Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Raise the location of the front, inside seat belt anchor
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
singletrackrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Raise the location of the front, inside seat belt anchor Reply with quote

I am plan on installing a Dometic CF-025DC Refrigerator between the front seats of my '87 Westy. In order to do this properly I would like to raise the inside anchor bolt location or lengthen the metal strap that holds the buckle. Does anyone have either experience with this modification or advice as to how to best accomplish it.
'04 Forester XT
'00 4Runner Limited (sold)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you have a welder, the fabricating skills to use it, you can move the mount anywhere you want.
GreenMachineVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am fairly sure the Westfalia uses a shorter seat belt metal strap to allow the seat to swivel. Check out a non-Westfalia.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Raise the location of the front, inside seat belt anchor Reply with quote

singletrackrod wrote:
...or lengthen the metal strap that holds the buckle.

That holds the buckle, or that holds the receiver? Longer receiver is readily available: http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1868_1346/front-seat-belt-receiver-for-non-swivel-seats.html .
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GreenMachineVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking like these:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
singletrackrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:00 pm    Post subject: Thanks for all the great input Reply with quote

I appreciate everyone's input, apparently in my case, the best solution is going to be a pair of these: http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=23412&category_id=&category_parent_id=
'04 Forester XT
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like there is some buckle incompatibility as well with those replacement buckles.

How about a no-welding-necessary / low $ solution? - A section of 1/8" thick flat bar with a hole on each end and a bolt and make your own extension?

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume those are copies of a VW item(?)

If so, they have gone thru a safety testing program.

While a competent welder can move the mount anywhere you want, only a group of engineers and large testing program can ensure that the relocated mount does not put crippling loads on your spine in case of an accident.
singletrackrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanis - I had thought of that; a section of flat bar and a bookbinders bolt, but the GW cable tether offers a option that places the receiver a bit closer to the seat. This is crucial in this case as the space available between the new fridge and the new seats is limited.

Merian - Of course you are right regarding the ultimate safety factor requiring significant design and testing, however since my next upgrade is a pair of Corbeau racing seats the fine points of exact placement sort of go out the window as the vectors and level points all will change.
'04 Forester XT
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: