Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing Body Work
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MNThingGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Thing Body Work Reply with quote

Hi all! I'm usually a lurker here.

I'm thinking of getting body work and full paint on my '73.
I'm taking my Thing to a guy that does aircooled VWs but he's never done a Thing. I know they tend to rust in different places than other VWs. So I'd like to give him a heads up and places to double check on.
I saw a posting here a while back about it but I'm not able to find it today.
Anyone have specifics they'd like to share?

thx
M~
acidophilusrex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocker panels and floorpans.
gfw1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Thing body work Reply with quote

If you looked up rust in the dictionary, there would be a picture of mine. Pulled from woods where sitting for ten years. Check where bumpers mount to body, front shock top mounts which are part of suspention, rest is pretty easy to see looking in engine bay and behind rear seats.
[quote]If you can't restore, resurrect.
chinarider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More rust spots to check out:

- Inside wheel wells - especially where fenders meet body, and even more so if you have layers of undercoating.

- anyplace fenders meet body

- if your floor pans or outer rockers have any rust, chances are your inner rockers need work too

- inside tub on either side of back seats

- all around the windshield frame - especially the lower channels

- bottoms of doors

- underside of frame - especially up under the rear deck

Hope your bodywork goes well. Mine just came back from the shop yesterday & is looking sweet. Will be spending the next few weeks putting it all back together again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acidophilusrex wrote:
Rocker panels and floorpans.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but I frequently here the word "rocker panels" floated around. Can someone tell this newbie what and where rocker panels are. Guessing this is either up in the fender areas or along the outside of the vehicle between the wheel wells???? Can some elaborate.

Thanks a bunch.

I am about to buy a Thing also and will drive a long distance to buy it and would be great to know what I am looking for. It seems most any old VW will have rust, just like my 1960 Single Cab did, but unless there are cancers and holes present, I do not really know the difference.

Thanks again

Thomas
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
suntour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rocker panels are the section of body below the doors. The part with the two really long ribs.

However I have no idea why that part of a car is called that..??..
iltis74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is cracked out where the front bumper bolts to the car. Hard to see from below, but pop the hood and they jump out. Of course mine also came with pad eyes welded to the bumper (to mount shackles.) But I've seen another with the same cracks, and if you've got them too it would be worth welding them up before the paint job.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: