Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Strictly Foreign - [email protected]
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viewing feedback for: mark wolter
Email: [email protected]
Last Visited: March 22, 2024
fizzbang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Mark do a stock rebuild on my bus trans and it came out looking great. I asked if he could do it within a couple of weeks and he did.

I was also able to stop by his shop and it's very organized and clean. He had a few motor rebuilds going on, a couple employees working and everything was clean and tidy.

It will be a couple months before I'll be driving it, but so far it's been a great experience.
mick cassidy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark fixed up my 2110 motor i had a few minor issues with it and hed STOOD BEHIND HIS WORK 100% i was happy and we got my motor fixed up it was mostly my issues carb tuning etc but the freight back and to me was only like 175- dock( pick up ) he was fair and square i had him put some CB PERFORMANCE heads on there and trust me this motor is a powerful SOB spins the kennedy stage 1 clutch when i goose it so id say give mark a chance he may have had a few issues in the past but as of today hes done me right and was truly proactive in fixing my issues
Hambonz75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a 1915 Super Stroke & matching tranny from Mark and was very impressed. Many conversations in detail to what is best for my needs. Kept the communication up when he got behind in the build. Finally got it all installed and it runs like a dream!!!!
abergdorf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Stricly Foreign 1776 Reply with quote

Ordered a 1776 from Strictly Foreign a few months ago. I needed an engine fast because I had a couple weeks off of work coming up. Mark worked with me and my budget to get me exactly what I wanted, and FAST. The engine arrived at my door a week after I had ordered it. Now I have only put 10 miles on it because I am currently re-doing the entire brake system but the engine is beautiful and solid. I got a re manufactured block with everything that the super street engines comes with.

Once under load (going up a hill) the engine bogs down, I will probably just need to adjust the carbs a little bit.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Link

I highly recommend Strictly Foreign for ease of ordering, friendly service, and quality builds.
canosgmk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.

I will not be doing business with SF anytime soon. Maybe, because I am not smart enough on these engines to know what prices and reliable speed is. The thing is, that is what I was asking them. What IS a price tag on that kind of speed?

We all have three budgets. What we know is in the bank, what our wife allow us to spend and what we really want. I informed him what my wife told me I can spend, but I need some detail information to give to her to increase the budget (as I just don't know yet).

This is his reply,
Quote:
OK XXXXXXXX, There is now way this car will ever turn 13-13 second quarter mile times...NEVER!!

So let's get realistic,ok...First we can build you a nicely, rebuilt, 1776 for around $3,000.00 with some bells & whistles to make it produce around 85 HP, but it won't make this VW kit car get into even the 15's...Sorry!!

To get a VW into the low 13's it takes at least $8,500.00 with tranny, engine, exhaust, clutch, etc.,...

'This Car'?!? Really. It is a fiberglass body kit on a 71 super bug frame. If a superbug striped out with a type 4 engine turbo can turn out low 9's, I am sure we can get a fiberglass body that weight HALF of what the superbug weights in the 13's. Then he contradict him self and saying that it can be done for $8.5k....

Sorry. He left a really bad taste in my mouth. Rude and unhelpful.

PS: after receiving that email, i googled his email address and this forum was the first one on the list.

Just sad. If he gave me numbers and details what can turn out a 13 sec car, I could have gotten my budget moved up and made it happen...
canosgmk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow up.

My response to him on the above email,
Quote:
Thank you for your response.

However, I will not being doing business.

I was really hoping for guidance and not a b^itch slap to the face. I know this car Can turn 13’s as I see heavy super beetles on youtube pulling’s 9’s. So, in my mind, 13’s is a doable family car with the ‘fun factor’.

As i looked it up, it seems the stock z28 camaro pulls around 15sec, 1/4mile.

I am going to look more local. Maybe if I walk in a shop with cash in my hands, I might be treated differently.

Thank you for your time.

His response to me:
Quote:
Good luck. I'm sure your
$3, 000 cash will make all the difference!
Send me your time slip once your in the 9's

Again, the $3k is what my wife okay'ed with out knowing anything that might need to happen. I even told him all i need is formation about what kind of build i would need to achieve my goal.

This jerk off just assume that I don't have any money... Nothing pisses me off more then an uneducated snake assuming I can't afford his business. I can't believed people willingly work with this person.

I vote to remove this child from this site. Even though this dillweed never told me it's name in the email.

On the positive note, he can't rip me off installing used and Mexico/china cheap knock-offs in a engine/transmission combo buy.
FASTBACKDON
The other insensitive jerk like Neil

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canosgmk wrote:
Follow up.

My response to him on the above email,
Quote:
Thank you for your response.

However, I will not being doing business.

I was really hoping for guidance and not a b^itch slap to the face. I know this car Can turn 13’s as I see heavy super beetles on youtube pulling’s 9’s. So, in my mind, 13’s is a doable family car with the ‘fun factor’.

As i looked it up, it seems the stock z28 camaro pulls around 15sec, 1/4mile.

I am going to look more local. Maybe if I walk in a shop with cash in my hands, I might be treated differently.

Thank you for your time.

His response to me:
Quote:
Good luck. I'm sure your
$3, 000 cash will make all the difference!
Send me your time slip once your in the 9's

Again, the $3k is what my wife okay'ed with out knowing anything that might need to happen. I even told him all i need is formation about what kind of build i would need to achieve my goal.

This jerk off just assume that I don't have any money... Nothing pisses me off more then an uneducated snake assuming I can't afford his business. I can't believed people willingly work with this person.

I vote to remove this child from this site. Even though this dillweed never told me it's name in the email.

On the positive note, he can't rip me off installing used and Mexico/china cheap knock-offs in a engine/transmission combo buy.

Dude I understand your frustration but 3K for a 1776 that scoots is a good price I have been collecting higher end parts to get a 1914 that is a ball buster I am in for 4 k in parts and balancing that does not include the build or the carbs so Busting their chops over a good price for a street motor is a bit too much. If you want a 9 second car it will cost you 8-9 k. Reality is what it is. I hope you reach your goal.

Buy my best friends stuff
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=56TIMOTEO

(21:10:42) Jennepher: Russell is our proudest achievment. I feel like Samba created him from a little nugget of crap into a full blown adult.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you both avoided a problematic transaction to me.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
canosgmk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think y'all is seeing what the issue is.

I was asking how to get to a 13's VW. In passing I told him my wife pre-approved a $3k budget, however I can get that budget increased with detail information of what I need.

Funny how once people see a number, they forget to read the rest of the paragraph...

This guy responded to me last night, late, after I responded to his last email calling him out as being a jerk (i used a different word). Also informed him I will be posting this on Samba. Once I am home from work, I will post it.

In short, he apologies for being rude and gave me good information on what to do and how much things will cost. I am in conversations with my wife to see how much is she letting me open our pocket books. If it was up to me, I would push $6-$7K for engine and tranny. MUCH cheaper then getting a z28 or a 5.0 at those speeds.

The car with me in it with a full tank of gas is 1,350 pounds.
canosgmk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
It sounds like you both avoided a problematic transaction to me.

only problematic if I can't get straight answers. Wink
2true
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

canosgmk wrote:
I don't think y'all is seeing what the issue is.

I was asking how to get to a 13's VW. In passing I told him my wife pre-approved a $3k budget, however I can get that budget increased with detail information of what I need.

Funny how once people see a number, they forget to read the rest of the paragraph...

This guy responded to me last night, late, after I responded to his last email calling him out as being a jerk (i used a different word). Also informed him I will be posting this on Samba. Once I am home from work, I will post it.

In short, he apologies for being rude and gave me good information on what to do and how much things will cost. I am in conversations with my wife to see how much is she letting me open our pocket books. If it was up to me, I would push $6-$7K for engine and tranny. MUCH cheaper then getting a z28 or a 5.0 at those speeds.

The car with me in it with a full tank of gas is 1,350 pounds.

Maybe check into Subaru Conversion.
canosgmk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after all said and done (and some bad news with in the family today that will take $4k out of our pocket), we are down grading to a 1776 idea. Honestly, if this news gets worst, we are just going to clean up the 1600dp and just sell the car. we will know in two weeks what we will be doing... Sad

As promised, this is his response late last night. Looks like I caught him on a really bad week. I don't think I will do business with him anyways because of the above AND if we can get the engine I want, i might want local support. Something my wife brought up. Right now, I need to work on the family issue and see where everything falls.

Quote:
Hey XXXXXX,

Sorry for the unprofessional responses, Having a bad day and shouldn't take it out on you. It will be a fun family project for you, but I want to shed some light on it. I know you saw you tube videos of fast super-beetles. In order to go that fast, they had to throw lot's of money into them. I've been into VW's and drag racing since 1976, so I have an idea of what it takes to get into the 13's, 12's, and 11's. We built a 1,350 lb. Bug with a 200 HP 2275 12:01 engine with 48 IDA's and a full race transmission, with a bunch of suspension tricks and it ran 11:20's at 118 mph. The engine cost us about $6,800.00 & the tranny with all the good Weddle gears cost us like $2,500.00 with hd chromoly swing axles.

For you to put together your VW to actually run in the 13's, it'll take a lot of work, tricks, and cash money...You can't go fast for cheap, we've tried, and it's impossible without the funds to buy quality performance parts. I didn't mean to be such a dick to you, I've just had too many people lately want to go really fast but don't really have the funds to do it. I do wish you well with your VW 1/4 mile kit car, just don't get taken by a line of BS, just to get your hard earned cash!!

Sincerely Yours,

Mark Wolter
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't recall if I ever left feedback for Mark/Strictly Foreign here previously, but I'll gladly do it now, in light of the train wreck on previous pages: I totally stand by the guy as a couple winters ago I bought over a crapload of core transmission parts and a couple of core transaxles in the back seat and trunk of my Ford Contour (it wasn't easy getting an axle-to-axle gear box in the back seat... still some war wounds on my back door panels lol).

Made a great deal on the parts and totally made the 200 odd mile from Lakeview worth it. Nice guy and great to shoot the sh*t about VWs with, to boot. I completely agree with all the positive things said thus far here.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

even though Strictly Foreign is the closest VW place to me, 80 miles away, I have never dealt with Mark or the guys at SF..but I met him last year at a VW show in Grant's Pass, OR...he seemed to me to be quite pleasant and knowledgeable...I didn't give him any credentials until after we talked for a while (you know, the whole "magazine" thing) and he didn't change one bit, he was still quite friendly, and knew what he was talking about. If I ever have a need for something for my Oval, or any project VW that might grace my driveway, I wouldn't hesitate to give him my business.... FWIW.

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
DaKine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this SS1915 from Strictly Foreign in January 2011.

I first had it in my 1960 panel and it ran like a champ and recently installed it in one of my bugs and it is still doing great.

Other than oil changes, a fuel pump, fuel filter and valve adjustments, I haven't had to do anything to this engine since the day I took it off the shipping pallet.

I will be ordering another motor from SF for my son's car we are building. Cool

Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
even though Strictly Foreign is the closest VW place to me, 80 miles away, I have never dealt with Mark or the guys at SF..but I met him last year at a VW show in Grant's Pass, OR...he seemed to me to be quite pleasant and knowledgeable...I didn't give him any credentials until after we talked for a while (you know, the whole "magazine" thing) and he didn't change one bit, he was still quite friendly, and knew what he was talking about. If I ever have a need for something for my Oval, or any project VW that might grace my driveway, I wouldn't hesitate to give him my business.... FWIW.

<EDIT> since this original post, I have had an opportunity to get to know Mark, both on a professional, business level, and on a personal one, as well. He has built 2 engines for me, a 1776, and a 2110..and I couldn't be happier with the build quality, and professionalism shown. People, you gotta remember, an engine or transaxle builder is only as good as the parts he can acquire, and a LOT of that will be according to your budget. You try to spin a cast crank to 7,000 rpm, you're asking for a scattered engine. You drop the clutch with 8 inch wide slicks at 7,000 rpm, your mainshaft is gonna break. It's just the way it is. $peed co$t$ Money, how fa$t do you want to go?

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
sbdubya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Strictly Foreign - [email protected] Reply with quote

I recently had the pleasure of dealing with Mark on the purchase and install of a SS1776 & Freeway Flyer transaxle. He is extremely knowledgeable and willing to answer any question you may have.
I towed my Bug 400 miles one way from my home to his shop to have the work done. This was because all of the builders near the SF Bay area were in the $10K range just for the engine and I got everything done for right at $8K (added some options to the engine). Well worth the time and money spent as everything turned out great.
If I am ever in the need for another engine and or trans I will definitely go there again.
Thanks for the great work Mark and your crew!
DaKine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Strictly Foreign - [email protected] Reply with quote

Purchased this turn-key SS1915 a couple years ago. Mark arranged problem free truck freight shipping to PA. Unfortunately, it had to sit a few years as life got in the way and a move to FL. Finally got around to installing it and as expected this engine purrs like a kitten. As you can see from the photos, Mark does excellent work and very clean! This is the second engine I own built by Strictly Foreign and highly recommend them for your engine needs.

My son drives a '66 bug with a 1915 Mark built in January of 2011. He probably puts 3000-3500 miles a year on it. The engine is fantastic. I have had no issues with that engine at all!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: