Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aluminess Box with Gowesty swingout and Swag bin, pictures
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imdbui wrote:
whynotvw wrote:
One other thing I did, I got a thin yoga mat ( black rubber mat ) and made a insulation for the inside on all the inner walls including the inner roof and inner door. Made a huge difference in not making dents, scratches and noise rattling.

that's a great idea, did you use an adhesive? Any issues with it staying put?

Yes you have to use adhesive, I used 3M carpet adhesive in spray can. Works very well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sfschaad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone mounted the galley box directly to the GoWesty swing arm and not used the universal carrier? Just wondering if it would work or if there would be concerns with it rattling.
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sfschaad wrote:
Has anyone mounted the galley box directly to the GoWesty swing arm and not used the universal carrier? Just wondering if it would work or if there would be concerns with it rattling.

Yea I don't think I'd trust it just to the swing arm itself

I have it attached to the ladder as well. Makes it super sturdy even when it's all packed down
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HoustonPhotog wrote:
sfschaad wrote:

Yea I don't think I'd trust it just to the swing arm itself

I have it attached to the ladder as well. Makes it super sturdy even when it's all packed down

X2 if you don't have the ladder support it will not be strong enough. i had it just on the swing arm at first and it just wasn't strong enough. thankfully, gowesty came out with the ladder system which worked perfectly to make it more secure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rjhdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully agree with the above posts. You need the back support the ladder provides.

I would be suspect of the extended gowesty plate bracket. I strongly recommend the box raised 1-2" above the Base of the swing arm to provide enough clearance for clear visibility of tail lights. The box should be raised so folks can see your brake lights and blinkers.

Also, each box install should also get a 3rd brake light for additional safety.
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised to see 4-5 vans with this set up at the last Syncrofest. It felt good that other people had the same set up.

So after having this set up for about couple years I wanted to say it was money well spent and give a review.

The Aluminess box has held up very well, being made out of aluminum. Be surprised all the stuff you can jam in that box. The other thing that makes it really handy is the rails on top of the box. You can load a lot of stuff on top of the box and takes just seconds to lock it in with couple of bungee chords to the rail.

Last beach trip I loaded the boogie board, couple of folding beach chairs and umbrella on top of the box and it took 10 seconds to lock it in the rail. All the sandy toys, wetsuit , and towels went straight into the box.
Signalocity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are nice, but man are they pricey for what they are. Has anyone found alternatives?
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signalocity wrote:
These are nice, but man are they pricey for what they are. Has anyone found alternatives?

GoWesty is releasing one soon... via their latest newsletter

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went on some pretty brutal rocky Colorado roads for about 8 hours or so 2 days in a row and I noticed my box swaying from side to side. Pulled over and noticed the welds where the arm attaches to the flat plates had begun to separate.

I don't think its a defect. I think its just the weight coupled with the side to side movements over that length of time weakened it a bit. I tied it down while on the trail with some nylon paracord and it worked great after that.

Drove it home to Texas from Colorado with this fix and it held fine. Gowesty is sending me a replacement swing arm in exchange for my damaged one so they can evaluate it and see what transpired and if there is anything that can be tweaked. Great customer service! I didn't expect this at all, they noticed my problem on Instagram and I was already fully prepared to repurchase another swing arm when I got their message. Stand up folks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

hbmbguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminess Box with Gowesty swingout and Swag bin, pictures Reply with quote

Has anyone tried the GoWesty Box?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: