Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

NOS shock absorber with no damping on compression..?
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:13 am    Post subject: NOS shock absorber with no damping on compression..? Reply with quote

I have a set of NOS Boge front shock inserts for 412 stored since the '80s (yes I know the seals are probably gone due to time).
When I check them there is wery good damping on extension but almost no damping on compression.
Is this due to it being designed that way or only due to gone seals?

Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly.....I would say, that is the seals.

Typically you should feel slightly less resistance on the rebound or extension stroke....because the stock valving was a little in that respect.....however you should have fairly stiff resistance in both directions.
This is the sad thing with NOS struts and shocks.

The only exception...is in the case of NOS factory wet strut cartridges. If you find a set that have no leakage and have the original oil charge in them.....there is only one seal that is rubber and its at the top of the tube and can be replaced. Those last forever on the shelf as long as they are sealed so they don rust and have all of the oil. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ray!
Thats what I feared but good to get it confirmed.

Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lars S wrote:
Thanks Ray!
Thats what I feared but good to get it confirmed.

Lars S

I know exactly which ones you have. The Boge strut cartridges were many times...the most expensive....and the nicest riding...basic replacement shock.

Oddly....I also found them to have the worst shelf life. I bought at two sets of them over time. The first set was known to have been on the shelf for right at four years from the invoice date. They were 1989 cartridges and I bought them in 1993. They lasted about 25-30k miles over less than a year when...the compression stroke failed exactly as yours have.

The second set...I bought from the same parts house in 1995. They were the same age...1988 invoice. the shop owner gave them to me for about $5 above cost (I got them for about $20 each)...his point being that they were old enough to be off the books and he had seen enough other rubber parts, shocks etc....not just Boge products...but also Boge products....that fail from shelf age.
We both knew it was a crapshoot. They lasted right at 3 months. Again, compression stroke failure...and top shaft seal failure. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: