Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No Engine Number on 40 horse case
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: No Engine Number on 40 horse case Reply with quote

Recently acquired a complete engine, except for distributor and air cleaner.
It is a stale air 1200. It has some interesting brackets on each side of the shroud that are production made and seem to have been with this engine since day one.

There is no engine number and the case has not been milled. Also, on the cylinder tins, where the cylinder numbers are pressed in the sheet metal, the entire area is raised about an inch high, an inch wide and the length of the tins.

I believe this may have been an industrial engine. The muffler was toast, but it appeared to have been larger than automotive application. It does have a throttle ring type t stat assembly on it and a 28 PCI carb, which had some ribs in the casting right above the mounting flange.

I'm slowly tearing this thing down, trying to salvage anything good from it, hoping for a good case.

Does anyone have info on cases with no ID numbers and perhaps that carb with the ribs in it?

The only pix I have are on my cell... Wish there was a straight forward way to load them from my phone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really answer your questions but:
1. The cylinder tin sounds like Bus bastard engine tin
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's a bastard engine carb but yours sounds different?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2. Feel free to email me the pics to me email below and I will load them here
You should be able to post them from your phone too but some people have trouble.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh.... That is what I have.... I guess I was hoping it was something special.
The carb and the tins are certainly the ones you have pictured.

The engine is seized,but I discovered it was likely shelved because of a pulled rocker stud on#2.

Fingers are still crossed on that numberless case....😃

Thanks for taking the time to clear up this find for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: