted for sale in the want ads here at the samba.com.

Let your fingers do the walking--
Craigslist in your area would be another outlet.
gene l
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop by Buslab in Berkley and talk with them. Cool people!
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

errr... your question is quite vague...

you want to buy a vanagon for your daughter...

best is buy one for you and use it at least for 6 months or a year to work out all the kinks, problems... train her how to drive it, how to take care of it...

then give it to her...

you don't want her getting stranded on the road do you?

Last edited by 0to60in6min on Sun May 10, 2015 1:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
2wdvanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

100% agree with 0to60in6. It also depends on how much money you can spend getting it road worthy and a solid runner.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazybaja1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Buying Vanagon Reply with quote

Hi
Do you know what kind of vanagon do you want? aircooled? watercooled?
Manual? automatic?
Or you need info to decide?
If you do know what kind of, i can help you to figure out what to check by yourself
87 sinca
82 sinca
70 doka
73 bug callook
71 class 11
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First things first......
WELCOME!!!!

Oh so many variables come into play here.

Price is a huge one!

These vehicles are old, yes all of them. 1991 was 24 years ago and that is when the last one rolled off the assembly line.

The condition of these units today vary greatly from pristine to a POS!

Prices often reflect condition, though not always. Greed comes into play with sellers preying upon buyers not Vanagon savvy.

Follow these links, forward them to your daughter as well, and begin reading the overwhelming amount of information on model years, engines, inherent problems, etc etc etc......

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=128668

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=517506

Also GoWesty rebuilds and sells units and has some excellent publications about them online and free.
http://www.gowesty.com/library.php

Also, there is no fear of your daughter coming here herself, we have many female members here and one of our forum moderators is female.

Determine if you are a Vanagon or a Eurovan person and begin looking for your ideal purchase.
Keep in mind that the bargain cheapest unit often ends up being quite expensive due to repair and rebuilding needs.

Don't be in a hurry to buy and do not fear traveling to get a Van, it's all part of the adventure.

Also VW camper ownership has proven itself to be addictive and wallet draining. You simply cannot stop and you must keep supporting the habit.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an owner of a Vanagon or two or three for my wife to drive the last 26 years, think very hard about this. A Vanagon is a hobby, unless you buy a very expensive restored one it will not be like a new car, you cannot just drive it. If your daughter is willing to have AAA on speed dial, and has another reliable vehicle do not buy one for her to use in everyday use. That is unless she is a great mechanic and loves fixing old VW's. Just sayin, my first experience with VW busses was my family's '62 bus, my first car was a '68 bus and I at times struggle with the Vanagon's differences, to put it politely. I am a professional mechanic BTW.

John
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion is that the idea of owning and enjoying a Camper van is something quite different from the reality of owning a Vanagon.

As Dave notes, the newest of these are a quarter of a century old and many examples will not have aged well - suffering from aging mechanicals if not a lack of maintenance.

If someone is well versed in driving old cars (which includes the maintenance and repair of same) the experience can be satisfying - but if someone is dependent on professionals to repair and maintain it the experience can be frustrating.

I don't think it is sexist to say that a young daughter would not be my notion of a good candidate for Vanagon ownership - indeed for most young men of my acquaintance it would also be a questionable choice.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your married a couple of times.

Once to the wife,many more to the vehicle.

While the thought is real generous, somebody's going to be a slave to that van.

Think Honda, Toyota for the young lady unless your on the clock 25/7 to solve problems.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above collection of comments about a Vanagons needs are exactly why I brought up the Eurovan as a possibility.

Much newer, much more "normal" and user friendly.
Yet still a VW camper.

Though if Debbie is selling her Vanagon now that she has an Eurovan.... I'd be all over that one!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
sasquatch88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow

Last edited by sasquatch88 on Sat May 16, 2015 2:56 pm; edited 4 times in total
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anecdotal replies such as the one above are the least helpful. you want advice on how to buy a vanagon not the musings of someone who has had their own limited experience. the best place to buy a vanagpn is from someone who is an expert on vanagons. youve come to the right place. there are several different businesses that make a living dealing in vanagon that you can find through the samba, plus you have the resources of this website, good luck in your search.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:
anecdotal replies such as the one above are the least helpful. you want advice on how to buy a vanagon not the musings of someone who has had their own limited experience. the best place to buy a vanagpn is from someone who is an expert on vanagons. youve come to the right place. there are several different businesses that make a living dealing in vanagon that you can find through the samba, plus you have the resources of this website, good luck in your search.

I disagree. ^^^^

Who better to coach about the nuances of the vehicle than an owner/user?

Your opinion and experiences may vary from his but they in no way discount others experiences or opinions.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He asked for thoughts & advise, not a purchase plan.
I think most all of the advice has been spot on excluding the "never any problems" reliability thumbs up.

Your dealing with antiques here, & unless the OP is willing to purchase a rotisserie restored, from head to toe, Vanagon, no holds or cash outlay barred.
To give a "Ute" a warmed over fluffed & buffed only Westfalia and be expected to be dependable is a joke, unless you are well versed I'm Vanagon maintenance, have a good catalog of metric tools , and real deep pockets.

She wants to go camping?
Think Honda CRV & a teardrop trailer or a tent.

Be an all round better deal as far as required maintenance & dependability.
Less chance of phone calls from Podunk at 2:00 am-Help I'm broke down, green stuff is leaking all over the ground.
Go to the forum here and do catalog the posts for folls having issues.
That should tell you plenty.

Last edited by Terry Kay on Sun May 10, 2015 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
outcaststudios wrote:

I disagree. ^^^^

Who better to coach about the nuances of the vehicle than an owner/user?

Your opinion and experiences may vary from his but they in no way discount others experiences or opinions.

Dave

i hear you, but the op was asking for 'thoughts and advice' on buying a vanagon ,not owning and maintaining one, i guess theyre closely related but who are we to tell someone not to be as dumb as we were!? Wink
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:
...i hear you, but the op was asking for 'thoughts and advice' on buying a vanagon ,not owning and maintaining one...

One of us needs to re-read the original post.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: how to buy a Vanagon Reply with quote

[quote="wilbressl"]My daughter just graduated from college and wants to buy a Vanagon so she can camp when she isn't working. She lives in Berkeley, Ca. I'm trying to help her and am interested in thoughts and advice regarding such a plan. thanks for your help.

"Thoughts & advise"

Maybe you reading this in 3-D or living color.
I see it in black & white--on a flat screen, & not reading between the lines, or perhaps what you think you might have perceived--

Last edited by Terry Kay on Sun May 10, 2015 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess i just assume that most people in sf are rich/well to do etc. since its so expensive to even live there. ergo they have money to blow chasing the dream...i dont see the harm. i say go for it maybe she'll become a vanagon guru-ess. plus its a fashion statement to those that want to cultivate a certain image, like living in berkeley and camping a lot for instance.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: