Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Single Cab Bed Metal
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Touch Nicks Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:54 am    Post subject: Single Cab Bed Metal Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a supplier for bed metal beside wolfsburg west, they want 600 for the entire bed and I thought that was a little steep. I just bought a 66 for a really good price and it needs some work from the cab back. The cab itself is in great shape, just missing some glass and the lights.

I might just use tin if I can't find the correct metal cheap enough.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks, NIck Groth
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nobrakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$600.00 is not all that bad but I think there out of stock, at least they were last time I looked. I just went through this but I had metal already, spent days and days straightning and smoothing, the 6 bills would have been money well spent.
Touch Nicks Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seems expensive to me, that is quite a bit more then I paid for the entire truck and it is not going to be a perfect resto, just a nice truck for me to take with me to college next year and act as my work truck/dune buggy tow vehicle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
meinvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe check with bryanm in Charlotte NC, he had a rear section of a truck for sale awhile back, not sure if he sold it or not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
meinvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and I know it is not correct, but you can cut and fit the cargo floor sections from a bus as well, not correct but the seat mounting slots can be used for tie downs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nobrakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a single cab with a wood bed and stainless steel strips dividing the wood planks, guy who did it did a really nice job and it looked very nice.
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, what's under all those leaves?

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
Touch Nicks Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The motor, not sure if it is orignal or not. I haven't been able to bring it home yet because I have no where to keep it. i am looking for a place to rent but so far no luck.
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nobrakes wrote:
I saw a single cab with a wood bed and stainless steel strips dividing the wood planks, guy who did it did a really nice job and it looked very nice.

i think handmade might be the cheapest way to fix your floor...

kinda like the cheap repro rear floor i have on my bus.

anything flat would do
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ISP are the people that had it made
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ROADKILL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could also try metwiz or a local tin smith.
Metalwizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOW you know why you got it at a good price, I don't do bed floors, too big a project for me , kinda like one pc stamped center belly pans, ain't gonna happen here. To much time and pain in the ass+ i just flat don't have anything big enuff to form either and make it look rite. $600 is a damn good price. Steel has doubled in the last 5 months, you gotta have the rite press plus dies plus dealing with the warpage of the metal. Your talking big bucks, plus your time reasearching this shit out and making it work. Its not all a beater bag and english wheel like on the chopper shows. To put it blunt, if it was easy and super cost efficent, every monkey in the repop business would be spitting them out. (soapbox mode off). Treadplate makes a nice bed if you don't care about originality, Flat metal will pop & crackle with the flex of the truck , good luck, later
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BryanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy an early 80s toyota pickup truck to beat around college and to tow your railbuggy with. What you paid for the truck is irrelavant. replacement parts and metal cost money plain and simple. if your looking to go cheap buy a toyota and you can bolt on a new bed on every other year. Good luck.

Motorwagen LLC
Concord NC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: