Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tin Top to Space Roof Conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Collin1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing about this make sense financially. My first bus was a 71 Sportsmobile I got when I was 17 in 1986 with money from cutting grass and working construction in the summer. I liked it better than my buddy's Westy. This is what I wanted. It took me a while to decide between restoring my old work van I've had for 20 yrs, or purchasing and starting with a splitty. After looking at a few splittys, I realized I preferred the experience of being inside the bay. This bus will mostly be garaged, used on weekends and occasional outings. and kept perfect. The roof made sense financially because I got everything on one place. Sourcing the parts and labor to get anything near this quality would have taken a lot of time. I run a busy construction company and am a single dad to a toddler (thus the bed up top). Original paint code, high quality cabinetry using the original Westy stuff as templates; cleaning, polishing, and reusing every good piece of metal such as VW emblem, seats and z-bed frames, original hubcaps, even some of the brake springs that were higher quality than what came in the replacement kits, will maintain original essence while improving quality. The only thing obviously unoriginal at a glance, will be a smart TV. I don't see ever selling it. If I decide in the future to do a splitty it will be stock. Cudos to the folks who make & supply both OEM and custom VW stuff. This is one less bay that will rot in a junkyard. My company performs both renovation and new construction services. The more appropriate of the two depends on the real estate you start with and where you want to end up. I think the same applies here. Stock Nazzi, I too often cringe at what I see people do to great old stuff. Thank goodness my dad wouldn't let me paint his original '58 Fender guitar red when I was 13.
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering...any additional thoughts on your Space Roof after a year? Would still love to see those installation instructions if you have a chance...the strengthening dollar makes purchases in GBP a lot more feasible these days.

Thanks!
- Doug Smile
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
A very, very understanding wife
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I'd love to see a pic or two of what you did to adapt your tin-top's headliner to accommodate the space roof. I had hopes that, should I ever try such a conversion that I'd be able to retain a headbanger cabinet.

Thanks again!
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collin, please disregard my last post...Pete from Spaceroof sent them to me and I've had a chance to read them in detail. I'm definitely thinking about the DIY kit...I have a nice Rivi top waiting in the wings already but prefer the look, operation and height of the Spaceroof quite a bit better.

Thx!
- Doug
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
Collin1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Resto almost complete Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

69 Triumph Trophy
50 hp Massey Ferguson Tractor
Diesel Chevy Truck
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great! How do you like it so far? I think mine is coming next week Smile
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
Collin1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug,
It's great. First road trip to the beach in a bus in 16 years. I remember why I like these things so much. Can't wait to see yours.
69 Triumph Trophy
Diesel Chevy Truck
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking Bus! I see you're local. Do you visit any of the shows put on by VOSA or any of the other clubs in town? I've been laying pretty low the past few years on shows and such as I haven't had a running VW, but I recently acquired a 68 Westy and will be out and about more. I'd love to see your Bus in person. It looks great!

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must have missed this thread a year ago. Stock or not, I love it! From what you started with to what you created, I don't think you decreased the value one bit. A lot of people call a hack job "custom". A true custom car is done well with quality parts and good workmanship, which is what I see with your bus.
Any detailed shots of the interior?

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for interior shots Smile I'd love to see a couple detailed photos of how you handled the headliner. Thx in advance!
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
Collin1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

69 Triumph Trophy
Diesel Chevy Truck
Collin1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug,
The Spaceroof kit came with pieces of headliner material and some strips of PVC. ( The instructions said wood so I am sure they would have worked fine). The rips were 1" X 8'. There is a metal seam in the roof where the headliner goes along the sides of the back area. Hold a piece of headliner material along that. Hold it down with the strip of wood, then screw in place with sheet metal screws. When you fold the material up it hides the screws. Locktite spray adhesive holds the material to shee tmetal really well. The same was done at the top by rolling the canopy and the headliner material into one and screwing them into the angle. These screws are exposed. I'm am going to let professional interior guys sew in the back piece and do the headliner over the front section. That is all I have left to do.
69 Triumph Trophy
Diesel Chevy Truck
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thanks! My kit is almost here...departed the ship yesterday and is now on a truck. I went with the "cream" (vinyl) headlining and bought extra to do the front section of the headliner. Just hoping is all turns out well!
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collin1 wrote:
DougB - I'll be glad to send them to you. I don't know proper etiquette as far as posting other peoples documents. I can scan and send you a pdf or put them in the mail.

That probably constitutes copyright infringement. Best to ask the Spaceroof people. They put care and expertise into the design, and are not likely to be keen to just give it away or let it go to public domain. Or, they may not care -- I'd ask.

Collin1 wrote:
I'm not a mechanic so I took it to John Pierce here in San Antonio.

Ha. I know this is not the thread for complaining about mechanics, but he sure did not do me any favors in checking out a single cab that I bought from San Antonio. Maybe it was because, as I discovered later, the PO was a friend of his. He sent me out on the road with an engine that needed a complete top end rebuild, and even charged me for work that he didn't do. I did not even get out of town, and ended up towing the truck home. But -- water under the bridge...

If you want a top notch rebuild in SA, go to Jones' Autowerks. They mostly do expensive Porsches and even race cars, but will work in the occasional bus Type 4 engine. Turns out that the owners, Bill and Bob Jones, were the original owners of the 1975 SC pickup I bought. If I had known of them at the time, things would have turned out much differently.

That said, Pierce does seem to be well liked in the community...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=360734
I guess he was just doing his friend a favor and I, as a foreigner (non-Texan, although I had lived there 10 years) was the one to get screwed.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went ahead and asked Pete & Sam at Space Roofs for the instructions a while back and they sent them just days later. Roof should be here in a day or so.

Re: the bad experience you had with Pierce, you should post that in the related thread...could help others considering that shop.

I'll be sure to take some I boxing shots of the roof, and pics along the way.

- Doug Smile
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
Collin1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Clarification Reply with quote

I would use the same crew again.
The guys and product from Spaceroof were excellent, John Pierce built a great motor, and Cortez Paint & Body in San Antonio kicked butt. I'll see you Vee Dub Nut at a VOSA show soon. It was while jogging past a VOSA gathering at Brackenridge Park a couple years ago that I finally got motivated to get this resto going.
69 Triumph Trophy
Diesel Chevy Truck
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, just to post about my continuing odyssey with my Space Roof...so the container has arrived in the US and is en route to an inland port near my house. For anyone who might consider a Space Roof it's important to keep in mind the additional costs...on top of the cost of the actual roof (and the add-ons I purchased - windows on the sides of the tent, a headliner upgrade and additional headlining material to do the front section of the van's hard headliner) you'll be looking at a small list of shipping/transportation, port, warehouse and customs-related fees. To quote someone I met as part of this process: "everyone who touches your crate will assess some kind of fee". My total for these fees was an extra $730. :-/

Another interesting thing I noticed while on the Bus Depot site yesterday:

http://www.busdepot.com/j15284

That image of the color swatches is straight from the Space Roofs website, as are some of the words from the product description (though I don't remember that "Brazilian..." text). So perhaps BD is looking to become a domestic supplier of Space Roofs, which should shield people from having to deal with the import paperwork/process but will likely add cost over what you could pay by doing it yourself (e.g. though I'm not sure the BD product detail page corresponds to the same product I bought, I'm probably in for USD 4,200 total cost for my roof (remember, there are some extras involved with that cost), which is dramatically lower than the cost on the BD site (once again, not sure that's for the same product).

Many would say that it's too much to spend, or that cutting a hole in a perfectly good tin top is a waste and just to find another pop-top to restore instead. But I've done a crapload of work to this one...full gauge package, CS 2.0 with new Rancho tranny and CVs/axles, new shocks all around, second battery with inverter, Retrosound stereo, hitch and European-style Hella electrical socket, new tires including JK front spare carrier, and a new Manchester propane tank to go underneath soon. The original interior is imaculate. I no longer need to rely on this as a daily driver and can save the heavier vehicle for just camping...so for me it just didn't make sense to turn my sights to another vehicle (into which I would have sunk way more cash and for which there is no space on the driveway). $4,300 is cheaper than even a project Bay pop-top, it's cheaper than a used but driveable Vanagon Westy, and way cheaper than what Eurovan campers are still going for here in the US. And it's still a crying shame that we can't buy the T5/T6 California here, but that's another gripe Smile

Anyway, I'll post more info and pics as I go to pick up and unbox the crate...and I'll try to document the full extent of the work and install.

- Doug Smile
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
dugfresh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, to the question of testing the torsional strength of the Rivi/spacecraft cut bus. A possible good comparison might be to jack up one corner of a stock bus (like changing a tire) and see if the frond door geometry changes. I notice in mine that the door latch catches ever so slightly in that stance.

Or you could do this.

I haven't notice any change in the bus geometry once all 4 rubbers were safely back on the ground.
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another update on my saga: the Space Roof has arrived in the US, came and went from the container port in NJ but now apparently needs to undergo "detailed inspection" with Customs. No chance of getting it installed in time for our upcoming camping trip now, unfortunately. Not that I had really planned to do that, because I do want to take my time and do a proper job on the install.
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I just jacked up my OG '76 Westy camper, and put it on four stands for some work.
(Doesn't have any belly pans from the factory, BTW..)

Because the slab I work on isn't totally flat, one of the front jack-stands wasn't touching, and the bus was floating there.

The passenger door at this point would not shut correctly.
The gap was OK-ish, but the latch was mal-adjusted at this point.

Once the bus was back on it's wheels, it shut as normal.

So there's a test of the OG Westy body-shell setup - It ain't perfect either.

I'd find something else to worry about, if you can.. Wink
Very Happy

What’s That Noise?!?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: