Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How many people are still on the stock engine?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the original 1986 WBX engine that is being "refreshed".

Miles driven total 108,000 ..... By me? ....... Zero.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottbott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

original 1.9DG,106745 miles,oil tight runs sweet as a nut on LPG
daroota
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stock 2.0 Air cooled. Not too sure of the KM's on it, but it's over 359,000kms. My Odometer stopped at 354,xxx but I fixed it when I bought it and rolled it back to 000,000 when I put it all together working on the new rebuild.

Had the engine rebuilt 5000km's ago, complete. and after 3800kms, had the Transmission rebuild. Just rolled 5000 last month.

Now it's in for a body job this month. Hopefully Collectors plates at the end of summer.
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my van for a year. 380,000+ miles on the van. A PO installed a 2.2L WBX rebuild that now has about 60K on it. I had to have the heads resealed.It's a little moody, but always gets a thumbs up from VW mechanics. I too would like more power to climb mountain passes, but a conversion would double the money I've spent, so I'll just gear down, rev up, go slow and enjoy the view.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 87 syncro has 240,000 on the OD. Considering the amount of rust on the engine parts, it's probably the original motor. It "runs", but there is some lifter noise. No leaks tho

I'm going to do a valve adjustment next week to attempt to quiet it down some, & just drive it...

I bought SurfyMurphy's dual carb'd 2.2 wbx that will be going in next summer. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old 84gl i resealed when i bought at around 150k, over 330k when i sold it, current 88 over 150k, excellent hot oil press, ran from mid 90's with synthetic oil, uses none & peppy enuf 4 me, my2cts, as usual no warranty offered at this time.
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
My 87 syncro has 240,000 on the OD. Considering the amount of rust on the engine parts, it's probably the original motor. It "runs", but there is some lifter noise. No leaks tho

I'm going to do a valve adjustment next week to attempt to quiet it down some, & just drive it...

I bought SurfyMurphy's dual carb'd 2.2 wbx that will be going in next summer. Cool
AT next oil add a pint of mmo, quieted mine, my2cts, as usual no warranty offered at this time.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

morymob wrote:
tjet wrote:

AT next oil add a pint of mmo, quieted mine, my2cts, as usual no warranty offered at this time.

Yeah I tried the MMO, followed by Lucas oil stabilizer. No difference. Sounds like waaay too much clearance at the rockers.
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the original WBX 186K km (116k miles). All original as far as I know. I did the Oxygen sensor last year, and someone did some belts at some point (left the spares inside). Oh, and some gasket rings, but almost the entire package is still there, so not sure who used what.

tam

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
Chuey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

90 Doka from Sweden. Original 2.1 WBX. Runs really well. I kept the GoWesty rebuilt from my old Vanagon but haven't needed to install it because the one in the Doka when I bought it runs very well. Two 3,000+ mile trips have cemented my approval.

Still, I would like better fuel mileage. If this crazy state (California) would be logical about things, I would put a Diesel Turbo engine in it.

Chuey
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.9l with 125000ish on the clock. 120 psi in all 4 cylinders, decent oil pressure. An ej22 is going in this summer and ill keep the 1.9 for whatever my next project may be. Id like to put it in a baywindow westy.
clift_d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our van is still on the same 1.6TD...

except the head has been completely replaced...

and the bottom end is a replacement...

plus all the hoses, plugs, gaskets, etc have all been renewed...

oh, and the injection pump is a rebuilt exchange.

I'm pretty certain the sump was on the van originally though.

Very Happy
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

most of my customers are still driving their stock engines
lucy's engine is now a 2.1 that had no history, we didn't even know if it's make oil pressure, a top end reseal, it's now got almost 40k on it since i did the reseal

i do have an EJ25 waiting for me to put it all together

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AceTaylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

91 Tin Top, 2.1 Automatic. Owned since new. 297,700 miles all original. Head seals at 40K by the dealer and again at 180k. Makes regular trips from PA to FL 4 times a year. On this last trip with OAT over 100 and oil temperature over 245 it still maintained 30 psi oil pressure at 70 mph.
madmax25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original stock 2.1 has 245,000 on it. Did a full top end rebuild (except pistons and jackets) in stages over a few years between 170k-200k.

I daily drive her for work, and just moved cross country in her. I honestly have no complaints about power, and I frequently haul a lot of tools/materials/camping gear. 18-20 mpg when I'm easy on the foot too, not bad for a carpenters van:)
Other than the constant shell game of faulty sensors, alternators and coolant parts that comes with any 25 year old beast, it's pretty much smooth sailing.

'88 Vanagon GL "Big Red"
'90 Westy
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

152,345 miles on my '86 Westy Weekender with the original 2.1. At first sign of a leak I pulled the engine and did the head gaskets at 108,000, also replaced clutch and transmission seal while it was out.

It is still running strong.
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

210,000 miles, 1990 2.1 WBX. Head reseal at 160k. Oil pressure buzzer is starting to go off intermittently, hope it's just the sensor but probably not Sad

-Rob
jfu057
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

169,000 miles on my 1.9 '84 Westy. Suffered an unfortunate slow coolant leak on a long trip that eventually lead to overheating while in a tunnel last year; cracking one of the heads. I'm still trying to figure the chances that I could have driven 1484 miles and so perfectly timed it to begin overheating just as I got into the tunnel on 95 in Baltimore...

All's well that ends well i guess. New head and reseal (along with tearing the engine apart and putting it back together...twice.) and it runs better than it has since I bought it.
Alex Proulx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stock 2.1. We bought the van in 2009 with 135k miles on the odo. The mechanic who did the inspection said the compression was "like new" but could not say for sure if it had been rebuilt in the past. Over the years I fixed a number of running issues mainly related the engine management systems but nothing engine mechanical. Today it has 163k miles on it and it's running like a champ. I feel it's got plenty of torque and power and it has a fuel economy better than advertised in the brochure 27 years ago. I live at sea level on relatively flat land so for me it's sufficient although I keep asking myself why they did not make all of them with a 5 speed gear box, 75 mph below 5k rpm would be nice. When this engine will need serious work I will get it rebuilt or maybe get a Vanistan or something similar but it will be a VW wbx. I like the sound, it's history and the fact that I can look in the Bentley to fix it.
Alex
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: