Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front torsion bars dust cover?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Front torsion bars dust cover? Reply with quote

Where can I buy the dust covers that go on the outside of the arms that cover circular area where the bars slide into. The new arms I got didnt come with them..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off your old arms.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it #2?
thanks to jerseylooker

http://www.jerseylooker.com/FicheDump/EarlyBaywindow/EarlyBay-Main.html

http://www.busdepot.com/211405129a

Good Luck
Tcash
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that part #33 N116041 was probably NLA 30 years ago. Off an old one is the only way. Maybe get a hold of folks who rebuild them and they can pull them off no good cores.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe something in the way of a freeze plug from you FLAPS.
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do these actually have a function? its not like dust can get into the arm from the outside AFAICT. Looks pretty solid to me.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771024&highlight=
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are not actually dust covers; they are bushing clamps and usually come with urethane bushing sway kits.
http://www.bus-boys.com/bbswaybr.htm
http://www.socalautoparts.com/product_info.php/aftermarket-sway-bar-clamp-kit-bus-stock-p-16863
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D211%2D498%2D101%2DA2
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we all talking about the same part? The part some of us believe he is describing is the small round cover that pops into the arm in this position. It is a dust cap and it is NLA. They should have been installed in the replacement arms. If it is that part send them back on their dime and ask for a set that is complete.

khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Are we all talking about the same part? The part some of us believe he is describing is the small round cover that pops into the arm in this position. It is a dust cap and it is NLA. They should have been installed in the replacement arms. If it is that part send them back on their dime and ask for a set that is complete.

Yes sorry I was late on this post.. But that IS the piece I am talking about. I got new arms and only one of them had that piece. I assume the others were lost in whatever cleaning system they have to clean them and they didnt bother to replace it.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call your supplier and see if they have any spared laying around. As I already posted you might be able to get a freeze plug that will work from your FLAPS.
Bannedwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Trailing arm dust cover removal Reply with quote

How are these dust caps removed?
I have the end of a torsion ?bar? broken off inside my trailing arm and need to get it out. I see that removing the cap will give me access to the broken piece but I'm not sure how to remove the cap. Can't find how to in my Bentley either. The arm is out of the beam so I can get a long bar or pipe and hammer it out unless it'll be damaged. Thanks
66 type 1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailing arm dust cover removal Reply with quote

Bannedwagen wrote:
The arm is out of the beam so I can get a long bar or pipe and hammer it out unless it'll be damaged. Thanks

That's what I'd do. Tap it gently from the inside to see if it will pop off from the outside.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LivinInnaVWBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.vintagev-dubs.com/shop/leaf-spring-control-arm-caps-56-79-bus/

I just got a set along with their HD grub screws and genuine VWOB torsion leafs.
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Gonna order some asap, ill have to get new screws too.
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Front torsion bars dust cover? Reply with quote

SO.. I am going to bump my old thread as I ended up not ordering these. I attempted to place my old caps back on but after smashing my finger with a hammer doing this I gave up. I went off roading this last weekend and went through a lot of snow and mud. There is now a lot of dirt and mud in and around these ares with no covers.. so the inside of the arms are exposed and dirty. How bad is this? Best way to clean it?[/code]

1970 Bus Westfalia
1964 Kombi
BayAllTheWay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Front torsion bars dust cover? Reply with quote

a) I bet you bought them at Vintage Vdubs, as mine came from them with these removed. Thanks! Regardless, I asked them after 17 phone calls to try to get a hold of someone what was the deal, and finally he agreed to send me the little bolt-on covers pictured above.

b) They are half baked, complete sh*t and don't keep anything except, perhaps, marble sized rockes from getting in there.

Unfortunately I wasn't concerned about rock marbles getting in there, but grime and grit and other such sh*t.

</rant> dont' order from Vdubs if you did, and don't order those things if you're thinking about it. Find some original ones; maybe Nate at Wagenswest can hook you up.

Good luck,
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Front torsion bars dust cover? Reply with quote

BayAllTheWay wrote:
a) I bet you bought them at Vintage Vdubs, as mine came from them with these removed. Thanks! Regardless, I asked them after 17 phone calls to try to get a hold of someone what was the deal, and finally he agreed to send me the little bolt-on covers pictured above.

b) They are half baked, complete sh*t and don't keep anything except, perhaps, marble sized rockes from getting in there.

Unfortunately I wasn't concerned about rock marbles getting in there, but grime and grit and other such sh*t.

</rant> dont' order from Vdubs if you did, and don't order those things if you're thinking about it. Find some original ones; maybe Nate at Wagenswest can hook you up.

Good luck,

Thanks for the tip I will not order them then.. I have the OG ones but I cant get them to fit in the new arms..

1970 Bus Westfalia
1964 Kombi
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Front torsion bars dust cover? Reply with quote

Some RTV silicone should work well enough.

I don't think much of the plastic caps that have a tab sitting under the lock nut. Having the lock nut come loose because the plastic fails, followed by the grub screw backing out, could ruin anyone's day.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Front torsion bars dust cover? Reply with quote

I agree, a smear of RTV or JB weld would seal it up better with no risk of the bolt coming loose.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Front torsion bars dust cover? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
I agree, a smear of RTV or JB weld would seal it up better with no risk of the bolt coming loose.

and what Mike said

X3
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: