Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

64 Karmann Ghia gears grinding
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gavino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: 64 Karmann Ghia gears grinding Reply with quote

Okay, well I'm 16 years old and I've had my '64 Ghia for about 2 months now. It was running fine until about 2 days ago it started grinding really bad when switching from first to second and even then it doesnt switch into second. After a while I noticed it only happened when turning right. My dad took it out and he seemed to be immune to the grinding and it never happened to him but everytime I did it, it grinded. I think the reason being is that he was going very slow when switching from first to second. For the time being I guess I have to go super slow on right turns (which is tough to remember) or go in first until the car has finished turning. While it is still driveable.... it really is very very annoying and feels dangerous. When the grinding did happen I had to switch it back into first then again to second. I understand I could double clutch and it works but the point is before this wasnt a problem, and now it is. So I'm sure there's something that went wrong mechanically that hopefully I can fix that will make it work fine again. Keep in mind it ONLY happens when turning right and going from first to second, never under any other circumstances. Please be detailed with responses as I am new to cars... THANK YOU!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adjust for proper amount of clutch pedal play.

Have you checked the transaxle gear oil level or better yet changed it?

Check that all three transaxle rubber mounts are in good condition and not cracked thru.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search around and get this manual ASAP. Used condition will be even less $$.

http://www.amazon.com/Volkswagen-1200-Workshop-Man...hop+manual
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep your clutch pedal should only have 1/2" > 3/4" free play. If it has more you need to adjust the free play by tightening the nut on the cable where it runs through the arm on the far right in the picture:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and when done adjusting the clutch...adjust the shifter, check coupling under the backseat too. 3rd, there is a nylon ring the shift shaft runs thru, its under the handbrake in tunnel. Confirm that one is there and in good condition.
Thats about all you can do, if condition persists...it may be trans time Crying or Very sad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
-Zodiac-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
if condition persists...it may be trans time Crying or Very sad

Or learn to drive it like dad Wink

agree with all of the above, I had problems with mine too - Eventually I adjusted and replaced everything mentioned (besides the trans mounts..and the trans..)

Goodluck!
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you might be tagging reverse when going into 2nd. Turning right has nothing to do with it except that on a right turn you might be leaning to the left, and unknowingly pulling the shifter to the left.

Spend time searching "shift rod bushing" here on the Samba. You need to replace yours because it is worn out. The procedure is the same on Beetles, so search the Beetle forums.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bikerchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto with paying attention to avoid that reverse. I know it may sound a bit silly. Sometimes when I am at a stop and shifting into first I have to tug up a bit on the shifter...the opposite of pressing down when going into reverse.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: