Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

fridge replacement projects - post here
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are planning to add (or already have) a decent sized auxiliary battery, especially AGM type, consider putting the $ into a hard-wired charger like an Iota. Then, when plugged in the battery will automatically be charged and kept topped up. I run my own rig this way, DC-only fridge but have a 40A charger wired in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
If you are planning to add (or already have) a decent sized auxiliary battery, especially AGM type, consider putting the $ into a hard-wired charger like an Iota. Then, when plugged in the battery will automatically be charged and kept topped up. I run my own rig this way, DC-only fridge but have a 40A charger wired in.

Yes, spend your money on something like this.

DLS-30/IQ4

http://www.iotaengineering.com/dls30.htm

That way you can also charge your house battery and power the DC fridge at the same time when plugged into 120V. BTDT, works great. Very Happy

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
captainkarl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
westyventures wrote:

Yes, spend your money on something like this.

DLS-30/IQ4

http://www.iotaengineering.com/dls30.htm

That way you can also charge your house battery and power the DC fridge at the same time when plugged into 120V. BTDT, works great. Very Happy

Cheers! Thanks guys!
LemonCove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing new here . . . . thanks to all who preceded me on this thread.

50 shades of grey interior . . . original laminate and vinyl trim, Stove plate, electrical box plates, Fridge trim, GoWesty laminate, floor, upholstery, carpet, curtains . . .

VitriFrigo CS51 AC/12V. Trim painted grey with Rustoleum, propane line replaced after removing Tee on regulator. Fridge wired to Blue Seas fuse box behind drivers seat (12V) and relocated (A/C) outlet. Will eventually add drawer beneath fridge like others have done.

Finished installation (except for future drawer):
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Complete install notes/photos:https://picasaweb.google.com/13VelosdeRemi/FridgeR...eplacement

Painting the trim:

New propane line:

Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Nice work Reply with quote

What exact color of Rustoleum paint did you use to match the grey trim?
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LemonCove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice work Reply with quote

Microbusdeluxe wrote:
What exact color of Rustoleum paint did you use to match the grey trim?

7786 Smoke Grey . . . got it at Lowe's
OhBetty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LemonCove wrote:
Nothing new here . . . . thanks to all who preceded me on this thread.

50 shades of grey interior . . . original laminate and vinyl trim, Stove plate, electrical box plates, Fridge trim, GoWesty laminate, floor, upholstery, carpet, curtains . . .

VitriFrigo CS51 AC/12V. Trim painted grey with Rustoleum, propane line replaced after removing Tee on regulator. Fridge wired to Blue Seas fuse box behind drivers seat (12V) and relocated (A/C) outlet. Will eventually add drawer beneath fridge like others have done.

Hey Lemon, are you able to share what the lighter shade of paint is that you used for the stove panel? Everything look's great!! Thanks for sharing!
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you'll add a grommet to the entry point in the floor for the propane line if you haven't already. Did you use any adhesion coat for the gray paint? I doubt regular enamel is going to stay adhered to bare plastic for long. Looks good otherwise!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some pics of my Isotherm 40 Cube install.

This fridge has several advantages over a truckfridge:

1) It fits the width and depth of the existing space perfectly. It mounts flush to the front of the westy cabinets. Nothing sticking out. I adapted a stock westy latch to mine so that it would look as stock as possible.

2) It doesn't have that little internal freezer to take up space. The usable space inside is huge compared to the stock dometic, and about equivalent to the TF49. There's room for three 2 liter milk/juice/water bottles in the front of the fridge. Even with those there, the rest of the fridge is about twice the usable space of the dometic (as measured by the number of tupperware containers I can fit in). The condensation tray and shelf at the bottom are unnecessary. I took them out to free up space.

3) The whole fridge can operate either as a fridge or as a freezer. When I'm in it on my own I use it as a fridge. When I go camping with friends I can use it to freeze ice bottles and everyone can have their own cooler. I'm a biologist, so having a freezer for samples on the road is a big plus for me.

4) You gain tons of storage space above and below. I put in a cutlery drawer (3.25 x 12 x 15.75) and a pantry below (5.75 x 18 x 15.75).

5) It uses less power than a truckfridge. Mine runs for days on a 65AH battery under the driver's seat, so you don't need to dedicate space for extra batteries.

The downside compared to a Truckfridge is that it costs more. Mine was $922 from Defender during their yearly warehouse sale. Best non-sale price is $1024 from isotherm-parts. But because you need less battery, that extra cost is offset. I put solar in as part of this install and when you consider the total cost, a couple hundred extra bucks for a fridge that fits properly is well worth it.

With the solar panels, the fridge doesn't even put a dent in the battery. Worry free cold. I'm loving this fridge!

A few more details in this thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=623163
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice workmanship! Very Happy

I agree about the freezer in the TF. The number of times we've enjoyed a Haagen Daz bar pulled from the freezer compartment pales in comparison to the extra space it would free up. Ice cubes, even tiny ones, for G&Ts is another story but a small cooler is a good cure for that ailment.

Again, very nice work. Congrats.
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the install but not big enough for my needs. I second the awesomeness of the TF65 freezer too.
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some shots of my refer project. First off thanks to Jay, thatvwbusguy, for answering all of my stupid questions.
Here's a shot of the refer install.

I used the recommended Rustoleum Smoke Grey paint #7786 and while it looks good, it is definitely darker than the interior grey. Maybe because I have a Euro spec Joker, or there was variation in the paint, but the particular rattle can I used is darker.

I went for a drawer above the refer. I used the Go Westy laminate for the new refer door panel, a great match.

I got edging from Gunzl. I ordered both kinds they offer. The wider one (17mm plate height) would have done a better job of covering the door edge, but is way too light in color. The narrower one (13 mm plate height) is perfect on color and only a bit too narrow. You only notice the exposed door (or drawer) edging when the door/drawer is open & you're looking straight down the edge.

As far as the refer itself goes. I ordered the Vitrifrigo for the European quality. Maybe the q.c. guys were out having an espresso when mine rolled down the line but not only is the handle rather flimsy, but one screw hole was completely stripped. That aside it does cool down nice. Only tested it pre solar panel, but got 3 days off the new aux battery.

Here's the original refer door getting reused as a closet door. I made a door for my '81 and liked having it open in this direction. It does mean you need to relocate the bottom hinge, but that's not too hard to do. If you do this use the old refer front as a template and be sure you hold back from the marked edge enough when drilling the corners with your 4" hole saw.

The door does double duty as the front table. A nifty mod that I shamelessly stole from another Sambanista. Feel free to do the same from me.
[/img]
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!

Last edited by Microbusdeluxe on Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
almo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question?

I want to put a switch on my TG-49. When during round town. And not on trips don't need fridge on.

How many amp switch is safe to run the power through? I have a nice little labels switch panel I would like to use but the switches are rated at 10amps. Would this be safe or should I use a relay?

Cheers

1986 2.1L Westy 2wd 4-spd Sold!!!!
1987 2.1L Westy syncro
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5Gt Wagon 5sp MT
almo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the info in the TF manual.

Says minimum of 15amp switch

Wink

1986 2.1L Westy 2wd 4-spd Sold!!!!
1987 2.1L Westy syncro
2005 Subaru legacy 2.5Gt Wagon 5sp MT
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's mine, it's not a replacement, but a full custom build, the fridge has separate freezer and fridge compartments. I built it on a sliding shelf, so it can be pulled out and then push back out of the way.

More pics of my build can be found here..

https://imgur.com/a/XWQWo
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@David...

what fridge do you have there and what size?

thanks
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
@David...

what fridge do you have there and what size?

thanks

It's a Whynter dual zone it's 62qts. I picked mine up from Amazon, here is a link to the model I have.

They have smaller ones, but this was the only one with dual zone. The cool thing is you can set both sides as fridge or freezer in any combination you want.

I personally love it, but the only draw back is the power plug goes into the right side toward the front. Due to the way I built my cabinets, the plug just barely clears and my first week with it, I accidentally knocked the plug out and had to toss everything inside because I didn't notice it for almost a full day. It's awesome to have ice cream on your trip or be able to freeze meats and so on while traveling.

Eventually I'm gonna get one of those Oven/top burner set ups for my van and I'll be able to cook just about anything I want after that. Like being in a home kitchen just smaller.
noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like we've been doing similar projects all spring Dav!D. Very Happy

Another really nice looking install, congrats! I thought long and hard about the National Luna dual zone, but it was out of my price range. I didn't know Whynter had one. Looks great!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noganav wrote:
Looks like we've been doing similar projects all spring Dav!D. Very Happy

Another really nice looking install, congrats! I thought long and hard about the National Luna dual zone, but it was out of my price range. I didn't know Whynter had one. Looks great!

Yea even the Whynter was more than I wanted to spend, but I really wanted a separate freezer which was usable and not one of those tin can things they put in most fridges.

As for the interior, thanks. It's not quite finished yet like most of the van.. lol However I plan to wrap it up when I head back to FL at the end of the year.
noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAV!D wrote:

Yea even the Whynter was more than I wanted to spend, but I really wanted a separate freezer which was usable and not one of those tin can things they put in most fridges.

I totally agree. Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Page 22 of 34

Jump to: