Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

HELP: How to silence oil alarm
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: HELP: How to silence oil alarm Reply with quote

On the road, and the oil alarm is falsely sounding. Is there an easy way to shut it up? Can I just disconnect the sender on the engine? Thank you!
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what you want to do is ground the high pressure switch wire. Remove it from the switch and if you still have a ground tab on your distributor from where the factory cap shield connects it should reach to there.
jmranger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you're talking about the >2000RPM sensor, no, disconnecting it won't silence it.

This might help:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=571725
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my '87 Vanagon the PO or his mechanic silenced the buzzer by hacking the instrument foil. I just got finished swapping the instrument cluster, installing a new sensor and getting the warning system back to OG.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=621840&highlight=hack

Don't hack the foil, but get a new sensor installed ASAP. And make sure your system is giving a false warning and not warning you of actual low oil pressure.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From reading...... You've got a bad sender...... Find it and fix it. Much much MUCH better than bypassing it.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I DO NOT recommend doing this, BUT...on the back of the speedo, on the upper portion, you can pull the bar connector from speedo.
It is connected to the foil.
If you screw up your foil, that is on you.
The dynamic oil pressure system is disabled and if you drop oil pressure, you will not be warned by any buzzer.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on 2 of our vans the oil pressure light wire that runs around the back of the engine block would short out from being chaffed on the engine case over time.
some insulative plastic (straw slit in middle on one) stopped the false light & buzzer.
worth the $.02 to check if this may be your issue.. it's the brown wire headed back by the DS flywheel closest cylinder
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
I DO NOT recommend doing this, BUT...on the back of the speedo, on the upper portion, you can pull the bar connector from speedo.
It is connected to the foil.
If you screw up your foil, that is on you.
The dynamic oil pressure system is disabled and if you drop oil pressure, you will not be warned by any buzzer.

I replaced my instrument cluster and swapped speedometers also. The foil connection is easier to unplug by taking the speedometer screws out, lifting and tilting it and pushing on the connection from the dial side. On the hacked foil that I had it wasn't a worry to pull the connection apart by the foil. With the replacement cluster and speedometer and virgin foil I wasn't willing to yank on the foil to get the connection apart. Pushing on the connection from the speedometer innards worked well, but any tugging or yanking on the foil to get the connection apart could lead to a disaster. I did this all on the bench, but it did make me pucker and clench.

Aloha
tp
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
on 2 of our vans the oil pressure light wire that runs around the back of the engine block would short out from being chaffed on the engine case over time.
some insulative plastic (straw slit in middle on one) stopped the false light & buzzer.
worth the $.02 to check if this may be your issue.. it's the brown wire headed back by the DS flywheel closest cylinder

This is what was causing my false alarms. I unplugged the wire and pulled it up and instantly saw the frayed wire. Spliced a new wire in at the connector and that fixed it. Wrapped the new wire in some old fuel line to prevent it happening. I'd check it out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...p;start=20
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you guys! I was set to just ground it with the dizzy tab - great call. But after the buzzer was on during warmup it did not come on all day. Got the plan B in my head now tho so thanks.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: