Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for pan seal tips and tricks.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
manyyearsadubman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Looking for pan seal tips and tricks. Reply with quote

Hi all,

We are in the midst of our first body off restoration on a 74 standard... had to replace both pan halves. Everything at this point has gone well and has turned out beautiful. Both sides have been seam sealed top and bottom and the underside has new undercoating on it. We are planning to do the final install on the pan tomorrow and I wanted to pick your brains for some tips and tricks that you might be aware of. I saw a video on YouTube where a guy recommended using seam sealer between the pan and the new gasket. At first I thought it was a good idea but then I realized that the seam sealer we are using only has a working time of 5-10 minutes. That doesn't allow us much time for making sure that everything is perfect before putting the pan in place, and if there are any high spots or globs that would smash down from bolting the pan in place, hardened seam sealer could potentially create a problem. So here is the question... which methods of pan seal installations do you guys recommend... tried and true methods? Silicone? Seam sealer? Nothing at all? Install dry and seam seal the outside? My intuition is leaning toward installing dry and seam sealing the outside. Thanks in advance for any insight.
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just use the floor pan to body seal that was meant for it?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.mtmfg.com/vw/149/Volkswagen-Beetle-Floor-Pans-Floor-Pan-Parts
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have the seal above, no? If not, that's what you want.
IIRC, those have no pre-cut holes.
Since you'please likely put the body on-off-on a few times, use plain rubber cement to temporarily hold the seal in place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you watch the documentary, The shape of quality. I think they put some type of sealant down along with the gasket

Edit just watched, it is the 3 video at 3:00 min
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: