Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to tell a factory ragtop sunroof car
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmeffert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: How to tell a factory ragtop sunroof car Reply with quote

Hello all, I am new to Beetles and am looking for a factory 61 to 63 ragtop sunroof car. Is there a way to tell, short of peeling back the headliner, if the car is genuine or if it had the roof from another car grafted onto it? I am contemplating a long drive to go look at one and don't want to get suprised when I get there. Thanks!
Corney13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be hard to tell, depending on how it's done. If the it was cut at the pillars and done well, you may not be able to tell unless you sand the paint off and look for welds. Some are done by cutting a hole in the roof and either welding it in from the top or bottom. Some are done by cutting the roof skin at the drip rails.

With the exception of the pillar method, often people do not weld the supports in to the roof. You could feel around the front corners and feel for the supports. The corners of the headliner would be right up against them. There is also one in front of the latch.

What condition is the paint in, Is it original? If so, and it has a patina, then it may be more likely that the ragtop is original to the car, but not guaranteed.

Sorry, now that I read my post, I am not helping much! Neutral
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think most folks wouldn't advertise a grafted sunroof as an original. If the guy claims it's original, most likely it is. If he seems a little sketchy, proceed with caution.

If you order a birth certificate that would confirm whether or not it's an original sunroof car.

-jeffrey
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bring a magnet and check for filler around the rag AND up and down the posts.....if the rag was added in and you can't find out by checking then it has been done well and it doesn't matter .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery

Last edited by grandpa pete on Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, the quality may be there- but I disagree with Grandpa Pete. Genuine will always be worth more. Driving long distance to get duped with a hack roof car- well done or not- is not worth it. Like jhicken said, rarely will a seller lie about a hacked roof. Just be specific with questions and look carefully. If they hedge, don't make the drive, or offer them money based on it being a hack. Corney13- your advice is helpful. Look at all variables based on the variety of the methods used.

It's simple, the roof skin and pillars should have zero weld evidence.

Step one: research the differences between years. '63s are vastly different from '62 sunroofs. Thus, a regular sunroof with no plastic guides and a Golde "S" handle on a '63 should raise a flag.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
dmeffert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. The only one I have seen in person is a 61 with a Golde handle. What should the 63 handle look like and where are the plastic guides?
One other thing, there is a Wolfsburg crest on the hood. I thought those were gone by 63, but the JBUGS catalog lists it up to 63. What is correct?
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmeffert wrote:
there is a Wolfsburg crest on the hood. I thought those were gone by 63, but the JBUGS catalog lists it up to 63. What is correct?

Early production '63 models (Aug 1962-Nov 1962) cars still had the hood crest
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmeffert wrote:
where are the plastic guides?

Plastic guides are the rear most "corner" rails. About 5" in length and moulded from a Yellow colored plastic as opposed to being made of Aluminum

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmeffert wrote:
The only one I have seen in person is a 61 with a Golde handle. What should the 63 handle look like?

1963-only sunroof handle

1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RareAir wrote:
dmeffert wrote:
The only one I have seen in person is a 61 with a Golde handle. What should the 63 handle look like?

1963-only sunroof handle

A friends 1966 type 115 ( 115 is a 1200"A" or Left hand drive former standard model with the old style sunroof ) canvas sliding sunroof. Check the link;
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x314/losthillsguy/66%20Standard/standard061.jpg
youngnstudly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
.....if the rag was added in and you can't find out by checking then it has been well and it doesn't matter .

I tend to agree with this. I would venture to guess that most (MOST) people searching for a vintage sunroof VW aren't too concerned with whether or not the car is a factory ragtop car, as long as it isn't a hacked up heap of junk. Most people aren't looking for a factory correct car that is museum quality anyways, and even if they were, they would most likely be bright enough to get ALL documentation on the restoration, and/or have a "pro" evaluate the car for them. A majority of people want a cool car to drive on weekends or drive to car shows and other events, nothing more.

Besides, a true professional weldor and fabricator will have the ability to make it impossible to detect that a sunroof section was welded into an original sedan, quite possibly regardless of the method they used....Sooo, the birth cert. is the only real way to know with 100% certainty. My 2 cents...

Andy
dmeffert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the photos and advice. I will check out the car and see what I find.
dmeffert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to see the car today. The owner was very nice, and I am sure he was honest, as he told me about every issue the car had before I drove over there. He was sure the car was original but it had the earlier handle, aluminum rear guides and the wolfsburg crest on the hood, but the serial number was a later 63. If i had to guess, I think it was a real 62 sunroof body on a 63 pan. The car ran and drove great and looked ok, but was a lot more work than I want to undertake. Too bad as I really liked the owner as he is one of those people who make this hobby fun to be involved with.
Those are just my observations and I am by no means an expert.
Anyway it was cool to spend a Saturday looking at cars.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: