Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TDI AHU roadside water pump, p/s belt swap size ??
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: TDI AHU roadside water pump, p/s belt swap size ?? Reply with quote

So I lost a tdi AHU p/s pump today in no where land usa dont even know a vw is vehicle..

so i tried to just find a small belt to swap out for the p/s , water pump belt that would just run from the lower pulley to the water pump I took the 3 smallest belts i could find at the first parts counter & all were toooo big.
So we drove 15 mins at shot ran it up to 190F waited 15 min till is cooled down to 150F & ran like that for 10-15 miles I got to a advanced auto & got a p/s pump over nite from some ware house ...blah blah ..

But it made me want to carry a get me going water pump only belt for an ahu-tdi. Heck you get a leak in the p/s its a show stopper when you go delete the p/s belt & go manual sterring no water pump (heck the 2.1 looks pretty good at that pt:)

so anyone know a belt that they have used or carry as an emergeny belt to run the water pump only ?
Mike Robinson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope this helps ...

It does not look like there is an option - for power steering but no waterpump, but not the other way round ....

Time to get one of those emergancy make it yourself belt things.

AHU part numbers

Pos Part Number Name Remarks Qty Model
(3) 028 260 849 L v-ribbed belt for vehicles with air condit. 21,18X1145MM 1 1Z,AAZ,AFN, AHU,AEY,ALE

(4) 028 903 137 BB v-ribbed belt for alternator: 21,36X1045MM 120A 1 1Z,AHU,AFN, AEY,ALE AAZ

(5) 028 903 137 AM v-ribbed belt 21,36X923MM 1 AAZ,1Y

(6) 028 145 271 K v-belt for power steering AVX10X730MM 1 1Z,AHU,AAZ, 1Y,AFN,AEY, ALE

(7) 028 145 271 L v-belt for vehicles with air conditioner and power steering 10,5X790MM 1 1Z,AAZ,AFN, AHU,AEY,ALE

diagram

http://www.wagenstad.com/index.php?modid=188&page=9-903-95
r.e.wing_fc3s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

places that sell large lawnmowers often have short drive belts that can be made to work. most likely something you would have to slip on while turning the pulleys.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you have A/C or else this wouldn't be an issue as the water pump would be driven by the serp belt. The issue with keeping the serp belt running the alt and a/c compressor and ditching the p/s pump is that the power steering pump is what provides tension adjustment for the water pump. Without any tension adjustment, you'll have a hell of a time getting a belt on that won't be too loose. Regardless, there are a couple of relatively easy ways to go about it. One way is to use the non-A/C water pump pulley and serp belt. The other is to get a 1.6TD quantum/audi water pump pulley and a single v-belt to run the water pump. The quantum/audi water pump pulley is a split pulley design that allows the addition or removal of shims between the two halves to adjust belt tension. If flipped around, the offset of the pulley is correct for the AHU crank pulley v-belt location. The pulley itself is 068121029a and the adjustment shims are 068121185b. They are still available new, but fairly easy to find used. V-belt for just water pump is then 10x650. I have not used that water pump pulley *with* power steering, but can't see any reason that it wouldn't work. In that case, you could simply carry the water pump belt and it would be an easy swap on the road if the p/s went out. Of course, there is also the option of carrying a spare p/s pump, rack and lines... Razz
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...I have a rabbit pick up with an AHU tdi. I removed the PS pump and just put on a belt from the crank to the coolant pump with no adjustment. I can check what size belt it is when I am back at my shop on Tuesday. It is not hard to put on, just remove the 3 bolts holding the pulley on the coolant pump. If this sounds like a bad way to do it, just look at an early 1.8t in a Passat or Audi, they came from the factory with a v-belt running the coolant pump with no adjustment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it sounds like a bad idea regardless of whether or not it was done stock in some cases, especially considering that a correctly sized and correctly offset split/adjustable pulley is readily available. Without adjustment, when the belt is new it will be too tight and when it's worn in it will be too loose. Both hard on bearings and easy to slip, not to mention harder to install.

I'm not particularly familiar with the gas counterparts. What engine codes and years of 1.8T came with the v-belt you are referring to?
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AEB and ATW engine used from 1997 to 2000. I remember the first time I saw one and looking all over for the adjuster, I then looked in the manual and found there was none. I thought it was a bad idea but I have after watching them through the years I like it. I have watched a few customers car go well over 100k miles with the original belt and never seen one slip or break.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What town are you in? A lot of us live in "nowhere land", heh....

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....The belt size is 10x663 (napa #25-7255).
rotaecho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Libby,

Of the two methods you suggested which would be a better option for stability and less problems down the road.

Thanks!

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
I assume you have A/C or else this wouldn't be an issue as the water pump would be driven by the serp belt. The issue with keeping the serp belt running the alt and a/c compressor and ditching the p/s pump is that the power steering pump is what provides tension adjustment for the water pump. Without any tension adjustment, you'll have a hell of a time getting a belt on that won't be too loose. Regardless, there are a couple of relatively easy ways to go about it. One way is to use the non-A/C water pump pulley and serp belt. The other is to get a 1.6TD quantum/audi water pump pulley and a single v-belt to run the water pump. The quantum/audi water pump pulley is a split pulley design that allows the addition or removal of shims between the two halves to adjust belt tension. If flipped around, the offset of the pulley is correct for the AHU crank pulley v-belt location. The pulley itself is 068121029a and the adjustment shims are 068121185b. They are still available new, but fairly easy to find used. V-belt for just water pump is then 10x650. I have not used that water pump pulley *with* power steering, but can't see any reason that it wouldn't work. In that case, you could simply carry the water pump belt and it would be an easy swap on the road if the p/s went out. Of course, there is also the option of carrying a spare p/s pump, rack and lines... Razz

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What accessories are you running? P/S and A/C?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A piece of clothesline run around the pulley's and marking the overlap point is a quick length gauge for eyeballing a replacement belt length.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
rotaecho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Libby, it's an 82' with no accessories. I *may* consider AC with the TDI conversion way down the road, but that's a big if.

Thanks!

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
What accessories are you running? P/S and A/C?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have A/C or PS, you can use the VR6 water pump pulley and use the serp belt to run the Alt and water pump.

If you add A/C, you can use thw Quantum/Audi water pump pulley (part # above) and use the serp belt to run Alt and A/C and a v-belt to run the water pump.
rotaecho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, would that be P/N 021-121-031D to confirm?

Thanks Sir!

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
If you don't have A/C or PS, you can use the VR6 water pump pulley and use the serp belt to run the Alt and water pump.

If you add A/C, you can use thw Quantum/Audi water pump pulley (part # above) and use the serp belt to run Alt and A/C and a v-belt to run the water pump.

?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A better part number is 028121031E. That is specifically for the AAZ or AHU without A/C. I have personally used that pulley on a couple engines that did not have A/C. I have heard of other people using the VR6 pulley but have not done so personally so am not sure of the difference.

I have also personally used the Quantum split pulley on a couple different installs that had A/C but no power steering.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: