Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Filtered water
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS Kamz, as always you give the best answers and have the best smilies too! LOL Laughing I've opened all links and will read by the end of the day!

I already looked under the sink and those lines were nice and white, thought the nasty ones may have been hidden under/inside something else. I did pull the beside stove cubby apart when I cleaned and didn't see any (or look) for any nasty hoses. I hope I'd have noticed something like that! Sure I'd have wondered what they were and/or how to clean them! LOL Will check again anyway! Suspect someone replaced them recently. Lucky me! Very Happy

Will also ask water guy about clean nasty sludge and the implications of drinking/teeth brushing with it, just out of curiosity. I won't be doing it anytime soon! I've never camped anywhere with out potable water so can't see it being a problem for the next few years anyway...

tam
kamzcab86 wrote:
tam_shops wrote:
Nasty! Going to check mine out! If I can find/see them. Wink

A) Open the under-sink cabinet; they're right there.
B) Open the first horizontal cabinet lid and remove the shelf; they're right there.

tam_shops wrote:
I've been searching for a thread on *cleaning* the lines, but can't find anything on it. I wanted to clean the entire system and then just put clean water in and use it. For everything except drinking?

Did anyone that pulled nasty lines out of their camper try cleaning them first?

Opinions?

First, you're not going get those lines clean just by flushing liquid through them. I can't even do that with my turtle's filter lines (which contain "wet" nastiness) using the "jet" setting on my garden hose sprayer, let alone a 20-year-old hose that's been allowed to go through dry periods.

From another topic http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=422817 :

westynova wrote:
An option rather than replace the hose is to clean it in place. First I would shock the hose and tank with a good chlorine bath. This will kill most of the scunngy stuff. Next, disconnect the hose at the faucet and feed a long flexible wire from the faucet ond of the hose to the tank. Then pull through some sort of a cleaning rag several times. When you pull the first one through, tie a strong rope/ cord to the end so as it come out, you will have a pull through for the next one and so forth until you are satisfied that it is clean. Once this is done, shock the system again and then flush with clean water at least twice or until the taste of chlorine is gone.

^Or, use a pipe cleaner.

My tank-to-sink hose was far worse than what "Gypsy" posted. Easier to replace than attempt to clean, IMO (size: 3/8" ID). Plus, the thought of missing some of that nastiness was rather.... Sick

Once replaced, after (and/or before) each use, flush the tank and line with your preferred sanitization procedure.

Replacement tips: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=488546

Forgot this part of my answer!

Thank you! I didn't know they had an outdoor hose, not sure about using filtered water in my tank though. As much as I don't want to drink chlorine, it does keep the water clean when sitting, especially with in a system. I'll discuss it w/ my water store guy and see what he says. Did you? Curious and always enjoy different POVs.
debbiej wrote:
After cleaning tank and replacing pump and lines, we use our tank for all water needs, including drinking. We take a collapsible jug to haul water if available, for washing dishes. Since I know our thank is clean, I fill up at one of those water stores with the outside hose. It is cheap, seldom more than $2 for the whole tank. This is pretty pure, RO water, and I feel like it won't add slime or add growing things to my westy water system. Still, driving around a few days with bleach water in the tank and lines once a year is a good way to clean. Rinse well and dry and refill with RO water.

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, they say it is purer water, filtering out up to a pretty small size of particulates and other impurities. although I don't leave water in the tank for a really long time, I figure the more pure the water, the less of a culture of bacteria you grow.

There aren't that many hoses to check. I also fill the tank from the inside, I've seen more nasties in the those kinds of hoses with the "ripples". And don't use my outside filler. It is corked off in the tank.
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha. Well, RO filtered water stays fresh in the wintertime.
Typing my response above made me remember the water had been In the tank a while. Well, the hose from the top of the tank to the faucet was still nice and clean, but the hose from the pump to the fitting in the top of the tand, and the tube that runs to the pump were slimy and starting to grow a black fuzz. Gross. Added bleach to the tank, wiped hoses down, ran faucet till it was running bleach water. I'll let it slosh around, rinse several times and ler it dry. So much for my theory.
GypsyDriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: The reason I went with this one Reply with quote

I was in Lowe's today to get some stuff and stopped by the water filter section. I remembered the reasons why I bought the one I did. It was advertised as next level filtering rather than 'standard' chlorine odor and taste with sediment. This one says is filters cysts. Don't know about you, but I don't like cysts in my water. Don't know how they get in there, but I don't like to drink them.

The second reason was I remember measuring the cabinet and this was the only one I could find that fit in the top of the cabinet and didn't require me to modify the shelf. I think there's a GE product out there, but it has a lower filter rating.

Its on clearance now for $28. A good price for cyst-free water, if you ask me. Don't know if that means Lowe's will stop selling soon. I imagine so. Amazon has them. Replacement filters are spendy at $25 apiece.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cysts are a hard to kill dispersal form of many parasites - no, you do not want them in your water
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those looking for the filter/UV combo device in the first post (look for the 12vDC model), $395:

http://www.waterfixercompany.com/order500.html

The RV Water Filter Store also has a 3-stage filter plus UV model (also available in 12vDC) for $479, for those who are planning international trips and want to dump municipal water from foreign countries into their tanks:

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/WCUVSystems.htm

For an interesting DIY take on this last idea, see Drive Nacho Drive website for their home-brew filter/UV system, built into a clever floorpan/false floor system in their van:

http://www.drivenachodrive.com/about-nacho/water-2/

They traveled the entire world, took potable water from all countries (Central America, South America, etc.), drank only from their van, and never suffered intestinal maladies. They also built a true enterprise system, with on-demand hot water capabilities from a separate 15 gallon tank.

I'm using a 10" standard filter canister from RV Water Filter Store. These canisters have tons of filter options that are available cheaply and everywhere:

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/DWStandardCanisters.htm

...with an F1Pb 0.5 micron cartridge:

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/RCComboCartridge.htm

My setup costs about $65 shipped. This mounts under the sink and filters all output coming from the tank to the Shurflo faucet. My philosophy is that I want to trust all the water coming out of the faucet, no matter what. We use water sparingly, so filtering everything doesn't bother me. I want it to taste good and have no particulates. A modest capful of bleach in the tank, filling the tank with treated municipal water, keeping the tank clean, and this 10" filter system buys me the confidence to trust the Westy water tank. It helps that I replaced all the lines when I bought the van. I think the next time I upgrade the system I'll go to the 3-stage UV filter system.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentex 5" filter housings in multiple options:
http://www.freshwatersystems.com/c-108-5-10-20-slim-line-filter-housings.aspx

Filter, carbon block .5-micron:
http://www.freshwatersystems.com/p-777-pentek-155169-43-cbc-5-carbon-block-filter-05-mic.aspx

Inexpensive 12V UV purifier:
http://www.freshwatersystems.com/c-161-ultra-sun-tech.aspx

This is the system I have in my Westy currently, driven by a Flojet 35 psi, 1.0 gpm valved pump and accumulator tank. A .2-micron ceramic filter is better yet but not sure there is an element available for the 5" housing.

(I'm sure someone will pipe in here to say my system is 'insufficient', as in the past. It works, I no longer carry bottle water.)

For the upcoming Sprinter build, I am using this unit, which will accept std. 10" filters where ceramic .2-micron elements are more easily found:
http://www.safh2ouv.com/Model-500.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great info, Karl. This thread is now a perfect reference. I'm going to try those less expensive UV units this year.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thanks Karl. Would the 5" be the way to go for under sink or does the filter need to be changed too often compared to the 10"?
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE wrote:
Something I never understand is, if water is good enough for a dog to drink, then why is it deemed not okay for a human? If you won't drink the water (you being anyone) why give it to the dog?

Cuz- a dog licks his butt and dosen't get sick- My nasty old Basset hound (Ron White style) ate cat s--- well you get the idea-

So apples and oranges.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singler3360 wrote:
Yes, thanks Karl. Would the 5" be the way to go for under sink or does the filter need to be changed too often compared to the 10"?

I change mine about once a year, when I notice the water volume drop off from the faucet. Easy enough to keep a spare filter element on board.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
svenakela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
Pentex 5" filter housings in multiple options:
http://www.freshwatersystems.com/c-108-5-10-20-slim-line-filter-housings.aspx

Filter, carbon block .5-micron:
http://www.freshwatersystems.com/p-777-pentek-155169-43-cbc-5-carbon-block-filter-05-mic.aspx

Inexpensive 12V UV purifier:
http://www.freshwatersystems.com/c-161-ultra-sun-tech.aspx

This is the system I have in my Westy currently, driven by a Flojet 35 psi, 1.0 gpm valved pump and accumulator tank. A .2-micron ceramic filter is better yet but not sure there is an element available for the 5" housing.

(I'm sure someone will pipe in here to say my system is 'insufficient', as in the past. It works, I no longer carry bottle water.)

For the upcoming Sprinter build, I am using this unit, which will accept std. 10" filters where ceramic .2-micron elements are more easily found:
http://www.safh2ouv.com/Model-500.html

With this setup you can save space and get rid of the waste water tank and plumb the waste to the fresh water tank. That's how they do it in San Diego. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
DAIZEE wrote:
Something I never understand is, if water is good enough for a dog to drink, then why is it deemed not okay for a human? If you won't drink the water (you being anyone) why give it to the dog?

Cuz- a dog licks his butt and dosen't get sick- My nasty old Basset hound (Ron White style) ate cat s--- well you get the idea-

So apples and oranges.
Well said, if u own a dog u already know (this 4 the unknowing ) that anything NOT their own will be sniffed, licked,& usually eaten. So after with 2 daughters, gerbils, rabbits, lizards, turtles, 2dogs, 3 cats,1 snake (very short time) hamsters, probably missing some, 'things happen' . Kids with their own & some of the above, we only have a 16 lb outside cat that was wild & decided to adopt us about 5yrs ago, it gets interesting sometimes, only understands no, eat & sit (rolls over) & the back yard is his, no other whatever, I'll stop coffee is ready.
Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my filter project. My cabinetry is a bit modified but with minor changes this setup would work on any van. Decent flow as this unit is designed for RV/Marine, unit is a bit larger than the others I looked at. I cut a hole in the removable cabinet bottom. The whole thing is easy to remove/replace and the water really does taste better. I usually put filtered water in the tank but its nice to have options.

kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Filtered water Reply with quote

Update on my filtered water setup:

I am a very heavy Westy sink/water supply user. After a year of using the system with the filter always in the pathway of sink water, I wanted to upgrade the system to allow the filter to be optionally switched on or off.

The method for doing this involves using a 12v 3-way ball valve controlled by a single SPST switch.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OH73OVE/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00979P8TS/

The valve required some 1/2" BSPT > 3/8" barb fittings:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018501YZ6/

Plus a 3/8" barb tee, new 3/8" tubing, and a new sink pump.

The use of a SPST switch required two separate relays to accommodate the desired simple interface design and wiring demand.

The overall result is a switched water filter setup. Totally more complex than necessary, but I really like having the option. Now I can put a T4 shower tap in place of the Shurflo and have great water pressure for showers, or turn on the filter and have high quality, good tasting, trustworthy water from the tank.

kourt
avernon82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Filtered water Reply with quote

wow kourt, that's complicated! I think i'm going to do the same thing, but with a dpdt switch. should work?
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Filtered water Reply with quote

It might work, but the design intent of my system is to make sure the valve is not consuming current after it has been actuated, and to provide a simple interface that requires no explanation. You can probably get very close to those same conditions with the DPDT switch and not use the relays.

kourt
avernon82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Filtered water Reply with quote

this is from the description:

Wire type: CR01, function as below:
1.Connecting SW and OPEN, the valve moves from the position 1 to position 2, automatically power off, the valve remain in position 2.
2.Connecting SW and CLOSE, the valve moves from the position 2 to position 1, automatically power off, the valve remain in position 1.

Could always use a momentary DPDT. Would be hard to tell what setting the valve is by looking at it, though.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Filtered water Reply with quote

Exactly. So instead of making myself the perpetual steward of a less-than-intuitive system (I always have guests in my van), mine is a little complicated behind the scenes but incredibly easy to understand in its interface and operation, requiring less work for me over time.

Kourt
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Filtered water Reply with quote

Any filtered water projects going on recently?

Planning on going to Baja, Mexico, and looking to add a filter between the Westy tank and faucet.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: