Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bug hearse build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slicing and Dicing, is always fun. Cant wait to see the box. Very Happy
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

been tied up, but got a couple things done. Needed an engine cover for the top of the engine

This is the inside - Used underhood insulation with hardware fabric over it to prevent the insulation from ever coming down and getting sucked in fan

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Top view

Rear shot of hearse box deck with engine cover, electronics and subwoofer. This visible portions will be mahongany veneer, but I just painted it all black for now.

This stuff is the haunted house stuff to play music, scary sounds and flash the interior lights. There are a pair of horns mounted under the deck and the box behind is the subwoofer for the thunder. Got a little more involved since I wanted it all controlled by a wireless remote. Oh - the hole under the power amp is a "tap" from my forced cool air system to provide foced venitiation into the hearse box. Between some heat from the engine and sunlight throug the windows, I wanted to make sure air was moving. This all gets hidden my the faux coffin.

"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates on this?

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunatley not - car is at my buddy the cabinet maker's shop and he hasnt had a whole lot of time. Hoping to get some work started in a week or so. We have got the roof rafters all cut. Project is not abandoned by any means - in fact, my wife is refusing to let me do much preliminary work on a couple future project cars to make sure I get it done. She made me pull the 67 pan I was working on up to my storage garage so I didnt get too involved in that project. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sixfootdan
Samba Smartass

Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like me to a tee. I have a wood stove insert to refurbish, couple old motorcycle projects, 2 bugs multiple bicycle projects, and my rpu cab to work on lol.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FINALLY getting some work done - been at the mercy of my cabinet maker buddy's schedule. The following was about a day and a half work. Spent quite a bit of time figuring out where we left off. The rafters are not that thick. We still have them bundled together since if I modify one, we need to change them all. (And we do need to modify them). There are about 10 rafter in those couple bundles.

Also, made a major change. No longer maintaining the beltline from the cab. Would make the windows way too short. Also, rear door for loading and unloading will be a single door hinged at one side instead of 2 doors.

We are making the bulk of the upper box in solid mahogany. There is a lot more that will be added once we finish roughing the basic cabinet, such as corner posts, onlays, trim, moldings, etc. And of course my brass carriage lamps.

andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update - No pics today. Have the basic box glued and screwed, rafters modified and finally nailed down the design of the rear of the roof. Have to finish cross bracing rafters and then Jeff will do his belt sander magic. Have to start on the rear door soon. Flipping back and forth between a single side opening door or 2 smaller doors.

Also working on concepts for corner posts right now. According to the wife, car needs "rose" details. Debating various "onlays" on simple posts or a more elaborate style post with the rose details being picked up in different areas. Already planning on faux etched glass with rose designs and that may be enough.

Decided on thin machined mahogany slats for the box ceiling instead of a sheet of mahogany. Once the roof structure is done, need to discuss the sheet metal skin with the sheet metal shop again to confirm that they can fabricate it as needed in a single panel.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving along. Should be getting sheet metal on roof next week or so.

Front view of box. This end goes against the cab.

Inside - vaulted ceiling will be covered in mahogany slats - probably an inch wide. Oh - have 4 18 ga. wires running through the rafters on each side, terminating in the corners and center of the rear panel. Have absolutely no need for them, but they are there and accessible if I ever do.

We make really expensive sawdust. Planed a mahogany 1x6 down to about 3/16" Went in without snapping. This arch is above the curved rear door, which is above the rear engine cover. Flat would have been a lot easier, but wouldnt have been as cool.

There's a lot more that will be happening, but want to mate the box with the rest of the car to sort out details....Maybe tomorrow. And by the way - this thing weighs maybe 70-80 lbs....if that. The glass will probably weigh more than the box....

On the car

Mockup of rear door with my buddy Jeff, the wood magician. Door will be about an inch taller. Forgot about the thickness of the deck when making the mockup, but you get the idea. Man, at the end of the day when I shake off my clothes, I feel like Pigpen from Peanuts....A cloud of dust. Laughing

gr8cobbler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really coming along nicely and will be a lot of fun. You'll be glad you invested the time in the cool features like the curved door. Very well done, it's going to be a real eye catcher.

Being a cheap old fart is just a front for my actual lack of money. Smile
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - its coming along. The thing that is a challenge with something like this is that the correct "look" is critical. Even though nobody has ever built what we are doing, things have to look "correct."

And something that I cant stress enough is getting things to the correct height when "eyeballing" it. A car on jackstands will look differen than at ride height and in our case, having the box on sawhorses, looks way different than on the car.

I hate to say that we spent the better part of the day mocking up the wooden arches that the fenders attach to. But we did. We knew the basic dimensions, but had to nail down the side profile and we went back and forth on different profiles. We finally got a good shape and even mocked it up with the fender against a sheet of plywood. Looked awesome.....Put it on the car....Looked wrong...Jeff and I stared at it for about 10 minutes - he says - "know what it needs?" I say, "yeah, thinned about 5/8"". He says "Was thinking more like 1/2"... We reshaped it - and even sprayed it with color to mask the wood grain. Was PERFECT! Cool

The whole point is that when you are doing something - take the time to REALLY look at it from different angles. Its the details that make the difference.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent the day hand sanding the outside corner trim for my windows and the slats for the ceiling. Then stained them a nice rich dark red mahogany. Holy shit we made a lot of parts. Shocked

Got the rear fender arches glued up. Using 3 layers of mahogany with 3 pieces to form each arch. Total of 9 pieces of wood for each arch. Joints are staggered for strength. Pretty much used every clamp in Jeff's shop.

Taking the box to the sheet metal shop early next week to have the metal roof bent and fitted.

The plan is to then glue the metal down, and totally finish the inside of the box. Then mate it to the car and finish the rest of the exterior woodwork while the cab goes out for final body and paint. Once the cab is done, the rest of the car goes for final body/paint.

No more work until late next week and even then it depends on how fast the steet metal shop is.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Project on hold for a litle bit. Bought a new shop a couple months ago and have been working fast and furious on the renovations. Wrapping that up now, but have a project doing for a friend before I can get back to the hearse.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to post these from a couple months ago. Something that you only really see from dead on the front (pun intended) is that the creases in the box roof line up with the creases on the bug cab roof. Not sure it was worth the effort since that is the only way that you really notice it, but I felt it was an important detail. Have to finesse the edges of the rafters so that the metal lays better, but it came out pretty well.

SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all the little details that make one vehicle stand out from the others. Cool

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
It's all the little details that make one vehicle stand out from the others. Cool

Yeah - I agree.
Rust2Rods
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subscribed.... Nice work. Keep it up!
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
Volkswagenaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Bug hearse build Reply with quote

This is cool! Any updates?

F I S H E R W E R K E
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug hearse build Reply with quote

Nothing happening for at least a couple more weeks. Bought a new shop and have been busy with other folks cars until this week and now I am giving our 4 bugs some needed attention before parking them for the winter. But my cabinetmaker buddy is starting to get freed up as is the shop that is doing the final body and paint on the cab. Then should make some headway over the next couple months.

I was gonna totally backburner this till next year and put together the 66 bug with the Suby conversion, but my wife had other plans for me....The hearse is her car and she wants it finished LOL.
foamermetal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug hearse build Reply with quote

Could you post some more info on the early ford caps on the baja wheels?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: