Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

WolfsburgWest reproduction bumpers
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uniballer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:36 am    Post subject: WolfsburgWest reproduction bumpers Reply with quote

Anyone know about these reproduction bumpers for the split bus that wolfsburg west is selling? They look like there crome in the picture. I havent herd much about it and I need a front and back compleate bumper and this seems like a good way to go. But if there crome I dont want it because I want to paint them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jvigil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:50 am    Post subject: WolfsburgWest repo Bumpers Reply with quote

I asked a while back about being chromed and they are not. Just metal. jake.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jazzed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:36 am    Post subject: WolfsburgWest repo Bumpers Reply with quote

They are paintable and look pretty nice, but they are definately thinner gauge metal than the originals; I would consider looking for a nice used bumper, especially for the rear. There were several good used ones at Classic in the price range of WWs.
Uniballer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:55 am    Post subject: WolfsburgWest repo Bumpers Reply with quote

Thanks, maybe I just need to look harder because I just havent found any good bumpers yet. There always rusted or have nasty dents in them, or the over rider tubes are mangled as hell. I have a real nice euro style front bumper that came with my bus, but I dont want to drill holes and ruin a great bumper for over rider tubes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mixedup59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:28 am    Post subject: WolfsburgWest repo Bumpers Reply with quote

We bought WW bumpers for a 67 splitty resto. The rear was sweet, but the front fit kinda funky. It was hella close to the door opening on both sides and turn up a bit. We tried everything you can think of as far as adjustment but nothing worked....it was the bumper. So anyway, I say find some decent used ones at a show and have a bodyshop take out any dents and refinish them for you. It's probably cheaper. Just my two cents. Good luck.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:53 am    Post subject: WolfsburgWest repo Bumpers Reply with quote

I bought a front blade and wasn't too stoked on it. The outer lips on the front and the bottom were kind of curled up. Not flat like the original. Sold it at a show for what i bought it for and the guy was really happy with it! I guess I'm too picky.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:55 am    Post subject: WolfsburgWest repo Bumpers Reply with quote

I wish I could buy a quality repro for what they sell theirs for about 130.00. I spent way more than that in time and maerials getting a used blade to pit just right. Why cant someone just stamp out some good ones?
mixedup59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:21 am    Post subject: WolfsburgWest repo Bumpers Reply with quote

I agree vintage. I think they had a bad run of front bumpers. Nothing to piss ya off more than going through all the work of restoring a bus, nearing completion, and the freakin' front bumper doesn't fit and nicks the paint on the bottom of the door. Though I've been happy with all their other products...that bumper was a let down.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:22 pm    Post subject: WolfsburgWest repo Bumpers Reply with quote

To be fair, I have been very pleased with WW. Those guys have it going on. Good parts that are shipped promptly and packaged well. Thats why the bumper kinda let me down.
kintail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:22 am    Post subject: WolfsburgWest repo Bumpers Reply with quote

Never thought of repro bumpers when I was doing the '67 restoration. Back bumper was the worst being dented, twisted, and with some rust. Took it to a bumper shop. They said no problem having done these years ago and away they went. Received the same bumper back perfectly straight with new coat of primer. Not cheap, cost$220 Cdn, but direbtly comparable to an NOS bumper... and what do they cost now if you could find one anyway? On the front bumper that was straight, I took the dents out myself with a body hammer, dolly and metal file. The bumper guards can also be done this way, but I found 4 NOS and kept the old ones as spares.
raru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: WolfsburgWest repo Bumpers Reply with quote

What about the bus boys bumpers? Are they any bette than the Wolfsburg West ones? --Raul
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lumber-baron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to install a Wolfsburg West front bumper today. It didn't go well.
The curve is too tight by about an inch to the point that the tips almost touch the lower dogleg
The dogleg mounting points are 3/4" too far to the rear
The holes for the over-riders weren't even close
I made the mistake of not test fitting it before I painted it Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
WTF is their problem
If you can't do it right - not even close - WHY FUCKING BOTHER?
The tips are about to touch the lower dogleg
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The gap between the bumper and the valance is almost 2 inches

it's pushed back as far as it's going to go the dogleg tabs are lined up

The mounting brackets need to come back almost another inch
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumber-baron wrote:
The curve is too tight by about an inch to the point that the tips almost touch the lower dogleg
I made the mistake of not test fitting it before I painted it

funny. that's the same general stuff people said in this same thread..................... 12 years ago.
58deluxerag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Test fit before you paint is a must. Never expect anything to fit.

At least they make something, better than working with nothing. I do agree their products are sub-par on numerous occasions.

'58 Binz
'58 Beetle Ragtop
'65 Sundial
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you Porta-Power it to spread wider? If so, then it would move closer in the front. The dogleg braces are a concern that they now fit the spread though.
lumber-baron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
lumber-baron wrote:

funny. that's the same general stuff people said in this same thread..................... 12 years ago.

If only I had found this thread before I bought the POS
On the other hand one would think that WW was aware by now that there was a problem and maybe fixed it?
volksaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well they are so thin it should be easy to tweak it into shape, remove the overrider, give it a flex and make it fit. Human power should do it no porta needed.
tarzan271
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumber-baron wrote:
hazetguy wrote:
lumber-baron wrote:

If only I had found this thread before I bought the POS
On the other hand one would think that WW was aware by now that there was a problem and maybe fixed it?

They must be hit and miss. I bought both front and rear in '08 and they fit perfect.
tarzan271
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

volksaddict wrote:
Well they are so thin it should be easy to tweak it into shape, remove the overrider, give it a flex and make it fit. Human power should do it no porta needed.

There is no way you can bend that out enough by hand to make it fit. They may be thinner than OG, but they are not paper thin.
lumber-baron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^^
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: