Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: TheDon's first VW: '64 low n slow Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Gratuitous stuff on roof rack shot!

Here she is, my first ever VW Beetle. She came home today from South Carolina and I could not be happier. It's a '64 with sunroof, rebuilt 1600 single port I think?, new brakes all around, lowered beam, dropped a click in the rear, roof rack, new pans(have a Brazil country of origin[would have preferred WW pans]), new heater channels, new tires, rebuilt pedals, new clutch and pressure plate,and freshly powder coated wheels.

I found this car through a friend on Facebook and after talking to the wife I made arrangements to buy it. It's not without it's flaws of course but for being over 50 years old it's pretty awesome. Driving it is like nothing I have ever had before.

Need to replace the deck lid, it has a massive dent and will not latch.

It's a little dirty but not too bad. The fuel filter situation will be remedied by Wednesday. I have 2 meters of German fuel line already, fuel injection hose clamps and a set of filters coming. I had two Fram G15's but the hose barbs were too big for the 5mm hose I bought.

Looks like it has a new fuel pump. No holes drilled into the dog house thankfully for that 12v converter box. I will want to do an alternator upgrade.

Close up.

That looks like it will be fun to replace.... The boot looks good. I do want to get a new wiring harness and the rest of associated bits to clean up the boot. I keep calling it an engine compartment but it's clearly not. This would be my second car with a rear mounted engine. The first was a DMC-12. Flasher relay is missing, found a one they will work on amazon. Tridon EP35 or something like that.

Interior is a mess but I've seen worse. Dash looks like it was never cut. I'd like to get a block off plate and put a modern radio in the glove box. Probably a cheap radio just for some tunes. Nothing fancy. If the entire car was never repainted as a whole I'd like to say the car is panama beige. The interior stuff matches egg I found in the color charts here on the site. As you can see I did put in a WW shifter lock. Very easy to install. Only took me 4 hours before I started yo work on the car!

Panama beige?

Need to fix the wipers. How hard are arms to locate?

Other things I need to do are all new window seals. The front pop outs need it bad. Plus the drivers side is missing it's latch and the passenger died won't move. The rear parcel tray needs some rust repair and I need to add sound deadener, protect the pans, and get a new interior. Oh and rebuild the sunroof stuff.

I have waited close to 18 years for one of these and I've been here lurking for 10 years!
Dake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet ride welcome to the club Very Happy
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How narrow is that beam?
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FullFender wrote:
How narrow is that beam?

I do not know. I plan on finding out soon. I do need to ride the front up. Currently has 135's up front but I'm thinking I need 145's with more sidewall.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get used to using Wolfsburg West 's web site to locate parts . Their parts are great quality and the blow up drawings help identify parts . they carry the wiper arms you are needing

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/img/wwpn/113955407B.jpg

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did see that and compared to a pair of used wiper arms its better off to buy new. I will put some rainX on the glass until I get those in.

I should make a list of parts I need to get in order to at least drive it without having a problem

horn doesnt work (need to trace out wiring
blinkers do not work (relay comes in tomorrow)
seatbelts (have already, need to install)
fuel hose and filter (have all stuff, replacing today)
fire extinguisher (need!)
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always opted to replace any questionable parts BEFORE it cost me more for a tow truck and the aggravation Wink

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
VW Habit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet ride! Be sure to put clamps on your fuel lines.
arizonabuckeye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW Habit wrote:
Sweet ride! Be sure to put clamps on your fuel lines.

Or relocate the fuel filter entirely.
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

already doing that tomorrow. I have the correct type of fuel line clamps coming to go with my new fuel lines.

I need to renew my AAA as well.

Just installed my lap belts, very easy install. Had to drill two holes into the pan since this pan which was replaced did not have the holes. I also seem to be having trouble sliding the seats. I need to grease them. The teeth that catch on the pan don't seem to fit either and I have no idea what the knob does on the side of the seats.

Other thing is both front seats have the slide release on the right side. That doesn't seem right to me. It's always mirrored from every car I have ever had.
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I drove the car to work, 12 miles or so each way. No problems to work but on the way home I had to turn back and get my laptop so I did. Parked the car and then went back to leave and the car would crank but not fire.

I poured a few bottles of water on the fuel pump and let it sit for 10 minutes and nothing. I got a ride home and will go back today to get it.

I have two fuel filters in the engine compartment which is dumb. And there is a hard line coming through the dog house which then connects to a filter and then to the fuel pump. That doesn't seem right to me. Then after the pump it goes through a filter again and then into the carb
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went back to the car a few hours later and it was fine...vapor lock I suppose.

Tonight I zip tied in an EP-35 flasher relay and now have turn signals. Well just the rears, not the fronts...

And this happened

lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDon wrote:

And this happened

What the ? Shocked
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the door panels are just warped and not broken you can wet the backs of them with a spray bottle to soften them and then put a heavy weight on them while they dry flat overnight . Shocked Smile

TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
If the door panels are just warped and not broken you can wet the backs of them with a spray bottle to soften them and then put a heavy weight on them while they dry flat overnight . Shocked Smile

they aren't warped, the vinyl has peeled off. I'm going to remove the interior this weekend and save what I can, which in not much. The door panel vinyl looks ok and probably can be reused.
Ghosttowncs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's a beauty! I dig it.
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Well today the blinkers have stopped working. I heard a lone click and then nothing after that whe I played with it. Yesterday I was at least getting the rear signals but no indicator light in the cluster nor front signals. The wiring harness looks pretty much original and ragged.
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no blinkers even after I used a better grounding location. Stumped on this one.

Also noticed that the wipers do not seem to really wipe much of the windshield. The drivers side blade stops at the 12 o'clock position and then reverses course. The passenger side, with new arm, doesn't even contact the glass. Not sure how to proceed with the wipers.

The front windshield really needs to be replaced, the gasket is pretty much shot, found a bit of water in the pan this morning.

Really need to get taller tires up front, currently has 135's. Discovered a new spot on a road that the beam will strike the road, but only when I have a passenger. Tore a nice chunk of road out and thankfully the beam is ok.
scottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to get the fuel filters out of the engine compartment. Put them underneath the car in before the hard line that comes through the firewall. That will alleviate any changes for fire and cut down the chance for the vapor lock.

Check your fuses under the dash for your blinker issue. You might want to replace the fuses with new ones any ways. Even if they look good they can sometimes not work. You're dealing with 50 year old parts.

Good luck and keep up the work on your new ride.
UberSlowWagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking car! Looks like you're plugging along and making good progress. I also have a panama beige 64

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: