Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

balancing crank
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lorca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 2:28 am    Post subject: balancing crank Reply with quote

Hi every one, i have a qustion to ask how balancing is done ? as i took my dpr 69mm crank with the lightweight fly wheel, pressure plate, and equaliser 5.7lbs pulley to the machine shop for balancing.

Its seams that he didn't assembled the pully while balancing as it wasn't attached to the crank, does it effect? I couldn't ask him as i didnt went to pick up the crank and i need to wait till monday,

As i was doing some research on youtube and cb performance do the balancing as it was done to mine. [/youtube] https://youtu.be/sD4GEAI7sXA

But on john maher site they even install the pully and timing gears to the crank.
http://johnmaherracing.com/machine-work/balancing/

I know that balancing with timing gears and pully is better than without them. But balancing without timing gears and pully will effect the crank when installed ?

s

[url][/url]
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balancing is done g-cm, so the timing gears and pulley matter sweet FA unless you are turning very high revs and/or have a heavier "equaliser" style pulley.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those video's only show part of the balancing process.

First you balance the crank all by itself. Then you add the flywheel and balance again. Then you add the pulley and balance again. Many people argue but the pressure plate should be balanced independently by itself so it can be replaced when damaged without effecting the other parts. If the pressure plate is balanced on the crank & flywheel then you must rebalance the entire assembly when you replace the pressure plate. The front pulley can also be balanced independently like the pressure plate.

Yes the gears should be installed on the crank. It probably makes very, very, very little difference on a street engine at 3200 RPM highway cruising speeds but the timing gears could make a difference at 7000 RPM racing speeds. It all makes a difference.
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:

First you balance the crank all by itself. Then you add the flywheel and balance again. Then you add the pulley and balance again. Many people argue but the pressure plate should be balanced independently by itself so it can be replaced when damaged without effecting the other parts. If the pressure plate is balanced on the crank & flywheel then you must rebalance the entire assembly when you replace the pressure plate. The front pulley can also be balanced independently like the pressure plate.

Yes the gears should be installed on the crank. It probably makes very, very, very little difference on a street engine at 3200 RPM highway cruising speeds but the timing gears could make a difference at 7000 RPM racing speeds. It all makes a difference.

EXCELLENT ADVICE
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
Total seal 2nd ring, rest are Grants
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
Steve Long XR310 on a 106
CB 1.4 rockers
CB Magnaspark 2 distributor
NGK D7ea plugs
A1 lowdown 1 3/4 with single muffler
Dellorto 48's with 40 venturies
Kennedy Stage 2 with Daiken disc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course gears and pulleys must be balanced.
A factory "balanced" pulley can easily be 5-10 grams out.
You don't actually correct gears, but they have to be there for the spin because they are not symmetrical.
Another tidbit: Balancing have no linear relation to rpm. Or rather, it does, but that's not the whole picture. Every crank system has resonant or critical points in it's range. You don't want to excite those more than necessary.
Completely stock engines have these under control, but as soon as you modify the engine all bets are off.
I have always advocated to do balancing to the very best precision the instruments can handle. It does not take much more time than doing it badly.
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would any, let's say, balance shop in Denver be ok? How do you know who to trust to do a good balance job?
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:

I'll add something that I went through, to highlight why the process Dave described is important. If every part isn't balanced individually first, and then together, and instead you just balance it as one lump from the start, what happens when you need a new flywheel someday? Or change front pulleys, or rods?
I got a nice used crank, that measured and magna fluxed fine, and started to build with it. When I dropped it off with the clutch, flywheel, rods, etc to be balanced I got a call. The crank was way, way out of balance, and it had been balanced before. My shop suspects that it had been balanced to an out of balance flywheel. It might have been fine that way, but it was not fine when the crank and flywheel were split up!
g3bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you purchased a CW stroke crank for street use (below 6000rpm) from a good shop like dpr, is there really any reason to have it balanced again as there balanced during production they say. Or must one ask to balance to within 1gm. & pay extra? Same thought with flywheel...
'82 Toyota 4x4 5sp PU lb, daily driver
Many Corvairs /& 4 rag tops
'63 Chevy 20 Truck w/4sp 292
Want, white plastic end pieces for dash grab handle
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crank and gears + keys are balanced first.

The pulley and flywheel can go on the crank at the same time. They are on opposite sides LEFT and RIGHT so you read that on the machine. You can do them both at the same time. They don't have to be done separately.

AFter you get the unbalances where you need them, then hang the pressure plate.

I just balanced an assembly and the EMPI pressure plate was out by 4 ounce inches. 1 ounce = 28.34 grams. It took some MIG welding the light side and taking some from the heavy side to get that down to 0.4 ounce

I have to add though that I have never seen a German or Brazilian pressure plate that much out of balance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever seen a pulley or gear out by that much?
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g3bill wrote:
If you purchased a CW stroke crank for street use (below 6000rpm) from a good shop like dpr, is there really any reason to have it balanced again as there balanced during production they say. Or must one ask to balance to within 1gm. & pay extra? Same thought with flywheel...

You still send the crank to get balanced, otherwise they have nothing to hang the flywheel and clutch plate onto to balance them.

Nick, ever balance the clutch disc?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my old berg heavy junk pully was out more than I figure it should of been.(not the super heavy extra junk parts maker equlizer) every aluminum pully Ive ever done or had done have been very close.I personaly would /could swap aluminum pullys with no worrys. I tried to get DRD to balance my 86 crank with the gears&keys...not...also flywheel attached....not. I wish CB had that crank at that time Crying or Very sad oh well live &learn. balancing is fast&simple on these cranks....but you cant fix stupid. Wink
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aluminum pulleys will normally spin very low on the balancer. Single can be mounted on a precision mandrel and spun by itself.

Or.. you can have it spin on its crank.

It is the pressure plate that really screws up your work. AS you hang the pressure plate, that unbalance will affect both sides. So just keep that in mind. You do the correction only on that side where you hang the new item. The other side will eventually come down as the unbalance gets smaller.

Balancing the clutch disk might be a good idea, but it is not standard practice.

Come to think of it, maybe I will mount one on a mandrel and see how far out it is.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chunks missing out of disc can be a headache. Ive often wondered how close a disc was.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: