Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1961 Turkis Ragtop Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
laneven28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a stroke of incredibly good luck and timing this past weekend. Since I decided to travel the okrasa route around a year ago, I've kept my eyes open for an okrasa 40hp crank, knowing they're really tough to come by. One went up on the samba several months ago, and it sold almost immediately - I missed it. With the engine now being built, I figured I'd just have to go without and was perfectly good with using a standard size NOS 40hp crank.

Well this past weekend, the famed Morris Brothers Motorsports held an open house in Salt Lake City to let Porsche & VW enthusiasts come visit the new shop that moved from Seattle, so my boys and I went up to check it out and drool over the Porsches. Beautifully restored 356's were everywhere.

I got talking with Jack Morris and mentioned that I was building a 40hp okrasa motor, and he said he thought he had a 40hp okrasa crank somewhere in his parts stash. I asked if he'd be willing to sell it, and he said yes - come back on Monday. I could barely wait for Monday to roll around, but it eventually did, and I went back.

Jack found the crank fairly quickly and we struck a reasonable deal. I took the crank immediately to Blackline which was only a couple of blocks away. Justin measured it with his dial gauge, and said it was incredibly straight and was at a point that he could still use it without much trouble or delay to the engine build. The timing of this find couldn't have been better - score for me! With this crank, my excitement and anticipation for this engine just went up a significant notch. Here's a few pictures:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1956 Iris Blue Convertible
1958 Pearl White Lowlight KG Convertible
1961 Turkis Ragtop
Jak3-719
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read through the entire thread - GREAT build! My buddy just picked up a '61 rag as well, but we arent certain what the factory color is. It's definitely a project, but it's a very clean start.

The kicker - it's serial 3300001! Very Happy

Remnance of what was left of the ragtop and interior suggest it may have been the same color as your. How would we be able to tell?

-Jake
laneven28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jak3-719 wrote:
I just read through the entire thread - GREAT build! My buddy just picked up a '61 rag as well, but we arent certain what the factory color is. It's definitely a project, but it's a very clean start.

The kicker - it's serial 3300001! Very Happy

Remnance of what was left of the ragtop and interior suggest it may have been the same color as your. How would we be able to tell?

-Jake

Thanks Jake. Unbelievable your buddy was able to locate such an early car - that's a rare find. Best way to determine original color if it's not apparent is to order a birth certificate from the factory that will provide important details for that particular car - color, options, where it was delivered, etc. You can usually find original paint in harder to get to places in the car such as under upholstery, behind the VIN plate, or behind the firewall insulation in the engine compartment. Best of luck - you should encourage him to post up some pictures. Would love to see it.
1961 Turkis Ragtop
HBH72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, what a very fine car you have made - and cool engine !

That VDO tach. I have never seen that. Could you provide any further details on that.. Thanks Henrik
laneven28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HBH72 wrote:
Hi, what a very fine car you have made - and cool engine !

That VDO tach. I have never seen that. Could you provide any further details on that.. Thanks Henrik

Thank you. The tach was custom made by Tim Tracy, samba member tstracy39. Tim does some amazing work - I've bought a couple tachs from him and have been more than pleased with the craftsmanship and quality. The grill came from another great contributor to the vintage vw community, Norbert Bruns from Velen, Germany. His website is: http://www.kaefervwrostfrei.de/index_e.html
1961 Turkis Ragtop
laneven28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, end of the story here. Justin finished building, installing, and tuning the okrasa motor just in the nick of time for Wade to take the car to senior prom that night. I picked the car up from him at Blackline around noon that Saturday and Wade was off by 5 for the evening activities. The car was a big hit with his date and all his friends.

Can't thank Justin and Shayla at Blackline enough for all the hard work they did and late nights they endured to make this happen in time for Wade's big night. We've put close to 500 miles on the car since the engine was completed, and couldn't be happier with how it runs & drives.

Here's a few parting shots, including a couple of Wade's senior pictures he had taken with the car.

1961 Turkis Ragtop
tigerdyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super cool car 👍

The engine blok You used for your okrasa engine did it have cam bearings?
laneven28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. No cam bearings in that case - the bore & surfaces were all good so no need for them.
1961 Turkis Ragtop
VolkFanJefe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Turkis Ragtop Build Reply with quote

WOW! What an awesome build! You guys did an amazing job.

It has been a few years now since you completed this build, Did you guys ever get that Lowlight done?
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Turkis Ragtop Build Reply with quote

Wow

amazing build. Beautiful color and the wheel combo came out great and this is one of my favorite builds.
lazyboy683
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

laneven28 wrote:
AlteWagen wrote:
looks GREAT!!!

what vinyl dye did you use for the panels and rag top? Have it color matched or off the shelf color?

Thanks

I had it color matched & mixed by my paint shop. They recommended spraying an adhesion promotor on the vinyl before the dye, which I did and it made a huge difference in how the dye laid down, dried, and the final color.

What color codes did they use for the panels? Also did you use the same dye for the steering wheel, column, e brake lever, etc. I need to source hydrate green paint and possibly do what y’all did with the door cards on my61 turkis
laneven28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Turkis Ragtop Build Reply with quote

Wow, it's been a long time since I was swimming in the details of this 61 ragtop. Getting hard to remember everything.

I can't remember the name of the darker green on the door panels (maybe it's hydrate green too?), but the light blue is ice blue - a hard to find color. I found a nice original door card to have the dye mixed up for the replacement door panels and ragtop. The dye was put in spray cans like spray paint, but I did not use it on the steering column, shifter, or ebrake - I had paint mixed for those using a hydrate green part I had.

The coloring of the dye is holding up really well, granted the car has been stored indoors for the past several years.

Hope that helps, good luck with your 61!
1961 Turkis Ragtop
lazyboy683
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Turkis Ragtop Build Reply with quote

Hey thanks for going down memory lane for me! That’s a good point I might have to source a og door card and interior piece to get a color match. Hopefully your son is still enjoying that beautiful car. I’m starting a similar one with my two oldest kids (11 and 9). My hopes is it turns out half as good as yours!
laneven28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Turkis Ragtop Build Reply with quote

lazyboy683 wrote:
Hey thanks for going down memory lane for me! That’s a good point I might have to source a og door card and interior piece to get a color match. Hopefully your son is still enjoying that beautiful car. I’m starting a similar one with my two oldest kids (11 and 9). My hopes is it turns out half as good as yours!

My son has grown, graduated college and doesn't drive the car much anymore. We've even considered selling it to let someone else enjoy it and fund other projects, but the time we spent together for a few years traveling around, sourcing parts and putting it together really brought us together and we remain very close as a result - I credit this turkis 61 for our great relationship and friendship. I wish you the same with your kids.

I don't recall what happened to the original door card we used for color sampling, but I'll look around the shop and see if I can find it. I may have an original hydrate green part or two still floating around that may be helpful to you as well.
1961 Turkis Ragtop
lazyboy683
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Turkis Ragtop Build Reply with quote

That would be awesome! Let me if you find them I’ll happily buy them from you.
SLIVER270
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Turkis Ragtop Build Reply with quote

Sent you a PM sir.

))--SLIVER-->
Buggin1963
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is awesome.

laneven28 wrote:
Well, end of the story here. Justin finished building, installing, and tuning the okrasa motor just in the nick of time for Wade to take the car to senior prom that night. I picked the car up from him at Blackline around noon that Saturday and Wade was off by 5 for the evening activities. The car was a big hit with his date and all his friends.

Can't thank Justin and Shayla at Blackline enough for all the hard work they did and late nights they endured to make this happen in time for Wade's big night. We've put close to 500 miles on the car since the engine was completed, and couldn't be happier with how it runs & drives.

Here's a few parting shots, including a couple of Wade's senior pictures he had taken with the car.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
laneven28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 Turkis Ragtop Build Reply with quote

Fun and proud update to share

In the summer of 2022, I had Eric Arnold do a photoshoot with the 61 Ragtop as I wanted some great, professional pictures that we could hang up in the house and memorialize the car me and my boys had built together 10 or so years ago.

When we were done, Eric asked if I wanted the pictures submitted to any of the VW magazines and I said no. I've never thought of the 61 as a magazine or show car, just a super cool driver that brought me and my boys together.

Pictures came back a month or two later, and I was beyond happy with them. Eric asked again if I wanted pictures submitted to the magazines. My close buddy, Joe McRae, talked me into submitting them, but I still didn't expect any magazines to publish them.

A few months ago, Eric reached out and let me know VolksWorld was going to do a feature on the 61. I could barely believe it. I'm still in shock, but super proud to see our 61 featured in the pages of the November 2023 edition of Volksworld.

To make it even better, Joe's stunning green 21-window Samba is featured in the same edition.

My sincere thanks to both Eric Arnold, Joe McRae, and VolksWorld Magazine

Cheers

1961 Turkis Ragtop
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 Turkis Ragtop Build Reply with quote

that's great
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: