Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

High clearance rear hitch options
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: High clearance rear hitch options Reply with quote

Doing a little research - I tend to have my mountain bikes with me when I go off road - and wanted to have decent clearance for my Kuat NV core on the Syncro. So far I've found a burley hitch that would work well - but I must say that the $395 + tax and s/h price is tough to swallow for a hitch..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Alternatively the go-westy bumper seems like an option as well - certainly not any cheaper but at the very least this will give me a lot of flexibility down the line when I want to add a spare tire carrier, tray and potentially a ladder

I really like the look of the Twin peaks bumpers - but based on these pictures - they seem to give up some clearance to the burley/gowesty options

Am i missing any other options?

Last edited by baltik on Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burley will have the highest clearance. I have the RMW bumlers and like them. Can you fab/weld? Hack up wrecking yard one and build your own?
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: High clearance rear hitch options Reply with quote

baltik wrote:
but I must say that the $395 + tax and s/h price is tough to swallow for a hitch..

Smile said the man who uses a $300/per/bike hitch rack

Any of those will get you a stout connection.

After making my own in-OEM-bumper receiver, I'm going/making the GoWest-like route. I have high hopes for the ladder/bike rack swingouts and leave the hitch for other uses. Plus I like the bike rack is always on there, it functions as a ladders w/o bikes, and that the platform or other accessories can be put on there.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the RMW Twinn Peaks bumpers and the rear bumper is why I bought them. My bike carrier sits
up so much higher than my GW hitch(not bumper) did. If you look you can see that if anything is going
to bash it, then probably it will be the exhaust and and metal covering it that takes the hit first.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you shop around, you will find that Burley's price really isn't that out of line at all.

As mentioned, you are using a top dollar bike carrier and I'd bet money that you aren't carrying KMart Huffy bikes on that rack.

Ante up, lay down the coin, buy once..... Buy smart.

Honestly, have you shopped other vehicle hitches? Not the one size fits all crap but a good Valley hitch or similar designed for a particular vehicle?
None of them are cheap!

I just put on a good hitch on my F150, if I recall that was well over $200 for a fairly simply hitch!
Burleys is much more complex and involves a lot more material and time to build.

Buy once, cry once.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly I don't weld but I've seen some amazing DIY bumpers racks on the samba, would love to support a homegrown effort.

I certainly didn't want this thread to devolve into a hitch pricing conversation. But I have high quality 2" hitches on all my vehicles and I paid $150 each on Amazon with 2 day prime shipped to my door. I realize these things vary in price and also realize that vanagons often carry a premium but at that price bracket I'd rather get the whole bumper..

Timwhy - the rack I am using is a tray style rack which provides better stability and easier loading but at the expense of clearance...
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could get the twin peaks and get a hitch riser...Strikes me the other hitches are a bit high for actual towing, so the twin peaks might be better for that, without requiring a larger drop gooseneck, meanwhile the bike rack that arguably induces less stresses than a trailer, would run on the riser. You can use shims to keep it tight so it doesn't wiggle. Adapters aren't all that cheap $40-100) either but let's you use what sounds like your preferred bumper.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rym
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for burley hitch here. Installation was a breeze. Though the paint finish is basic and surface rust is quick to show up; so make sure if you care to, ante up on the paint coats before install or eventually. I emphasize SURFACE rust as its a stout bumper and this surface rust would probably take at least a few years before becoming an issue depending on your location and usage..
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a fan of the big bumper FAD, so IF I wanted the top quality 2" hitch.....
Burley would be choice #1

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: