Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

It's turning over...now what?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
penthink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: It's turning over...now what? Reply with quote

Okay, I got my starter rebuilt and now she is turning over beautifully. Everything is all hooked up and it is all very pretty. Problem is, she doesn't want to start. So...what do I do next? I know that I am supposed to be hooking my dwell/tach meter up to the wire that runs from the coil to the rotor, but what am I looking for? Do I want the meter set on dwell, volts, or rpms? And what the hell am I looking for once I do know which of these to set it to?
Please speak slowly, because I am thick.

Thanks!
Rocknrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull the valve cover, see when top dead center happens on number 1... make sure the rotor is pointing at number 1 on the cap. If it is, crank it over with the plug out (Dizzy assembeled, wire on both the cap and plug...) and see if its sparking.

If you've got spark, and its relatively close to when its supposed to be... it should try to kick over.

If that doesnt work, grab some starting fluid... give it a quick squirt while someone is cranking it over.

If that doesnt work, and your plugs are wet with fuel... and it smells like gas in the exhaust... your getting fuel. If they are dry... see why the carb isnt squirting!

Follow whatever the guru's who with any luck will post shortly... tell you to do to get it running. I've maxed out what I can say about VW's without blowing smoke out my behind.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
penthink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocknrod wrote:
Pull the valve cover, see when top dead center happens on number 1... make sure the rotor is pointing at number 1 on the cap. If it is, crank it over with the plug out (Dizzy assembeled, wire on both the cap and plug...) and see if its sparking.

If you've got spark, and its relatively close to when its supposed to be... it should try to kick over.

If that doesnt work, grab some starting fluid... give it a quick squirt while someone is cranking it over.

If that doesnt work, and your plugs are wet with fuel... and it smells like gas in the exhaust... your getting fuel. If they are dry... see why the carb isnt squirting!

Follow whatever the guru's who with any luck will post shortly... tell you to do to get it running. I've maxed out what I can say about VW's without blowing smoke out my behind.

Heh heh. Thank you. I have a fuel injected engine. Does all the same info apply?
Rocknrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fire/fuel/air...

Yup, still works...

Dont know on a VW if the fuel injection is hooked to the dizzy though!

Sounds like ya gotta wait for the Guru's!

I swear, my new signature is going to have to be... "If I'm so full of sheet, how can I blow smoke out my behind!" Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: It's turning over...now what? Reply with quote

penthink wrote:
So...what do I do next? I know that I am supposed to be hooking my dwell/tach meter up to the wire that runs from the coil to the rotor, but what am I looking for? Do I want the meter set on dwell, volts, or rpms?!

Set it to dwell and hook it between terminal 1 on the coil and the body/engine ground. You are looking for a reading near 50 degrees as you crank the engine over. You also have to determine what the timing is because if it's too retarded the engine will never fire.

air/fuel/compression/spark is what you have to verify.

You can pull the spark plug wires from the distributor and watch the spark jump from the cap to the wire.
Duncwarw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you have points, set your tach/dwell to "dwell" and watch it while somebody else turns the key. The engine doesn't have to be running to set the dwell.

You should see a dwell reading somewhere between 44 and 50 degrees.
There are plenty of opinions on what the best number is, but this is what the Bentley says and will be good enough to get you going.

If you either get no reading at all or the reading is significantly outside this range, adjust the point gap. You can also do that while somebody cranks the engine. Just loosen the points hold-down screw a little and stick a screwdriver between the little parallel "posts" on the base plate and in the gap on the points and twist.

Then, like Rod says, check for spark. I like to use a Phillips (cross-tipped) screwdriver and put the ppinted end in the center of the spark plug boot whilst holding the handle end. Making sure you're connecting on the boot end, put the blade of the screwdriver near a metal bit on the engine and crank away. you should see a blue spark that can jump at least 1/4" or more.

If all that works and you still don't strt, look at your fuel system.

I hope that all made sense and is of some help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
penthink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I have the 50 degrees reading on my dwell meter. I have nice, gas-smelly spark plugs after turnover, and good strong spark jumping from my plugs to the engine block during my test.

My suspicion is that i have something effed up in the wires-to-plugs process, or perhaps I have done the unthinkable and have the rotor in wrong. Any guesses on why she still won't fire?
rsorak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rotor won't go on wrong, there's a flat spot on one side of the shaft or a notch I dont remember which a VW has. All an engine needs to try to start is the right amount of fuel (too much will flood it or too little and it wont start), spark at the right time, and compression. To adjust when the spark happens you set the timing or turn the distributor. If your plugs are wet with gas you're flooded. When was the last time this bus ran?
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well he just called me and the dizzy was 180* out. A quick wire change and it runs. He is timing it as I write this.

He is a happy camper (literally)!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
penthink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

And I don't give two sh*ts that my neighbors are walking by and staring at me as I stare at my beautifully running Westy and giggle gleefully.

She runs! She runs!

Thanks all!
velokid1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the feeling! Congratulations. Give yourself a beer. Or a soda, or whatever your thing is. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: