Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1969 Bug Sedan Ignition Switch Wiring Question
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: 1969 Bug Sedan Ignition Switch Wiring Question Reply with quote

I have a 1969 Bug Sedan that I'm putting together from scratch. I have a new wiring harness, and have a pretty good sense of what goes where. However, my ignition switch, which was removed from the car during teardown phase, has four wires coming out of it, and I can't find anywhere that tells me which of those wires goes where.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I want to assume that the red wire connects to the red wire on the harness that runs to the starter solenoid, but I don't want to make decisions based on assumptions, so I'd love to have someone confirm that for me.

I'd also love to have someone tell me where each of the other three wires goes as well.

I have another whole bundle of wires coming from the turn-signal switch, but we'll have to deal with that another time. Confused

Thanks!
-- se

1969 Standard Beetle - under restoration
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bug_6869.jpg

Now is the time to become familiar with the wiring diagram, it shows where each wire goes
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jazbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/bug_6869.jpg

Now is the time to become familiar with the wiring diagram, it shows where each wire goes

Yes - I've seen that wiring diagram, as well as the others. However, I cannot tell from the wiring diagram, which of those 4 wires coming out of my ignition switch corresponds to which wire on the diagram. It doesn't help that I'm partially colorblind - can't see green at all, and have a little trouble with red.

Which is why I asked for some help.

Thanks,
-- se

60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look closely at the wiring diagram, each wire has a number and you can tell by then where they go. Invest in Bentley if you don't have one. It will explain what the wire numbers are for and their function.
If you are rewiring the whole car it is something you need to learn Wink

tasb wrote:

sb001 wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jazbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
If you look closely at the wiring diagram, each wire has a number and you can tell by then where they go. Invest in Bentley if you don't have one. It will explain what the wire numbers are for and their function.
If you are rewiring the whole car it is something you need to learn Wink

I know you are trying to be helpful in a fatherly, "you need to learn an important lesson" kind of way. However, at this point, it is not really helping.

I have a Bentley manual. I can take the ignition switch out and trace down all the numbered connections, but that will be a pain in the butt. I have already wired most of the car, and I do understand the process. I was just hoping someone who already knows could help me save some time by just telling me which wire in the picture goes where, or even which wire in the picture corresponds to which wire on the wiring diagram.

If all you're going to do is tell me to go figure it out for myself, you could have accomplished the same thing by just not responding.

If there is someone out there that can help me out a bit by just telling me which wire is which, that would be great. Otherwise, fine - I'll do it myself.

Thanks again (I guess),
-- se

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bug Sedan Ignition Switch Wiring Question Reply with quote

jazbug wrote:
I want to assume that the red wire connects to the red wire on the harness that runs to the starter solenoid, but I don't want to make decisions based on assumptions, so I'd love to have someone confirm that for me.

No, the red wire would be the positive voltage feed from terminal #30 on the headlight switch. The black would be the switched, non-fused wire that goes to the "hot" side of the fuse box, as shown in the diagram, then on to the coil positive terminal #15; one may wish to install an inline fuse there.

That puts the Black/red (or black/pink) wire as the wire to the starter solenoid #50. These can all be checked out using the ohmmeter function of your multimeter.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
jazbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Cusser. That will save me quite a bit of time. Appreciate the help.

-- se

60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes just trying to help, it isn't that hard to follow a wiring diagram.
Seems to me if I was rewiring a whole car I'd try and get some concept of how it all fits together so if I run into problems I could trouble shoot it myself.
But the internet makes that thought process absolute now.
so my apologies for being fatherly and trying to help Embarassed

tasb wrote:

sb001 wrote:
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bug Sedan Ignition Switch Wiring Question Reply with quote

jazbug wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That ignition switch looks like an aftermarket switch based on the wiring color.

The BEST way to make certain the circuits work as expected....
    With the ignition wires loose like in your pic, using a multimeter/ohmmeter....

With the ignition switch OFF, check that no two wire allow current flow (infinite resistance; no continuity).

With the ignition switch in the ON position, two wires will be shorted and allow current flow. Likely the red (#30) and the black (#15) wire.
    The black/red (#50) wire should not be connected to anything in this position.

Turn the key and hold it in the START position, all three wires should be connected together (red, black, black/red). This is how the red wire powers BOTH the ignition (#15) and the starter solenoid (#50).

The grey wire is optional and may be either grounded or powered while the ignition is OFF with key IN. This would set off a door buzzer.

If you find that the wire colors do not match but the function is there... change the wire labeling.

P.S. - The wire gauge seem small for the black/red wire. This could cause starter problems. Also, the aftermarket switches are known to have smaller contact areas internally and may not last as long.
Solution... install a hard start relay in the #50 circuit under the rear seat to prolong the life of the starter circuit inside the switch.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
TVL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1969 Bug Sedan Ignition Switch Wiring Question Reply with quote

Thank You Ashman 40.

Working through the same 4 wire aftermarket ignition wire scenario and found this very helpful.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: