Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

PDXers: Camping Help?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: PDXers: Camping Help? Reply with quote

I'm coming up to OR for the Portland XTERRA race in couple of weeks. It is at Hagg Lake, near Gaston.

What are the nearest camping options? Supposedly a campground was supposed to open at the lake this summer, but I can't find evidence that it's true. My armchair travel hasn't found much. I've been to OR many times, but never that area.

Any help?

Thanks

Last edited by vegpedlr on Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.flying-m-ranch.com/
neat place, not too far away. Depends on if you wish to boondock it or not, lots of places in the coast range not too far from Haag Lake.

http://traveloregon.com/places-to-stay/

and, last but not least, the one that is so packed full of info, I always get lost Very Happy
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/waters/links.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of any camping in that area except finding a dirt road to drive up as Jeffery suggests. It's too close to the town of Forrest Grove to be wilderness. You could stay at the awesome McMenamins Grand Lodge which is in Forest Grove. You could probably sleep in the parking lot there and no one would notice.

http://www.mcmenamins.com/GrandLodge

This place did show up on google maps: https://goo.gl/maps/8PzRy

Stub Stewart State Park is close: https://goo.gl/maps/gY043

From the Hagg Lake website:

Please note - Hagg Lake is a day use facility only / sun-up to sun-down / no overnight camping.

The closest campgrounds to Hagg Lake are:

Stub Stewart State Park 1-800-452-5687

Gales Creek Campground 503-357-2191

Reehers Camp 503-357-2191

Good Luck!
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

Don't how I missed Gales Creek which looks good. Guess I was looking in the direction I'll be headed after the race, north and east into the Cascades.

Boon docking is a possibility. I don't have a detailed map yet, any advice?

Thanks again
Jahbah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooh boondockin ya say huh?

Well I'm your man there bud.

If your not looking to drive to far look up scoggins creek rd. It cuts away from the hagg lake on the north west side. It's dirt right away. Up two or so miles there's a great old boondockin site right before you find the forestry gate.

If your looking for more sites just shoot me a PM.
Jahbah~D
Jahbah~D
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jahbah wrote:
Ooooh boondockin ya say huh?

Well I'm your man there bud.

If your not looking to drive to far look up scoggins creek rd. It cuts away from the hagg lake on the north west side. It's dirt right away. Up two or so miles there's a great old boondockin site right before you find the forestry gate.

If your looking for more sites just shoot me a PM.
Jahbah~D

Thanks! That's exactly the info I'm looking for. I knew a PDXer would come through! I don't want to spend much time in that area except for the race, so nearby boon docking is ideal. Hopefully the PDX gang will have something going on that weekend that I can crash?
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should get the Oregon Experience by staying at Stub Stewart State Memorial Clearcut
merlinofkatuah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i were u i would go by umpqua hot springs to camp. its in umpqua national forest along the north umpqua river. along i-5 at roseburg, u would go east on 138. its not that far into the forest. its also known as toketee hot springs. 7 pools overlooking the river, each one slightly a cooler temp than the last; if the first one is too hot then slip into the next. last time i was there, i think about 5 years ago, it was like 5bux for the official camping spot. might be a smidgen outta your way but for the beauty and scenery, totally worth it. have fun.

I wish you Joy, Abundance, & Bliss!
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merlinofkatuah wrote:
if i were u i would go by umpqua hot springs to camp. its in umpqua national forest along the north umpqua river. along i-5 at roseburg, u would go east on 138. its not that far into the forest. its also known as toketee hot springs. 7 pools overlooking the river, each one slightly a cooler temp than the last; if the first one is too hot then slip into the next. last time i was there, i think about 5 years ago, it was like 5bux for the official camping spot. might be a smidgen outta your way but for the beauty and scenery, totally worth it. have fun.

Thanks for the tip. The North Umpqua Rivert Trail is on my to-do list, so I will definitely be stopping in that area. I was just at a loss for camping near my race venue at Hagg Lake, but the PDXers came through as I knew they would.
mrshrimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umpqua hot springs is a mixed bag. I was there for second time in May and was really turned off: Multiple permanent camp sites, lots of trash, drunk skitzo guy yelling at day picnickers. It really seemed like more of a party spot than relaxing hot spring. Not to say it doesnt have its moments Im sure, but just be prepared. I think it was a Tuesday when we were there.
Jahbah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrshrimp wrote:
Umpqua hot springs is a mixed bag. I was there for second time in May and was really turned off: Multiple permanent camp sites, lots of trash, drunk skitzo guy yelling at day picnickers. It really seemed like more of a party spot than relaxing hot spring. Not to say it doesnt have its moments Im sure, but just be prepared. I think it was a Tuesday when we were there.

Wait a minute... Mid May? On a Tuesday? Guy wearing nothing but a tee shirt pulled on like boxer shorts and a rope as a belt? That was me I just don't like picnickers! Laughing
Your right sadly our hot springs bring out the worst in some people. It's also 41/2 hrs from hagg lake.... On another note capt. Visqueen has transplanted!
Anyway. Enjoy the xterra triathlon vegpedlr it's a nice spot.
Cheers!
Jahbah~D
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dampcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, you can "free camp" in most National Forests up here, you may have to pay if you stay in an improved facility. Probably not allowed to have a camp fire this summer unless you have a real fire ring though.
Tillamook State Forest information including campgrounds:
http://www.rockawaybeach.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Tillamook-Forest-PDF.pdf
Also a very nice drive with some campsites is the Nestucca Bywayhttp://www.blm.gov/or/resources/recreation/site_info.php?siteid=238 , it's a little past the Flying M Ranch - which is a fine place. The Byway goes through the Coast Range if you want to go to the Coast (Highway 101).
Enjoy your visit!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: