Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

covdubs new rail
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
covdubguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: covdubs new rail Reply with quote

so I did something stupid last week. Found this rail on Craigslist and I just had to have it, cause the other two VW projects we not enough. Here is what I bought.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I brought to my buddies shop and made it a roller

I spent the day taking it apart so I can start transplanting parts from my first rail.

I am going to take the motor, trans, trailing arms, rear brakes and spring plates from the old one and put it into the new one. I will be using the CNC pedals that came with the new car and I will be moving all the electrical from the old one to the new one.

Here is the goal. I want to make a good little street legal off-road car for the wife and kids. I have most of the parts to make this a pretty cool ride for them. I have been looking today to get ideas on the ball joint frontend. I have seen a post from dusty that had a great explanation of how to make a ball joint have somewhere around 10" of travel (cant remember for sure) but I cant find it. so if some one can point me in the right direction that would be great. For the rear suspension I will be notching the spring plates about 1/4" and indexing them one or two teeth.
Also if you have any ideas that would make this a better/safer ride please chime in.

oh and one more question, will the CNC pedal's that I have work for four wheel disc brakes?
here is a better photo of it.

Dirty hippies give busses a bad name
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using 3/4 in bore mc for my 4whl discs.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you thought I told of a way to get 10" of travel from a Bug ball joint suspension, you misunderstood something.

With a Type 3 ball joint front end, you CAN get 10 of travel. 57Baja (owner of Samba advertiser Kaddieshack) told how he did that in the SoCal Bajas build thread about the T3 for his son.

http://socalbajas.yuku.com/topic/174/57baja39s-Squareback-Build#.VZ1t7euRNHg

But the T3 has longer arms than T1 and the parts don't swap. You could fabricate longer T1 arms if you are a good fabricator. I don't recommend attempting it for most readers of this site.

You can get lift of 3" from lift spindles, plus about the same from rotating the center or installing adjusters in the beam, plus several inches of lift from taller tires. You MIGHT add up 10" of lift from stock Bug ride height.

With a linkpin suspension and stock front arms, you can get 10" of travel. Longer arms are available for link pin to allow as much as 15" travel.

So you can save yourself the further search for how to get 10" of travel from a Bug ball joint suspension.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Aerindel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm using 3/4 in bore mc for my 4whl discs.

Yeah, that works? I have a 3/4 MC that currently is just running rear only drum brakes, I have read that you need a 7/8th to run 4wheel drum brakes to say nothing of disc.

If this is true then I'm closer to street legal than I thought.

Sorry for the highjack.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=630046
GoMopar440
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't hurt to have the larger square type master cylinder for running four wheel brakes. Some people get by with the smaller round ones like you have, but I wonder how much fluid they have left in the reservoir when they have their foot on the brakes. Once the pads or shoes have worn some over time there is more fluid out in the wheel cylinders or calipers as well.

Then there's also the topic of single vs dual MC's which is a whole nother topic altogether. Rolling Eyes
Homemade rail for street & off road: BJ front beam (bent), IRS rear (boxed/maybe bent), stock T1 DP 1600, 009, 34PICT-3 (soon to be dual 40HPMXs), 4-1 glass pack exh, T3 brakes (F disk, R drum & Dual MC), Bug trans (002, 5 rib going in soon).
Link to my rail (re)build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=629493
covdubguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusty I was talking about you, and I guess I was very mistaken. Sorry about that. Thanks for setting me straight.
D Rock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing stoopid ever comes from CL...at least that's what I tell my wife
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

covdubguy wrote:
Dusty I was talking about you, and I guess I was very mistaken. Sorry about that. Thanks for setting me straight.

No problemo.

Hope I've been a help.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
covdubguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: covdubs new rail Reply with quote

WOW cant believe it has been 2 years. oh well.... life
So I have change my mind, again, I am going to make this into a street only rail.
The new goal for this is to make it as low as possible and still ride ok and handle great. I might also install one of the Subaru motors that I have.

I got the front adjusters and the IRS beef up kit almost finished.

Tomorrow I am going to start on running brake and hydraulic lines.

I haven't lost the itch to off-road. Here is the next project...

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: