Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I’m driving cross country in a 1962 VW Baja Bug!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

willroman wrote:
Cali_Army_Guy wrote:

You have any plans in the Bay Area on Saturday?

Nope... What do you have in mind?

On Google maps look up Lick Observatory, Mount Hamilton, CA 95140.

Not sure if you're in to that kind of thing but the drive to it is amazing even if you don't go inside. It's a little east of San Jose in the mountains.

Maybe meet up in Milpitas and take Hwy 130 up to it?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
pb_foots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea. The Lick Observatory is very cool, been up there many many times in the westy with my parents when I was a kid.

As you're hauling up that hill, try and remember that the entire observatory was built using materials brought up by horses. The reason the road is so long is that a horse can't go up a very steep grade with any kind of weight, so they built that road. Those guys were badasses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
willroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm possibly. That's a 2.5 hour drive from me in Berkeley. Something I'd rather do on the way out next week rather than have to go round trip. It does look awesome, though—exactly the kind of thing I'm into.

In other news... the engine has developed a disturbing metallic noise. Listen:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n1x17cmod3p991f/IMG_0998.MOV.mov?dl=0
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull the belt and see if it makes the same noise. Could be the fan contacting the shroud. Or stick your hand back there (engine off obviously) and see if there's any play/wobble to your fan.
willroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
Pull the belt and see if it makes the same noise. Could be the fan contacting the shroud. Or stick your hand back there (engine off obviously) and see if there's any play/wobble to your fan.

yup. Pulled the belt = no noise.

So what now?
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

willroman wrote:
Cali_Army_Guy wrote:

So what now?

Can you reach in the shroud and move the fan in any other direction aside from its normal movement? Like is there any up and down or side to side or back and forth movement? another possibility is something got in the shroud and the fan is kicking it around it there.

Last edited by Cali_Army_Guy on Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
willroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
willroman wrote:
Cali_Army_Guy wrote:

So what now?

Can you reach in the shroud and move the fan in any other direction aside from its normal movement? Like is there any up and down or side to side or back and forth movement?

No, not that I can tell. The entire shroud with the fan move just enough to make a faint knocking sound if I push front to back with my full weight. However the fan doesn't move independently of the shroud. The movement is so light it doesn't appear to be the cause of the noise.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing the belt is moving is the alternator/generator and the fan. With the belt off will it make the same noise if you spin the fan by hand?
willroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to check the fan for obstructions without pulling the engine? Seems like a significant operation to get the shroud off
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

willroman wrote:
Is it possible to check the fan for obstructions without pulling the engine? Seems like a significant operation to get the shroud off

You will just have to reach in there and feel for anything that may be causing the issue. But I am betting you have a bad bearing in the generator. The gen can be removed with the engine installed, but in a baja, it may just be easier to do it by dropping the engine.

I recently did the gen R&R in my bus without pulling the engine, and it wasn't too difficult. First time took me awhile, next time will be a piece of cake. Toughest part was reaching the bottom, inner fan backing plate 10mm bolt head. It hides down there behind the intake manifold.
willroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
willroman wrote:

You will just have to reach in there and feel for anything that may be causing the issue. But I am betting you have a bad bearing in the generator. The gen can be removed with the engine installed, but in a baja, it may just be easier to do it by dropping the engine.

I recently did the gen R&R in my bus without pulling the engine, and it wasn't too difficult. First time took me awhile, next time will be a piece of cake. Toughest part was reaching the bottom, inner fan backing plate 10mm bolt head. It hides down there behind the intake manifold.

Hmm if that's the case, at what point do I need to replace it? Will it cause any harm if I let it go awhile longer unattended to?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

willroman wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
willroman wrote:

Hmm if that's the case, at what point do I need to replace it? Will it cause any harm if I let it go awhile longer unattended to?

I would tend to want to replace/repair it sooner than later. Maybe pick up a rebuilt unit to have on hand as a spare? Replacing the bearings is pretty simple, maybe get a set and some brushes to have in your spare parts kit.
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

willroman wrote:
Hmmm possibly. That's a 2.5 hour drive from me in Berkeley. Something, I'd rather do on the way out next week rather than have to go round trip. It does look awesome, though—exactly the kind of thing I'm into.

In other news... the engine has developed a disturbing metallic noise. Listen:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n1x17cmod3p991f/IMG_0998.MOV.mov?dl=0

You have an alternator not a generator, I'm thinking one of the vanes in your fan shroud came loose, it's pretty common with after market shrouds. The spot welds come loose and the vanes fall off and rattle around in the shroud hitting the fan. You can try lifting the shroud up some to see if anything falls out. Pull the alternator strap off take the screws off on each side of the shroud where they meet the cylinder tins and remove your throttle cable from your carb. Now lift up the shroud and see if anything falls out. Maybe take the rear spoiler off also. Oh yeah don't forget to disconnect the battery and if needed mark your wires to the alternator and coil since its mounted to the shroud. I would remove the wires so you don't rip any. If you need to take the shroud out completely your carb sits pretty high I don't know if you will be able to maneuver it out without it hitting the top of the engine compartment. I would just drop the engine rather than taking the carb off unless you have a spare gasket ( carb to manifold ) that's just my opinion I don't like messing with carbs.
Good luck.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
willroman wrote:
Cali_Army_Guy wrote:

You have any plans in the Bay Area on Saturday?

Nope... What do you have in mind?

On Google maps look up Lick Observatory, Mount Hamilton, CA 95140.

Not sure if you're in to that kind of thing but the drive to it is amazing even if you don't go inside. It's a little east of San Jose in the mountains.

Maybe meet up in Milpitas and take Hwy 130 up to it?

hey im down to drive up to Lick Observatory...when we going? where we meeting?
willroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy — Not going to make the ride today. Thank you kindly for the invite!

I was messing around with the fan shroud and couldn't figure out what the issue was. I drove the bug around yesterday for a bit and, low and behold, no more sound. Strange. Perhaps I knocked an offending piece of desert clay out.

Last edited by willroman on Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
redbulltj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great trip, great adventure, great buggie!
willroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More photos! These are from the 4th of July in Black Rock Desert, Nevada.

redbulltj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Status?!?
willroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redbulltj wrote:
Status?!?

Hey! I left SF and made it down to Santa Barbara for a night. Currently I'm in the Silverlake area of LA. Hiked to the Griffith Observatory yesterday and watched one of their great planetarium presentations. I'll be in LA at least till Wednesday. Not sure what after; either staying longer, going down to San Diego, or back up to SF.

I'll try and catch up on my photos from Lake Tahoe and SF this evening.

The bug is running strong, however the fan noise is back with a vengeance. I'm thinking I'll run it as is until I get back to SF unless someone has a recommendation for a mechanic in LA that they absolutely recommend.
Lost in Space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see your still voyageing !

As for the fan. If it were me, I would keep medium tension on the belt and carry a spare. Check it often.

I would also warm the engine up with a few miles of easy driveing and then stop and check how hot your dipstick is to the touch.....be careful, it might burn ya.

Once you get a feel for how hot it gets under those conditions by touching it......try driving, say, 15 miles and check it again.

Note the difference.........your trying to gauge if your cooling system cant keep up with your distance and road speed.

If it gets dramatically hotter, to the point you cant even touch the dipstick for a moment, your in trouble.

Also, I would change my oil real often just for insurance.......me personally, without trying to start a oil arguement, would run 20w-50 in the hot climate areas.

Wish I was near you to help out with the fan noise. Confused
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: