Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type IV (4) Engine Tin installation
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
barefootwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject: Type IV (4) Engine Tin installation Reply with quote

Does anyone know the sequence of order for the engine tins on a '73? Removed mine to paint and didnt take notes, ugh. I think the cylinder covers go back in first.

1973 Westfalia
"Getting better....one repair at a time."

Other VW's owned through the years, in no particular order:
'67 Beetle,
'67 Ghia Hardtop,
'72 Ghia Convertible,
'72 Westfalia
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Tin installation order Reply with quote

barefootwestie wrote:
Does anyone know the sequence of order for the engine tins on a '73? Removed mine to paint and didnt take notes, ugh. I think the cylinder covers go back in first.

When all else fails, go to Ratwell:
http://www.ratwell.com/dotmac/Sites/Type4/PhotoAlbum81.html

Start here about 2/3rds of the way down the page and go from there. Hope this helps! Let us know how it turns out!!! Cool
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Tin installation order Reply with quote

barefootwestie wrote:

The left rear tin needs to go on before the fan shroud, IIRC and then the other fore and aft tins go on after the shroud but before the two large cylinder tins. The under cylinder tins need to go on prior to inserting the pushrods and tubes.

The rear support bar goes on before the heat exchangers.
barefootwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I searched throughh the index but must have overlooked it.

1973 Westfalia
"Getting better....one repair at a time."

Other VW's owned through the years, in no particular order:
'67 Beetle,
'67 Ghia Hardtop,
'72 Ghia Convertible,
'72 Westfalia
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type 4 engine tin search
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search..._chars=200

Good Luck
Tcash
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: Type IV (4) engine tin installation Reply with quote

To link to this post
Code:
[url=http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7758607#7758607]Type IV (4) engine tin installation[/url]

Please do not take the fan apart. You would need to realign and balance it.

Link

Complete series playlist Part 1-6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB4soH8Wolk&list=PL5l9C9G7d1xnQvVwQeFtSE7DZuJfF_sOJ

Last edited by Tcash on Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:32 am; edited 6 times in total
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That video series needs to be a Sticky! Especially the one about the lower tin over the thermostat.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: awesome powdercoat type IV (4) engine tin installation Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
awesome powdercoat type iv engine tin install part 1

OMG don't take the fan apart. I did that and it took Mark (BusDaddy) close to a year to get it balanced again. They get terrible run out in them unless they go on a lathe and are adjusted a tiny bit at a time. REALLY
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: awesome powdercoat type IV (4) engine tin installation Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Tcash wrote:

OMG don't take the fan apart. I did that and it took Mark (BusDaddy) close to a year to get it balanced again. They get terrible run out in them unless they go on a lathe and are adjusted a tiny bit at a time. REALLY

Really? Wow I was literally days away from taking mine apart to paint it. One of the last pieces left. Won't be doing that now. Thanks for the heads up
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1967250s wrote:
That video series needs to be a Sticky! Especially the one about the lower tin over the thermostat.

Youtube Videos

Tcash
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: awesome powdercoat type IV (4) engine tin installation Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
OMG don't take the fan apart.

Link

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
a-marshal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
1967250s wrote:

Youtube Videos

Tcash

Wow... that is an impressive list ... why didn't I see that before?
Not only should it be a sticky but it should be the first stidky..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: awesome powdercoat type IV (4) engine tin installation Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

What if you marked exactly the position of the fan relative to the pulley, and each nut and bolt? Would it preserve its balance?

And, I wonder how much influence on throwing off the balance from paint or powdercoat?

I suppose it is not worth the risk. It's not like this demands fresh paint.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: awesome powdercoat type IV (4) engine tin installation Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
SGKent wrote:

What if you marked exactly the position of the fan relative to the pulley, and each nut and bolt? Would it preserve its balance?

And, I wonder how much influence on throwing off the balance from paint or powdercoat?

It's less about the balance and more about the pulley running true, it's very challenging to get the ring positioned, just aligning the outer ring with the edge of the fan doesn't do it.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: awesome powdercoat type IV (4) engine tin installation Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
SGKent wrote:

NO.....On these fans....the balance as SGKent noted...is delicate. Not only do the main parts have to be put back together correctly....but each bolt and washer needs to go back in the same place it came from...and in the same exact position it was in.

There is a small amount of slack in the bolt holes and washers. It makes just enough of an alignment issue that even though the actual balance may not be off when you get it back together....it can run rough. They parts were assembled with schnoor type lock washers and balanced as a complete assembly.

If the fan is really crappy....you need to score around each washer, make some assembly scribe lines....and put the parts in a dedicated numbered holder so you can reassemble it. Its a lot of work.

A year or so ago...I bought a spare fan from someone in the classifieds....this person crammed it into a box that was not correctly sized and disassembled it to make it fit Rolling Eyes ....and didnt get it when I told him it was now useless without considerable work and some expense. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's some crazy mechanical info you all know. I will keep saying this. The information I learn from you guys on what not to do has saved me more then once. I wasn't planing on doing that. But I now know, not to do it. So big thanks to all those above, Aeromech, Colin, and more.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV (4) Engine Tin installation Reply with quote

Any tips on painting the pulley while the fan is attached?
(sold - but not forgotten)
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: awesome powdercoat type IV (4) engine tin installation Reply with quote

First off, thanks for posting the awesome powder coat videos! They should help me immensely.

SGKent wrote:
Tcash wrote:

Sgkent, when you say, "don't take the fan apart" are you saying not to remove it at all? Or are you saying not to remove the fan pulley from the fan?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: awesome powdercoat type IV (4) engine tin installation Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
First off, thanks for posting the awesome powder coat videos! They should help me immensely.

SGKent wrote:
Tcash wrote:

Sgkent, when you say, "don't take the fan apart" are you saying not to remove it at all? Or are you saying not to remove the fan pulley from the fan?

Do NOT remove the black steel alternator belt pulley from the cast aluminum section with the fins.

That being said....after recently going through my stack of spare fans....I have found at least three that....you would swear looking at them that they have "probably" never been apart...so they "should" be straight and true..........but after measuring I found that its painfully obvious that whoever the previous owner was....either took them apart or diddled with them.

Also...if they are dropped hard enough it can move the pulley ring. If they get corroded enough between the pulley and fin section...they can get loose.

This thread below may help to understand a little about what is entailed to get one straight. This is just one way to do it. While a lathe can help make it simpler...its not necessary at all...and it just does not take that long.....but it IS tedious.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8681745#8681745

You can use some of the information in that thread...to at least measure yours to see what condition its in....while its mounted to the crank. Ray
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Type IV (4) Engine Tin installation Reply with quote

Thanks but I'd rather be safe and not take my chances, my skill level is limited and even just removing all the tin ware is intimidating.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: