Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help! VIN numbers on chassis don't match the pink
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWuprising
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Help! VIN numbers on chassis don't match the pink Reply with quote

Hoping someone can give me insight on this recent discovery. I recently purchased a 82 westy diesel and after registering with DMV discovered that the 4th digit (and only digit) in the VIN on the pink was different than the chassis. Its a Y on the pink and a Z on the chassis. I inspected the van carefully and it is clearly an original camper. My question, Is this likely to be just a DMV error along the way given all the other digits match? Also, is it worth it to get this sorted out at DMV or better off leaving things alone given that its already transferred and registered. The previous owner's pink was off by that single digit also. I do have paperwork from the original sale of the vehicle and the VIN on that paperwork matches the chassis. I do not have old registration slips prior to the previous owner who owned it for 5 years. Thanks, any insight would be greatly appreciated.
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1960 Single Cab had a similar error when I purchased it in 1994. I slapped another plate on the car from my 63 Deluxe and just drove it while I sorted out the issues. I had ordered a title search based on the VIN, and the Title Number of my West Virginia Title that came with the Single Cab. Well it was traced back to Virginia from there and turned out that the WV title company transposed the VIN and The previous TITLE number. Fat finger dumb mistake. After a few months of this I finally received a clean Florida Title all numbers matching and very little cost total. I am just glad I never got pulled over with the 15 window plates on a Single Cab, and I was younger and dumber then.
T
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had a (non-VW) car with a typo in the VIN - a '1' substituted for an 'L'. The car was old enough that the paperwork had at one point been done on a typewriter where a '1' and a lower case 'L' are indistinguishable.

I got it sorted out -- better now than when I sell the car or want to do something else where VIN & title would be compared.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tpinthepack wrote:
I slapped another plate on the car from my 63 Deluxe and just drove it while I sorted out the issues.

It sounds like you know this now, but that's a really bad idea. When I was in my 20s I did a similar stupid move. I put the plate from my '69 onto my '74 Westy. I got pulled over and got a ticket for driving an unregistered vehicle, driving without insurance and switching the plates. A considerable amount of talking, pleading and promising was required to convince the cop not to impound the vehicle. This was in the early 90s and the total cost was still over $350 AFTER I gave them proof of insurance and registration and they dropped those two charges from the ticket.
VWuprising
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the odds that another vehicle exists in a non-camper version (Y as the 4th digit instead of Z) but otherwise has the exact same VIN?
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWuprising wrote:
What are the odds that another vehicle exists in a non-camper version (Y as the 4th digit instead of Z) but otherwise has the exact same VIN?

None, due to the sequential production number and check digit. No two T3's (should) have the same sequential number within the same production year.

If anyone wishes to verify their VIN(s) via the check digit(s), you'll need to do some calculating: http://www.cabby-info.com/vin.htm#Check .
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWuprising
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes me feel a little more reassured that something shady didn't happen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: