Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vintage speed motors
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Vintage speed motors Reply with quote

hi every one I love old school vintage speed motors . I know you old speed guys are out there . I need some input. could you guys post some photos here. of your old school motors .I don't care what year it is just so it has old speed vintage parts on it. also some old speed parts you have would be cool . so heres your chance to show off your old school parts thanks spencerfvee ps I will post some of mine soon update in the photos the belt guard is from the early 1970s the valve covers are from the late 1960s the drag race gene berg oil filter is from the late 1960s the dizys are mallorys the cam is a deano 136 s like a 110 engle cam the plate frame is from the early 1960s hope to se more people post photos spencerfvee

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[im
g][/img]

Last edited by spencerfvee on Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Speedsterboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's mine, the Swiss made Mag Supercharger but long gone since I've moved on from the hobby..I had 2 of these at one stage!

spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow that's cool I bet it ran good thanks for posting .spencerfvee
Speedsterboy wrote:
Here's mine, the Swiss made Mag Supercharger but long gone since I've moved on from the hobby..I had 2 of these at one stage!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lovinbronx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedsterboy wrote:

Did you ever sell the dual carbs you had? saw them listed on AVD

Dan
lurkinstock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my Express clone with dual cyclones a bunch of 25hp parts

59 single cab
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no I pulled the add thinking about putting them on a vintage motor know one knew what they were .the air cleaner sell for about $200 it was a great deal when I had it on samba lol . I had a lot of money in them they were on my formula vee 1600cc motor ran sweet I think guys are more into weber carbs .lol I also have a Pepco super charger I kind of cant make up my mind witch one I want to put on my next motor take care spencerfvee
lovinbronx wrote:
Speedsterboy wrote:

Did you ever sell the dual carbs you had? saw them listed on AVD

Dan
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice motor what kind of air cleaners are those ? there cool looking like the old carbs . thanks for posting I have ben looking at the post on vintage speed every one asks about old speed parts they have but they never post photos of them . also I se a lot of old school parts sold on samba but I never see many old school speed parts on cars .when I go to vw shows were are all them judsons at lol and Pepco super chargers at ??? lets see them I will show you mine if you show me your super charger lol lol .spencerfvee
lurkinstock wrote:
Here is my Express clone with dual cyclones a bunch of 25hp parts
Envious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedwell 40hp with big bore kit.

64 Type 361 L575 Nutria
64 Porsche 356c
56 Type 113 L227 Strato Silver
52 BSA C11G
59 Heilite Single Wheel Camping Trailer
56 Allstate Single Wheel
84 Vanagon Westfalia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=388225
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

love that fire wall .I know those carbs are rare ./real nice job very clean motor does it run as good as it looks ?I know it does lol the 4 spark plugs is a super nice I am going to do the same thing I hope people keep posting spencerfvee ps heres my big bore 40 hp motor that's in my vee dual springs big valve S&S valves big bore kit 9:1 CR mallorys coil and dizy vanguard dual carb kit vanguard valve covers motor sounds bad ass cant wait to get it to the track to see how it runs I just love the sound of a vintage speed motor I think its going to be fun to maybe beat some 1600cc motors at the track spencerfve
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject: old speed dual carbs Reply with quote

I set of saur dual carbs spencerfvee

spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject: vintage parts Reply with quote

I just got a cool breather box off of my friend resto johnny and I scored a rare vanguard shifter. this is my vintage Pepco super charger I rebuilt it at the shop very easy to work on. cant wait to put it on my formula vee 40hp motor

spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: vintage speed is it alive or dead Reply with quote

ok guys is vintage speed alive or is it dead ?whats your take on vintage speed is it alive or is it dead . I keep asking my self this when I come on the vintage forum. I see in 2008 evertt tried to start a vintage speed forum and it did not do well at all .I don't think theres a lot of vintage speed people . out there . you go to the high performance forum and its busy busy . my take is this. is it cost more money to build a all out big block 36 hp motor .than to build a big 2180 motor with all new parts. and most 36hp powerd cars are all stock . they want then the way they came from Germany . the 40hp guys well theres realy not a lot of vintage speed parts out there for 40hp motors and when you find them they cost a lot of money .a guy can build a 1600cc way cheaper than a 40 hp motor . I found that out when I built my 40 hp motor for my vee I gave my two cents on vintage speed . what do you guys have to say about vintage speed forum. you know guys theres not much posting at all on the whole vintage speed forum its dead most of the time . spencerfvee
Karly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daily driver Judson bug -

I don't think vintage speed is dead - I think people tend to hoard the parts rather than fitting them! The amount of people who tell me they have a Judson stored away is surprisingly high!

I don't think I'll be doing vintage speed for my 40hp in my ghia as mentioned the parts are fairly $$, I'm leaning towards a 1600 at this stage.
Steve22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most build the later cases as they have better oiling and with the doghouse, better cooling. Also the cranks (stock) tend to be longer lived. I like the 40hp vintage speed (probably because my 65 ghia cabrio has one!). The parts are out there, you just have to look for them.
'73 Sunroof Transporter
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi steve your very right on .about the later cases being stronger. vws best sales of the vw bug were from 1967 to 1972 . so there is a lot of 1600 motor parts out there . I have herd that the 40hp cranks break. but I have never sen one break I worked at a vw dealer ship from 1972 to 1974 and never saw a 40 hp crank break . I two like vintage speed parts . I don't see vintage speed parts on vw cars that much at vw shows .when I took my formula vee to vw shows. people were all over it looking at the vw vintage speed parts I had on the motor . when I built my 2180 with 48IDAs no one looked at it that much at vw shows . I am like the flat head ford guys . that have a saying flat heads for ever . I say vintage speed forever lol have fun with you 65 ghia spencerfvee
Steve22 wrote:
I think most build the later cases as they have better oiling and with the doghouse, better cooling. Also the cranks (stock) tend to be longer lived. I like the 40hp vintage speed (probably because my 65 ghia cabrio has one!). The parts are out there, you just have to look for them.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your very right I know a guy that has the biggest hoard of vintage speed parts I have ever seen .and he does nothing with them . but look at them on a shelf .he wont let to many people see them he spends ever dime he has on vintage parts . that's ok with me its his thing if he wants to do that ..I also spend to much money on vw vintage parts lol I think we all do lol you could be right vintage speed parts might not be dead .there just sitting on some guys shelf . spencerfvee.
Karly wrote:
My daily driver Judson bug -

I don't think vintage speed is dead - I think people tend to hoard the parts rather than fitting them! The amount of people who tell me they have a Judson stored away is surprisingly high!

I don't think I'll be doing vintage speed for my 40hp in my ghia as mentioned the parts are fairly $$, I'm leaning towards a 1600 at this stage.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: empi oil pump Reply with quote

empi oil pump I got today its like brand new cond.i got it for $30.00 you can still find vintage parts .I am getting parts for a vintage motor build

lawn ninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the stuff you guys have is crazy. I'm looking to do this to my 40hp but I have the flat port heads so I'm having a hell of a time finding manifolds. I'm about to make my own.

My 64 1500 S Notchback project here
My 58 sedan project here
My 63 Ghia here
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi lawn when I built my 40 hp motor I to had a very hard time finding dual carb intake manifolds for my 40 hp motor I did find two sets of vanguard manifolds for my 40 hp motor . I allway look on samba classifieds some times 3 times a day . I do find vintage parts for my motors . if you look on samba forums you will find a forum that tells you how to make your own dual carb set up for a 40hp motor keep looking good luck finding the parts you need spencerfvee
lawn ninja wrote:
Some of the stuff you guys have is crazy. I'm looking to do this to my 40hp but I have the flat port heads so I'm having a hell of a time finding manifolds. I'm about to make my own.
Peter_Plade
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my Express kit motor in my 54 oval.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: