Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Adding a second battery..how to...with photos FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BusPriest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you WT! That clears up a lot.

Ok a drew a diagram... Or tried to at least. I am not sure how the relay for the batteries is set up, but the instructions handle that, as I understand.
Does everything look alright here?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Not a Priest.
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a number of problems with the diagram posted.

The alternator output goes to a post on the engine starter. Then from there, the current flows "back" to the starter battery and "forward" to the main fuse box in the front. This fuse box is where your headlights, wipers, dome lights, etc etc. get their power from. I wouldn't mess with it.

Edit: I misunderstood maybe your "green wire". I think you meant the blue wire (alternator sense wire). This would be correct if you are using a simple relay. If you are using an ACR, you don't need it.

If you want to run the radio and interior lights off the coach battery that is perhaps a worthwhile switch to make, but I wouldn't switch the entire front fuse box over if I where you. Headlights, ignition, wipers, etc should stay on the main, start battery. Beware of too much "hacking". Minimal modification from stock will make future troubleshooting and repair much much easier.
72camper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JQ1492 wrote:

1) I have an Edgestar 630 high efficiency fridge. Can I run it off the 2nd battery indefinitely while I am driving, since the batteries are being recharged as I drive?

aeromech wrote:

I think so. The way it SHOULD work is that when parked, the batteries are separated. You can wire the fridge to run off the house battery. When you start the engine and voltage increases about 13 volts, that should cause the ACR to close and connect both batteries to the bus charging system (alternator). In transit, the aux battery feeds the fridge but is also being charged at the same time by your engine.

I was about to pose this question myself after reading this thread. I wouldn't be necessarily looking to run a fridge of that capacity, but more of one of your $80-100 dorm fridge. Other than that and probably an electric blanket or two, I wouldn't be running a lot of electrical items. The set up in the original post would suit me well for this? The most I'd probably stay at one spot without driving off somewhere else would be 2 days.

Thanks for all the advice and help.
BusPriest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhirledTraveller wrote:
There are a number of problems with the diagram posted.

The alternator output goes to a post on the engine starter. Then from there, the current flows "back" to the starter battery and "forward" to the main fuse box in the front. This fuse box is where your headlights, wipers, dome lights, etc etc. get their power from. I wouldn't mess with it.

Edit: I misunderstood maybe your "green wire". I think you meant the blue wire (alternator sense wire). This would be correct if you are using a simple relay. If you are using an ACR, you don't need it.

If you want to run the radio and interior lights off the coach battery that is perhaps a worthwhile switch to make, but I wouldn't switch the entire front fuse box over if I where you. Headlights, ignition, wipers, etc should stay on the main, start battery. Beware of too much "hacking". Minimal modification from stock will make future troubleshooting and repair much much easier.

Wt,

Thanks for your help. Green wire is suppose to be for simple relay. I agree on your point on too much hacking. Thanks!!
Not a Priest.
The Quaint Gypsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Part list? Reply with quote

I am sorry if reviving a dead post.. and sorry again if I missed this, but is there a complete list of what to get to install a second battery and what it needed to then set it up to run 110 volts items? I get lost in all the posts....

thanks kindly in advance =])
BusPriest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/split-charging.html

This is great reading and really helped my understanding of this thread. You can see by my above posts my confusion on things. Haha
Not a Priest.
LivinInnaVWBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just spoke with Scott@German Supply, he said it's not lucrative enough for him to make these at this time as they are so labor intensive. He is searching for a company to make them and taking names for a waiting list but from the sounds of it, I'm guessing it will be NLA. Even with this being the case, he was unwilling to share with me the wiring diagram because of intellectual property although he did tell me it reflects the original Westy wiring and I might be able to find a scanned copy of that or the GS diagram on the net, also that it uses a standard relay... which I've got some NOS Bosch relays hanging around. This seems like a very simple product to make, does anyone have the Germany Supply or original Westy wiring diagram for these? With the photos in this post, I'm sure I could figure it out, but a printed diagram would be ideal.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LivinInnaVWBus wrote:
I just spoke with Scott@German Supply, he said it's not lucrative enough for him to make these at this time as they are so labor intensive. He is searching for a company to make them and taking names for a waiting list but from the sounds of it, I'm guessing it will be NLA. Even with this being the case, he was unwilling to share with me the wiring diagram because of intellectual property although he did tell me it reflects the original Westy wiring and I might be able to find a scanned copy of that or the GS diagram on the net, also that it uses a standard relay... which I've got some NOS Bosch relays hanging around. This seems like a very simple product to make, does anyone have the Germany Supply or original Westy wiring diagram for these? With the photos in this post, I'm sure I could figure it out, but a printed diagram would be ideal.

Got a link?
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Part list? Reply with quote

The Quaint Gypsy wrote:
I am sorry if reviving a dead post.. and sorry again if I missed this, but is there a complete list of what to get to install a second battery and what it needed to then set it up to run 110 volts items? I get lost in all the posts....

thanks kindly in advance =])

Go back and read the first three lines on the first page . That's why I took all the photos and did this thread .
then plug in an inverter to run LIMITED 110 volts

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
LivinInnaVWBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:

Got a link?

http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/product.php?productid=16766
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Website says out of stock. That seems to be happening a lot with German Supply. Any other sources?
LivinInnaVWBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregg in the 603 wrote:
Website says out of stock. That seems to be happening a lot with German Supply. Any other sources?

LivinInnaVWBus wrote:
I just spoke with Scott@German Supply, he said it's not lucrative enough for him to make these at this time as they are so labor intensive. He is searching for a company to make them and taking names for a waiting list but from the sounds of it, I'm guessing it will be NLA.

If I can get a wiring diagram for it, I'll likely make a few out of high temp, high gauge cloth covered wiring with NOS German Bosch relays.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
LivinInnaVWBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellentttttttt! Thank you Sir!
I'll get supplies on order.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be inclined to use something like this for connecting batteries together, rather than a Bosch cube relay.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BusPriest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this off amazon the other day
PAC-80 80-Amp Relay Battery Isolator https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EAWS6O/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_k.BWvbC6V8RX4
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EAWS6O/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_k.BWvbC6V8RX4

Instructions say to link two batteries together on main terminals. 12v constant on small and ground on other small. Going to use 4 gauge wire and add 2 audio fused, one between each battery and post. Hopefully this is the correct way?
Not a Priest.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is insulated.
http://www.colehersee.com/home/item/cat/169/24117/

Tcash
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BusPriest wrote:
I got this off amazon the other day

PAC-80 80-Amp Relay Battery Isolator

That should do it.

Quote:
Instructions say to link two batteries together on main terminals. 12v constant on small and ground on other small. Going to use 4 gauge wire and add 2 audio fuses, one between each battery and post. Hopefully this is the correct way?

Should be fine. Not sure you need two fuses - one on the aux battery should do it.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BusPriest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should fuse panels be fused? I realize that sounds redundant.... That's why I ask.
Not a Priest.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BusPriest wrote:
Should fuse panels be fused? I realize that sounds redundant.... That's why I ask.

To protect the cable to the fuse panel you could use a maxi fuse or a circuit breaker. Install it as close to the battery as possible.

These are pretty neat. They hook right up to the battery.
https://www.bluesea.com/products/category/16/72/Fuse_Blocks/Terminal_Fuse_Blocks

Good luck
Tcash
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: